HCav Life Guards and Blues & Royal

Discussion in 'RAC' started by ConCTKD, Dec 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When choosing your regiment, do you choose HCav like you would 2RTR, QRL, QDG and so on, or do you choose the Life Guards or the Blues and Royals? Also, apart from ceremonial dress, what else are the differences between the 2?

2. I strongly suspect that you would choose the capbadge (LG or RHG/D). As to the difference besides the ceremonial uniform and capbadge, not much in reality. No doubt a kindly HCR type will be along shortly to tell you that they have totally different cultures, but given that they operate as part of the same two regiments, the reality is that there is no significant difference beyond what you would find in any two squadrons of another regiment.

3. Aren't they techniqually the same regiment? I was told the CO is one capbadge, RSM (or whatever they have, RCM?) is the other.

4. My Troop at Pirbright had a few aspiring donkey whallopers, they had already chosen whether they wanted to be Blues and Royals or Life Guards and after drill test one wore their respective capbadges.

5. Why? Do they wallop their donkeys differently?

6. No difference between them at Regimental level. Little different in traditions, but even they are fading. (Banging brooms, singing something about Lloyd George etc),however both Blues and LG now do this at Brick-hanging.

So don't worry about the regiments, all the Sqns at Windsor (Armd) are mixed and are separate for ceremonial duties at Knightsbridge.

Hope it helps

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. Because differences are so minimal, would it be shallow of me to say Blues and Royal are my choice as I prefer their ceremonial dress? When deployed on ops, do the two combine e.g. LG driver and RHG/D gunner & commander?

8. No, it doesn't matter who is Gunner, Driver etc. Its a mixed bag.

Go Blues if you want, it makes no difference apart from you have to black out your capbadge instead of shining it.

Any specific questions.... I'm down there next week, I can get it from the horses mouth (great pun, I thank you).

9. Any knowledge of what is standard dress when around the barracks at Knightsbridge. Is it combats?

10. Mmmmm. MTP for guard etc. Coveralls for mucking out, and the rest is a mix of buckskins and State Dress I believe.

Im not HCMR but have spent a number of years in Windsor.

You may end up in Windsor first

11. Most people say its HCMR for 2 years and then you head over to Windsor

12. Not true (at least not since 2011) you can end up straight at Windsor. I would thoroughly recommend getting to Windsor first, it will make you a better Tpr and then go to HCMR as a NCO.

But whatever floats your boat

Whatever you decide, it's a good Regt to join

13. A couple of other threads have suggested that going to Knightsbridge first means when you turn up at Windsor you're not fresh out of training, your personal admin is second to none. But I guess both side have their benefits, thats why the Household Cavalry appeals to me.

14. Can you ride a horse?

15. Nope, well i've never tried