He led from the front: Lieutenant Colonel killed in Afghanis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jul 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. He led from the front: Lieutenant Colonel killed in Afghanistan is highest-ranking British casualty since the Falklands

Last updated at 9:00 PM on 02nd July 2009
    Comments (30)
    Add to My Stories

Lt Col Rupert Thorneloe has been killed in Afghanistan. It is believed his car was blown up by a bomb

The commander of a British Battle Group spearheading the fight against the Taliban has been killed in an Afghanistan road side bombing - the most senior UK officer to die in action since the Falklands.

Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Thorneloe, of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, died when his command vehicle was blown-up by an improvised explosives device.

He is the most senior British officer to die in combat since Lt Colonel 'H' Jones, commander of 2 Para, was shot dead by Argentine forces during the battle of Goose Green in the Falklands War of 1982.

A soldier of the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment, Trooper Joshua Hammond, also died in the blast on Wednesday while taking part in Operation Panther's Claw - one of the UK's biggest co-ordinated air operations of modern times.
    More on the link

2. Tragic.

Meanwhile, the BBC site makes no mention of this, preferring to offer crap stories like "Missing cat turns up on TV show".

No, I am not making this up. That is why I am so angry.

Amendment 3 July.

I have since been informed that there was an embargo on the release of the news. I stand corrected.
    (Memo to self: check you have all the facts before flying off handle)
  3. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

A brave man, equal to his soldiers. RIP Sir
  4. RIP the fallen.

Condolances to family and friends.

Valhalla must be getting crowded... :cry:
  5. I knew him well. It seems a cliche, but he really was a top bloke all round. My lasting memory of him is standing in a pub in some dodgy part of NI, baggy arse of his jeans hanging down, checked shirt on, with a pint of Guinness in his hand and that big grin on his face. Nobody would ever say he was a typical Guards Officer, but he was one of the best and loved his Regiment. A terrible day for his wife & kids, and the rest of his family, but he died doing the job he loved and believed in. Rest in peace, big fella.

Attached Files:

6. Perhaps you should be more upset at the Daily Mail for not heeding this request from the family

"Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released."

Front page of the MoD site.
  7. Truly shocking - Sir, you were an inspiration, Rest In Peace.

The Times is now running with this as 'Breaking News'
  8. Unbelievable.

Sir, RIP.
  9. The MOD requested an embargo that was supposed to last until 10pm tonight (02/07/09).
    The fecking Sun broke the embargo several hours early and a raft of other sources followed suit. Sure hope no nearest & dearest had to hear the news from the media.
    I have no love for the BBC, but to be fair to them I think they're sticking to the embargo.
  10. Batch mates, chewed the same dirt and mad as a fish!! RIP Rupert, you'll be missed by many.
  11. Now top story on the Beeb, though they are taking their usual negative reporting stance (unlike the ITN coverage of Panthers Claw last week).

RIP for both men.
  12. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

It's now top story and first item on the 10o'clock news.

Want to calm down a bit, BTDT? Credit where credit is due.
  13. RIP thoughts for his family,