HDT (Public) Question - Difficult one, well for me anyway.

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Papa_Lazarou, Jul 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Kind and wise pay people, if any of you have the final answer on this question I'd be very grateful.

JSP 752:

04.1310. Toll, Passenger Ferry, Congestion Charges and Parking Fees. HDT (Public) or (Private) recipients who incur toll fees, passenger ferry costs, Congestion Charge, or parking fees at, or close to, train or coach stations or ferry terminals, as part of their regular journey to and from work, will be eligible to claim actual refund costs provided that their total daily return claim does not exceed the value of the appropriate HDT (Public) or (Private) 50 mile rate.

My question is, in interpreting this regulation, when applied with HDT(Public) auto

do you apply it as a standalone daily amount, so say if the charges were £2.00, but the HDT difference between 50 miles and HDT auto distance was £1.00, so therefore for every claim for £2.00 you can only have £1.00, but for every day you incur it. Giving you a JPA claim for £20 for a month.

or,

do you apply it cumaltitvely as the HDT auto is, so the difference is £1.00 x 30 days, making £30 max claimable, therefore you claim 15 actual out of 20 actual payment days at the full £2.00. Giving you a JPA claim for £30 for a month.

Finally for extra points, what additional guidance or resources would you use to aid the interpretation, as it is suggested either way could be correct?

2. Are you asking whether you should only claim for the days that you actually pay for parking or can you claim a monthly amount which could be rounded up to £30 as this would mean you would make up some of the difference in what you paid out?

If so, I think that you would only be able to claim for the days that you actually paid even though it is less than it cost you.

But I could be very wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

3. Pigsbum, Thanks for your reply. What i meant was, and explained badly, was

In either case I am only claiming the actual cost. In both cases the actual cost is more than the claim. If each day is standalone then it can only be worth £1 of the £2 actually spent on that day, if its cumalative then it could be the full £2 of the actual claim, but only for the number of days that take the total claim up to the 30 days x daily difference from HDT, even though the total days where the expense is payable is more.

So in both cases only actual expenses are claimed, and that is always less than the actual amount paid out over the month but depending on how its interpreted depends on how much less you get.

4. If you claim 48 miles HDT for example and the difference between that and the 50 mile rate is £27 a month, you can only claim up to £27 a month in Toll etc. If it costs you more than that, it's tough titties I'm afriad.

5. jt, thats the understanding I have, you are applying it cumaltively, which would make sense.

So I could claim the full rate for a few days until the total amount hits £27 then no more claims and as you rightly say tough titties and I pay the rest myself?

The interpretation I have been given is I claim the daily difference on the day and it is not cumalative.

6. 04.1325. Maximum Distance. All HDT (Public) and HDT (Private) claimants will be restricted to a maximum of 50 miles per single journey, including the distance of any PC, except for the following:

b. Individual cases may be submitted in exceptional circumstances (ie medical or compassionate) for SPVA Pay and Allowances Casework Cell (PACCC) authority to claim HDT (Public) or HDT (Private) for single journeys up to 70 miles.

As you can see from above, you can ask the PACCC to allow a HDT journey of 70 miles depending on the circumstances.

7. Hehe, nice people you have in your admin office.

Makes me proud to be a clerk.

Anyway, to resolve your issue.

HDT is paid as a daily rate, this is NOT the daily rate of travel costs, it is just the way it is done to pay you a daily rate for automated HDT occurances.

If they INSIST on using the 'daily rate' I suggest you throw this paragraph at them, so they at least use the right bloody one!

04.1328. Calculation of HDT Rates. Rates of HDT (Public) and HDT (Private) and the PC applicable in the UK are based on the Private Car Rate (PCR) of Motor Mileage Allowance (MMA) (see Section 6 of this Chapter) and are published in the annual SP Pol Pay and Manning (Allowances) Directed letter “Rates of Entitlement for Allowances for Service Personnel”. Overseas manual claimants will be paid at the appropriate overseas MMA at PCR for travel by private motor vehicles or on actual costs for other forms of transport. Overseas PC rates will be one or 9 times the local MMA at PCR mileage rate depending on whether they reside in public or private accommodation. Automated UK and overseas HDT daily rates assume 18 days per month, on average, are travelled to work and the daily rate is thus calculated for HDT (Public) and the first 27 miles of HDT(Private) as follows:

PCR MMA rate per mile x single mileage travelled x 2 (for return journey) x 18 (days) x 12 (months) ÷ 365 (days) = Daily Rate.

For 28 miles and beyond for HDT (Private) the daily rates are reduced for affordability reasons. They are calculated using the same formula as above but the resulting increase per mile is reduced by 2/3rds. The appropriate resulting daily rates are paid each day throughout the entitlement period. Fractions of miles are to be mathematically rounded up or down to the nearest whole mile (i.e. ,1.4 miles = 1 Mile, > 1.5 = 2 miles).

8. Hehe, nice people you have in your admin office.

Makes me proud to be a clerk.

Anyway, to resolve your issue.

HDT is paid as a daily rate, this is NOT the daily rate of travel costs, it is just the way it is done to pay you a daily rate for automated HDT occurances.

If they INSIST on using the 'daily rate' I suggest you throw this paragraph at them, so they at least use the right bloody one!

04.1328. Calculation of HDT Rates. Rates of HDT (Public) and HDT (Private) and the PC applicable in the UK are based on the Private Car Rate (PCR) of Motor Mileage Allowance (MMA) (see Section 6 of this Chapter) and are published in the annual SP Pol Pay and Manning (Allowances) Directed letter “Rates of Entitlement for Allowances for Service Personnel”. Overseas manual claimants will be paid at the appropriate overseas MMA at PCR for travel by private motor vehicles or on actual costs for other forms of transport. Overseas PC rates will be one or 9 times the local MMA at PCR mileage rate depending on whether they reside in public or private accommodation. Automated UK and overseas HDT daily rates assume 18 days per month, on average, are travelled to work and the daily rate is thus calculated for HDT (Public) and the first 27 miles of HDT(Private) as follows:

PCR MMA rate per mile x single mileage travelled x 2 (for return journey) x 18 (days) x 12 (months) ÷ 365 (days) = Daily Rate.

For 28 miles and beyond for HDT (Private) the daily rates are reduced for affordability reasons. They are calculated using the same formula as above but the resulting increase per mile is reduced by 2/3rds. The appropriate resulting daily rates are paid each day throughout the entitlement period. Fractions of miles are to be mathematically rounded up or down to the nearest whole mile (i.e. ,1.4 miles = 1 Mile, > 1.5 = 2 miles).

9. Double post

10. Triple post...

RLI being nice and laggy today :)