• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

HD-DVD throws in the towel

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSL1643184420080216

Toshiba Corp is planning to give up on its HD DVD format for high definition DVDs, conceding defeat to the competing Blu-Ray technology backed by Sony Corp, a company source said on Saturday.

The move will likely put an end to a battle that has gone on for several years between consortiums led by Toshiba and Sony vying to set the standard for the next-generation DVD and compatible video equipment.

The format war, often compared to the Betamax-VHS battle in the 1980s, has confused consumers unsure of which DVD or player to buy, slowing the development what is expected to be a multibillion dollar high definition DVD industry.

Toshiba's cause has suffered several setbacks in recent weeks including Friday's announcement by U.S. retailing giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc that it would abandon the HD DVD format and only stock its shelves with Blu-ray movies.

A source at Toshiba confirmed an earlier report by public broadcaster NHK that it was getting ready to pull the plug.

"We have entered the final stage of planning to make our exit from the next generation DVD business," said the source, who asked not to be identified. He added that an official announcement could come as early as next week.
About time too!

Avoid anything with HD-DVD written on it.

Hello Taz_786,

I pity any poor retailer with HD-DVDs in stock.
Right now I am ordering an drive,guess what it will not be.

tangosix.

P.S.Daytona955,yuer mahrn Jewy,great talent,lived fast,died fast.

It was obviously coming. Blu ray holds more information. Plus from a retailer's point of view (which is my industry) I personally didn't take any HD-DVD stock for my chain.

Does that mean my new betamax is going to be obsolete?
I'd be gutted after shelling out so much.
Maybe I can upgrade it somehow, can anyone provide technical assistance please in simple laymans terms.