HDMI Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by tank6275, Jan 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im currently using the standard Xbox HDMI cable to like my 360 to the TV, but is there any advantage at using a "higher quality" cable or are they all much the same?
    are they worth the money for the difference seen?
  2. msr

msr LE

3. Use the standard one, it works well for me.
  4. As MSR posts, no, the only way you'd be shown a 'difference' is if a malignant tw@t in a shop shows you a signal using an analog cable and claims its from a cheap no-name brand cable.

If you trawl enough you'll see some people comment that its possible that current cheap cables will not be able to cope with future resolution bumps above and beyond 1080p ...

... only problem with that is that

a) there's every chance by that point the manufacturers will have called 'change places' on the cables at that point anyway - its a wizard wheeze for their bank balances (see DisplayPort for an example).

b) at that point your TV will be so large you'll want a new cable anyway to stop your Blueray player or whatever having to be halfway up the wall above the fireplace where you're now having to mount your f*cknormous TV

edit to add : if you try hard enough you can get an HDMI cable which doesn't ... but thats just shit manufacturing where the wire has a split, or has some shit soldering to the connector, or the wire breaks internally after a couple of bends ... but you really do have to try hard
  5. Oh well thanks for the answers!

Yea i read somewhere else shortly after that the HDMI cable being digital doesnt really matter about cable quality due to the fact the information is send digitally rather than in analogue therefore as long as theres data transfer the quality doesnt matter
  6. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

That's what I told the bloke in Comet last weekend when I treated myself to a 46" Samsung jobby and he tried to flog me a £30 HDMI cable. He reckons my £5 Tesco Value cable won't handle 1080p, only 720p, which I reckon was only slightly more believeable bullshit. However, my PS3 is only giving me 720p now so I'm starting to wonder. I'm going to have a fiddle with the console's setting later and see if I can squeeze a bit more out of it.
  7. If you don't sort it, either reply or PM me with details of TV model number - its unlikely to be the cable but it could be the TV ... or alternatively it could be the PS3 not picking up on the maximum supported resolution of the TV - try not letting it go 'automatic' on picking best resolution and instead explicitly tell it to use 1080i then 1080p and see if that works - there's been a number of TVs which don't correctly report.

Also not all games support 1080p anyway, and there some odd order of precedence in between 1080i and 720p being chosen if 1080p isn't available from the game or the TV
  8. I bought a cheap £16 HDMI cable from Tesco for my kids' XBOX-360 and they are getting 1080i out of it so its not bad at all. Ditch your PS3 and get a decent machine. Job done :D
  9. I didnt realise that the xbox could put out 1080p until the brother-in-law noticed during startup as it showed 720p in the corner of my screen, he went into the xbox screen settings and put it up, if he hadnt noticed that i would still be on 720 now i think
  10. I got a cheap Tesco £6.00 HDMI cable for the Xbox and it seems to manage fine at 1080. But my eye sight is crap.
  11. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Cheers. I think it was just the game in question because a quick look at the main settings showed me it was happily throwing out 1080p. The TV itself agreed.

Basically, the guy in Comet was a cunt. I did get a brilliant price on the TV, though.

(As well as Tesco Value HDMI cables, I noticed Sainsbury's were also selling some at a fiver when I was last in)