HBSA Wapenshaw 14th December

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Henry_Tombs, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any Arrsers attending the above?
    I understand that the HAC are relinquishing their clubhouse lease back to the NRA so this may be the last occaision we have our pre Christmas steak and kidney pie lunch in there.

Ugly are you doing it again this year?

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm hoping to I'll email the range coordinator and book myself in. I thought it was next weekend for some reason and wouldnt be able to make the date!
    I'll only be bringing one rifle though and that depends on a few issues.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Henry, you do know its at 600 yards?
    I'm in two minds as the 200 yards of previous years is great for sporting rifles and I'm working flat out to get my swede on the road again!
    I hope the HAC are only moving to another lodge, if not its another nail in the coffin!

4. Yes 600 yards, that surprised me a bit! :(

I intend to take the Long Lee and possibly a post war wire bound Indian Smellie; I have been working on a Mk VI load for the Long Lee, 215 Grn bullets from "BES Bullets" who advertise in "Report" over 36.3 Grns of VihtaVouri N160, it's slower as you know then N140 and seems to like the longer barrel on the Long lee.

In truth I'm only going for the steak and kidney pie! :D

5. BES bullets? Care to enlighten me?

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm tempted to turn up and eat which is an option, my oldest lad is always in favour of this!

7. They advertise in the Journals of both the HBSA and LERA; the main claim to fame is the 215 Grn round nose bullet, I was a touch dubious as they are .310" and most Enfields of the age of my Long Lee would prefer at the minium a .311" or even as much as a .315", however having loaded some the other day I found myself knocking over the Fig 11 @ 300 yards on the ETR at Longmoor, something I have struggled to do with Mk VII bullets in the Long Lee before.
    They also swage MH 577-450, Long Range Sharps and 577 Enfield.

BES Bullets
    Orchard House
    Leys Lane
    Hampole
    Doncaster
    DN6 7ES
    Tel: 01302 330726

Malcolm Seller & Dennis Chamber are the names on the paper work, I paid £12.50 for 50x 215 Grn + £5 p+p.

In fact I'm so pleased I have just ordered another 50!

8. Sounds worth pursuing. I've been hoping to replicate the pre MkVII loads for some while.Are they copper jacketed? The Australian 215 gr round nose that Kynoch load are steel and gilding metal.

9. Yes copper jacketed, the ogive is a touch fuller than the original but certainly the best I have come across as per the spirit of original.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ah the magical spirit of the original, if only other members played ball rather than loading lead cast pills at just enough ME!

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Just heard from our range organiser that the HAC is quitting Bisley completely, end of an era and a sad event! I suppose the club will be empty and falling down within a year as no one will take on the NRA and the charges!
    Apparently the ending of CILOER has a lot to do with it. Mr FM and I were discussing an HAC whip round but even if its saved it still needs running as a business and opening doors to orgs such as BASC, NGO etc would be great!

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sorry fat fingers and pished CILOR!

13. Not pished at this end but still lacking an understanding of CILOR?

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I think its a TA means of paying people or was, you need to ask in the TA thread or do a search!