HBMGC/Tank Corps Memorial Ypres Salient 1917 - 1918

(from Switches - copied from the 3RTR forum)

A brand new HBMGC/Tank Corps Memorial commemorating the entire HBMGC and Tank Corps actions in the Ypres Salient during WW1, is to be placed in the little Village of Poelkapelle, West Flanders, Belgium. This Memorial will then become the ONLY Tank Memorial in Belgium. The official Inauguration date has yet to arranged however, this date will revolve around the RTR entirely. I envisage it will be at the latter end of the year.

Sitrep today.

The proposed Memorial has been designed.
The funding is in place and secure.
The Flemish Government and local Governement have officially offered the plot of land in Perpetuity.
RTR HQ & the RTR are directly involved.
* All official RTR Association branches will be contacted soon, either by RTR HQ or myself in due time regarding attendance details etc.
Discussions are at present taking place between all parties concerned, regarding the Inauguration Ceremony date and details.
Apart from the main Inauguration Ceremony, the 2 day event will also come complete with a wreath lay Ceremony at the grave of Captain Robertson VC Tank Corps. The necessary Menin Gate Memorial Last Post Ceremony and a battlefield tour.

Chris Lock.

Coordinator. Proposed Tank Corps Memorial Ypres Salient 1917 - 1918.

Edited to add awaiting further info from bjt and will add info as and when.

elovabloke

ADC
Good CO said:
(from Switches - copied from the 3RTR forum)
This will be updated over the weekend with the info sent by BanjoTrooper with further updates from Bovy as and when.

elovabloke

ADC
banjotrooper said:
The Register book stored in the Register Cupboard will list the grave and CWGC of every Tank Crewman buried or Commemorated in the Ypres Salient.

There will also be a Visitors book as per usual.
Visitor’s books once full will be offered to RTR HQ for their record archives.

Other Memorial information.

The Memorial height is the exact height of a WW1 MK 4 tank.
The Memorial width is the exact width of a MK 4 track including mud spuds.
The Memorial base will be the exact shape and size of a MK 4 fighting compartment for 8 crewmen.
Black is the singular build colour for obvious reasons.
Black Brick with black cement is the chosen build material. This reflects the strength of this hardworking, robust and close knit Regiment.
The entire Memorial and base will be protected by black metal bollards and chain link. Inside this enclosure there will also be an information/photo board and the black Garden of Remembrance stonework planters. These will be filled with Flanders Fields mud and will then contain the 242 personally identified Poppy Crosses. 1 for every fallen tank crewman. They will be placed there during the Inauguration and annual Ceremonies.

* DONATIONS:

I DO NOT require donations as the Memorial has already been financed however, the RTR have already signalled that they wish to offer a small donation. They wish for a physical connection and I understand this. I have accepted this offer as it is after all, their Memorial. The RTR donation will show in the Credits page at the rear of the Memorial Register Book if they so wish. I will also accept any donation from any RTR Association and also from SERVING or EX SERVING RTR/attached personnel, no matter how much or how little!. All Association or individual sponsors will then be forever included in the Memorial Register Book if they so wish but I do stress. The Memorial has already been paid for but I now believe it is necessary, to include *ALL/EX Tankies if they so wish with a physical link to their own Memorial to Commemorate their own! No more, no less.

* I will only accept donations from RTR and attached personnel such as LAD etc. This MUST be a HBMGC/Tank Corps/RTR only Memorial only.

Your donations will be used in the build cost to ensure your link is protected and monies then saved from the initial pot will be put aside for the Memorials own maintenance fund.

Best wishes.

Switches. :wink:

elovabloke

ADC
Thank you for your phone calls and emails.

For those of you who wish to make a donation as previously mentioned, here you go:

TANK CORPS MEMORIAL.

IBAN BE24 0015 7748 5738

Swift code: GEBABEBB

Receipts will be sent out monthly if required.

The account has been set up to accept Sterling or Euros.

Please note: The banks over here will NOT accept UK cheques. All donations by bank transfer using the above codes only. * Please confirm with me donation details once donation has been paid in by pm or email.

If you wish, your personal details will be included in the Memorial Register book credits section as also mentioned however, your donation figures will not show. Please include your Name Rank Number and Regiment/Unit. RTR Associations etc will appear by Association name.

elovabloke

ADC
Cheers Ludge. Please also pm me YOUR NAME, RANK, NUMBER and UNIT :roll: for spell check confirmation etc. This applies to ALL sponsors please. If Ex, your last military personal details will do. The Memorial WILL only have RTR/ATTACHED sponsors. To be eligible for inclusion, current/past RTR/ATTACHED personal ID required. Then forward on to me via email or pm please. :wink:
A certain well known RTR personality has just pledged £500.00. Nice one Sir! :D
If you require your personal details to be included in the Memorial Register Book sponsors section. You will need to do this however, it is not compulsary. Remember guys, it will not show the donation figures, only that you are a bona fide sponsor of the Memorial itself.

Bank address Details:

Fortis Bank,
Kantoor Zonnebeke,
Langemarkstraat 19,
8980 Zonnebeke,
West Flanders.
Belgium.

