HCA Officer

#1
How will this work? Can RGN's be expected to accept unequivocally the clinical guidance of a commissioned HCA? What do people think?
 

missy

Old-Salt
#2
two ways of taking it!
1 - they could be a good leader of people and organisation etc and if they listen to the more medically knowlegable then they could get a long

or

2- in the NHS they are classed as band 2/3 workers, they do not have the skills of nurses/doctors/OPD's etc infact they don't have many clinical skills (don't shoot me I was one once and found that you were very limited) and you wouldn't have a staff nurse or a HCA incharge or a ward department, which is essentially I imagine what an officer would do and essentially they are providing medical care.

Personally I don't think as a trained nurse I would want to take orders from a HCA after all the training an knowledge I have learnt. But then again a HCA may still be able to lead etc, but at the end of the day, a nursing/medical officer is there to lead and to provide knowledge and understanding of medical topics/situations etc and if a situation came about where a leader was needed to instruct about a medical situation, inlcluding providing treatment and theory, I don't think that is the job of a HCA! On the basis of admin skills etc it could work to provide support (like a ward clark/manager in the civi world)
 
#3
I don't think you'll see that person on the ward, she :wink: will be admin or training only! However a good step to give those good HCAs a chance to commission
 
#4
Cheers K

It will be similar to the MSO cadre for the RAMC

a sort of Health Care Support Officer
 
#6
Not the one I was thinking of then. Its a good thing, heard loads about it for the past few years and I am pleased to hear that it is not just another corps rumour.
 
#7
It will happen and soon, and the one who I think will get it deserves it......and it might, only might, put HCAs on a better footing
 
#8
RAF_Nurse! said:
How will this work? Can RGN's be expected to accept unequivocally the clinical guidance of a commissioned HCA? What do people think?
I don't think that will be the case, the commissioned HCA as dui-lai has previously mentioned would do very well in admin roles.

They should be known as NSO's (nursing support officers) pretty much like the MSO's (medical support officers), you don't see MSO's giving out medical knowledge to qualified doctors do you.
 

Ventress

LE
Moderator
#9
RAF_Nurse! said:
How will this work? Can RGN's be expected to accept unequivocally the clinical guidance of a commissioned HCA? What do people think?
The only guidance a HCA would be giivng on a ward is how to damp dust and which way the knife and fork went.
 
#10
Ventress said:
RAF_Nurse! said:
How will this work? Can RGN's be expected to accept unequivocally the clinical guidance of a commissioned HCA? What do people think?
The only guidance a HCA would be giivng on a ward is how to damp dust and which way the knife and fork went.
And how to give a hand-job correctly whilst giving a bed bath :twisted:
 
#12
but knowledgable in the ways of the HCA!!
 
#13
Whats all this HCA b*llocks then? That the same as a trolley dolly/Ward stewardess then?!!!! :D
 
#15
I have found on tour that the HCA are working in a role similar to that of the civillian medical technicians as well as all that standard HCA stuff. All power to them, give me more brew time!
 
#16
brew_n_beer said:
I have found on tour that the HCA are working in a role similar to that of the civillian medical technicians as well as all that standard HCA stuff. All power to them, give me more brew time!
I've never forgiven the QAs for when they got rid of the white dress's :twisted:
 
#17
So the new 'no expense spent' DMS uniforms dont float your boat, surely not!
 
#18
dui-lai said:
brew_n_beer said:
I have found on tour that the HCA are working in a role similar to that of the civillian medical technicians as well as all that standard HCA stuff. All power to them, give me more brew time!
I've never forgiven the QAs for when they got rid of the white dress's :twisted:
you dont mean the 'see through' white dresses ??


naughty boy - off to the showers with you - COLD!
 

Ventress

LE
Moderator
#19
So in theory, when CMT's get Borged by the HCA trade in the next few years,the HCA commission will be a MSO commission anyway.
 
#20
Ventress said:
So in theory, when CMT's get Borged by the HCA trade in the next few years,the HCA commission will be a MSO commission anyway.
Now there's a thought.........so does that mean a certain couple of RSMs who happen to be married to each other, will soon be the same trade and cap-badge :twisted:
 

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top