Haynes & Cann Aircrew Boots

Bad CO

Admin
As a former pilot myself I was interested to get this in the email:

I write to advise that the Haynes and Cann Company supplier to the MoD for aircrew boots since the early days of the RAF. The company supplied the Type '65 boot with high and low ankle known since 1965 in service since that era and known to most aircrew in all 3 services. Later Type included the Lightweight MK1 boot for specific application Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft. Designed with the participation of the MoD. Then the MoD cancelled the contract as the previous directors of the company refused to lower the sales price. The MoD then knee jerked and purchased the USA Bellville boot for aviators but after 9 months the contract was dropped, as the boots received horrible complaints. Including being too wide for the Hawk Jet rudder pedals etc. The MK1 was a near perfect flyer boot which included many features which made them safe to use in aircraft platforms - especially the sole patter. Whereas they are not ideal for terrain having low profile sole patterns to protect the aircraft coatings and actuators from Mud and FOD, waterprooof, flameproof, anti static, anti grease and oil and breathable and Lightweight. Then as BAE systems producer of the Typhoon aircraft also found itself wihtout an approved boot to supply its customers - being all the Typhoon operators around EU and Middle East.

Haynes and Cann is under new management + ownership and the Type '65 and MK1's are back in production. Available in Black and Tan colours.

With kind regards

Sounds like a classic example of MoD Procurement, especially as it would appear that they cost £190 (VAT excl) per pair!

Now available to buy online at http://haynesandcann.weebly.com/ for the bargain price of £140 (VAT incl). An

Vasco

War Hero
Beautifully made boots but such a strange shape around the ankle - no wonder they came off during an ejection sequence.

I have had several pairs of these, but ordering a new pair online cannot compete with the original RAF Flying Clothing stores experience, which always included much sucking of teeth and sharp intakes of breath on the part of the brown dust-coated civvy storeman, and much frustration on the part of the individual who simply wanted to exchange a pair of worn out flying boots for a new pair.

According to MJDI they have a Basic Price of £204.363

NSN range is 8430 99 9310079 to 8430 99 9310119, DMC = 22C, C Class, UOI = PR

I'm sure somewhere an ACF AI is getting all tumescent about buying a pair - but the things are operationally useless. All very good wearing a pair for UK tasking and training but the prospect of finding yourself wandering around nasty places wearing combat high slippers isn't one I was willing to entertain.

How much did the MOD pay for aircrew gloves? Seem to remember people thinking they were ally.
Good for flying and driving but useless outdoors

Thin, short-lasting and poor grip. Why would anyone want a pair?
To have the whole of your heel taken off when worn on CFTs. I never understood why that QHI in 5 Regt did that during my lesson. Funny to see the finished product - face and foot!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Bad CO

Admin
I possess feet of hobbit like dimensions so always felt as though they were being crushed. Possibly they were sized using the proportions for elves/cinderella/FJ aircrew.

I have had several pairs of these, but ordering a new pair online cannot compete with the original RAF Flying Clothing stores experience, which always included much sucking of teeth and sharp intakes of breath on the part of the brown dust-coated civvy storeman, and much frustration on the part of the individual who simply wanted to exchange a pair of worn out flying boots for a new pair.

I loved the fact that they were so speshul that you actually got a tin of flying boot polish with the initial issue.

Or picked up for free by the ric as they were left outside for thr choggis to polish.
Cheers biggles :)

Latest Threads