Hayfever & Inhaler

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by qzfbxbk8, Jan 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've posted this in Health & Fitness too but just thought I'd see if anyone on here had had a similar experience?

I went to my AFCO on Thursday and was given my application forms to fill in. However after reading the guidance notes I have a major concern about the conditions which prevent entry. I’m In good health although I suffer from hayfever in the summer...I take antihistamines, but its nothing major. HOWEVER, in 2005 one of the side effects was a tight chest first thing in the morning. According to my GP, I don't have asthma and NEVER have had it. BUT in the past I have been prescribed asthma type drugs to treat it. I have not had them since 2005 but I have heard stories of people being rejected because of this. Will this be the case?
  2. Best people to tell you that will be the MO at ADSC, LoL... Hayfever generally does not bar entry, however more serious cases would have to be looked at in more detail on a case by case basis...
  3. any asthma related medical problems will be highlighted by the doctor only going on what you say if you gp said you havent had it then they will more than likely give you a simple lung function test at selection as
    long as you havent suffered an asthma attack/fit you should be fine

relating hayfever check this thread for more
  4. Thanks for that. All I really want is the opportunity to prove I am fit, healthy and suitable to serve.

I can understand why the army rejects those that are at risk of attacks or rely on medication, but I don't. I had a lung function test when I joined a new gym a few months ago and was told everything was fine.

I just hope I get the chance to prove it
  5. Ive read about asthma in the fitness guide somewhere.
    I think if i remember right it says that asthma wont stop your chances of getting in as long as you havnt had it in the last 4 years.
  6. ive seen it also but im sure its any history at all of an attack like the fella bradders says just keep goin on with your app see what happens good luck
  7. ye i have had very very nild asthma all my life, however i never need my inhaler and i am considering to my gp wether i even have the dreadful illness anymore.

8. Hayfever is ok but they rejected me as I once possessed an inhaler dispite the fact I never used it! I appealed and was excepted back in which wasted 5months of my time, moral being dont tell about an inhaler if you dont need one!
  9. I went to see my GP and he tells me that according to my records, the inhaler was prescribed for a chest infection. He's told me that he can't see it being a problem and offered to write a letter for me, saying it was a one off 2 years ago and that I have never had asthma.

I've got no intention of hiding it though. It will show up on my records, so if it takes me 5 months then fine. It'll be worth it in the end :D
  10. Your doctor is your friend, get them to write x,y and z notes, including copies to take selection. This helps you not being deferred (if you meet requirements) and also speeds up the process of investigation into whatever your gp has ticked off.
  11. My son was rejected from the army because he had hayfever and had on one occassion been prescribed with an inhaler to help the condition. The letter told him that he had to be free from the use of the inhaler for four years at which time he was free to reapply.

Using the Freedom of Information Act, I asked the MOD to provide statistics on the number of serving personnel who:

A. Had hayfever and,
    B. Were prescribed inhalers.

The MOD could not provide any stats as hayfever is not a recordable condition.

Based on that information and the fact that I knew that my son was fit and healthy, coupled with my personal knowledge of hayfever sufferers who are serving, I appealed the initial decision and also wrote to MOD and my local MP. Two months later the decision was rescinded and my son attended ADSC and passed his medical. So I would advise that if you are otherwise fit and healthy but do get knocked back because you have hayfever, challenge the decision.

Personally, I do not think that the MOD should be sifting people out with such minor conditions at a desk level and should give such people the benefit of a medical anyway.
  12. Please look at the numerous threads on Asthma within the Health and Fitness forum. In them you will find clear reasons why the MoD sift out people with 'such minor conditions' not least because asthma can and still does kill, because the risk is higher in the Forces (I have seen the consequences of asthmatics in the desert) and because we have a duty of care to look after soldiers by preventing them from being exposed to unnecessary risks.

Hayfever is a known risk-factor for asthma, hence the interest.

As for medicals, there has to be a cut off to prevent obviously asthmatic individuals wasting their time (and the doctors') on medicals. If there is an element of doubt then the individual can take all the evidence he has (with cover letter from GP) to the medical and let the experts decide.

More details on the above can be found in Health and Fitness.
  13. Pangur. I accept your point regarding asthma. My comment was about hayfever. If as you say that hayfever can be a pointer towards asthma and I bow to your knowledge on this subject, then wouldnt a formal medical be a better judge of each individual circumstance rather than a straightforward rejection as was initially the case with my son? I do understand what you say regarding cost implications but with manning levels struggling as they are in many places surely there is scope for some investment even if, as in my lads case, only some of those who would normally have routinely been rejected get through?

I accept that it may be difficult to discuss in too much detail without knowing the whole medical histiory of each individual and I admit that the advice I gave made on my own personal experience will not work for all, however the main point I wanted to make was for people in similar situations to challenge and not simply accept, if, apart from a mild case of hayfever they generally tick all the other health boxes.