To pay in:

IBAN BE24 0015 7748 5738
Swift Code GEBABEBB

Any probs, just shout OK! :wink:

elovabloke

ADC
On page 2 of www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk at the bottom of the page. You will see 2 photo's of knocked out C Batt tanks. One is C47. If anyone can help us ID this tank by name or both from any books you lot may have, we would appreciate it very much! Thank you.

Hi Guys.

The Tank Memorial web site has been much uploaded over the last week or so.

All future Inauguration Ceremony and Memorial details will be placed on the main Tank Memorial Ypres Salient and RTR web sites.

Please go www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk

or www.royaltankregiment.com

FEAR NAUGHT.

:wink:

The Inauguration weekend has now been confirmed as Saturday 10th October and Sunday 11th October 2009.
Please go www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk for new image of Tank Memorial and Itinerary.

Best wishes.

Chris Lock.
Coordinator Tank Memorial Ypres Salient.

The Tank Memorial Ypres Salient web site has been updated with new information.

The Inauguration Ceremony weekend is attracting much attention indeed! I have been receiving many communications regarding accommodation in the town. Much has already been booked. If you are serious about attending this very special Ceremony and tank battlefield tour, I can only suggest you book sooner rather than later.

I have respectfully requested a RTR senior Officer, Regimental Standard and Guard Party plus regimental piper. RTR HQ will confirm this attendance in late July or otherwise.

The UK Ambassador to Belgium has been invited.
Harry Patch, the Last Fighting Tommie has been invited. He fought alongside the Tank Corps with the 20th Light Divisions assault into Langemark during the 3rd Battle of Ypres.
The Belgian Military will emulate the British Army attendance. It is their Memorial likewise. It was their troops who eventually captured the fortified Village of Poelcapelle.
The families of several Tank Corps Gallantry medal winners will be attending including the family of Capt Clement Robertson VC. They will be bringing his actual VC with them to his graveside and to the Memorial Inauguration Ceremony. His was the 1st VC to the Tank Corps.
All RTR Associations will be invited along with Belgian Veterans Associations.
Several Pipe & Drum bands have already committed themselves.
There will be a special Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing on the Saturday evening. Please go www.lastpost.be and see calendar listing.
This is becoming a major RTR ceremony indeed!

Please go www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk for new updates.

Best wishes.

Chris Lock.
Coordinator. Tank Memorial Ypres Salient.

YesItsMe said:
I remember seeing the first rough draft in February and it already caught me.

But this sure looks absolutely brilliant now. I'm deeply impressed, BT. What a heck of a job !
Just had a week end with Mr & Mrs BJT down in lovely Wipers. It turned out to be a working week end, as we all ended up doing a TEWT for the memorial day in October. For me I doing the Capt Robertson route was absolutely fantastic & for those who turn up for that week end are in for a fascinating time. The other wonderful experience that I had, was meeting the local population who are 100% involved with this project, from the local school in Polcapelle to the man who is the brain child of building the replica MK IV. If you haven't already, look at the site, pass the word around to those who don't have IT or electricity, it be a shame if we the RTR can't match the local turnout :D

This is Johan, local teacher/engineer who has already completed a full size WW1 aircraft flying replica. He think this will take another 2 years, he is even going to re-produce the links. A lot of help has come from T31b on the oily bits.

A likely crew :? :roll:

Close up of the frame work, which wil be clad in metal, not wood or plastic :D

New updates added to the Tank Memorial Ypres Salient web site. Especially to the Inauguration Ceremony itinerary. :wink:

Here you go: http://www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk/

Best wishes.

Chris.

banjotrooper said:
New updates added to the Tank Memorial Ypres Salient web site. Especially to the Inauguration Ceremony itinerary. :wink:

Here you go: http://www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk/

Best wishes.

Chris.
You're doing a cracking job BJT, keep at it mate. Good luck.

Thank you Arfur. Your positive comments are much appreciated however, I must point out there are several others heavily involved in this project, such as T31B who I am visiting this weekend profesionally and socialy of course and our little friend in Herford VTT. The rest of the team are all Belgians who realy just want to show their appreciation and offer commemoration and remembrance to our fallen tank crews. I have a super team! I will pass on your kind comments. Cheers mucker! :D

banjotrooper said:
Thank you Arfur. Your positive comments are much appreciated however, I must point out there are several others heavily involved in this project, such as T31B who I am visiting this weekend profesionally and socialy of course and our little friend in Herford VTT. The rest of the team are all Belgians who realy just want to show their appreciation and offer commemoration and remembrance to our fallen tank crews. I have a super team! I will pass on your kind comments. Cheers mucker! :D
And they have a super leader. ;)

The idea, the first draft and of course to keep everyone not just going on but improving and enjoying the whole project ... well I think it's vital to tell you what an outstanding job you're doing, Banjo. :)

Thank you Connie. I'm all blushed up now! :oops:

Now behave please or I will tell all about your relationship with tractors!!! :wink:

Have fun.

Switches.

The Tank Memorial Ypres Salient construction started this morning and RTR HQ have also confirmed the Regiments attendance.

The Tank Memorial Ypres Salient web site has been updated with the Regimental attendance details.

Here you go: http://tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk/

Best wishes.

Chris Lock
Coordinator
Tank Memorial Ypres Salient.

Latest Threads