Having trouble with Torrents

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by thrombo, Mar 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend of mine wants to download films and music, but is having trouble. He has Windows Vista, and he is sure that it is Vista that is causing him the problems.
    He has no trouble downloading uTorrent, and knows how to search for and download the media he wants. However, when it comes to downloading the media file, it won't download.

Any help that I could pass onto him would be greatly appreciated.

This is what his screen looks like when he tries downloading media;

Attached Files:

2. I'm assuming that this has something to do with the court case which the Pirate Bay has been fighting recently as since then I haven't been able to download any music from BitTorrent either.

I'll see if I can find anything concrete.
  3. I think the problem is he's using version 1.7.7, a lot of sites don't support that version of UTorrent.

Tell him to D/L an earlier version. I still use 1.6 and it works fine.

What torrent site is he using btw?

4. He is using isohunter. do you recommend another?
  5. ISO hunter is a bit crap !! Tell him to use bit soup, or pirate bay...Allegedly :roll:

6. ok will do. any ideas on how to get it working? he can't for the life of him get anything to download!?
  7. As per my 1st post. Tell him to search for an earlier version of utorrent (1.6) and use that - bin 1.7.7, and that should sort him out.

Failing that, has he set up his router/modem correctly - and opened up the ports to allow P2P sharing?

8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Is the required port open?

Click "Options", click "Speed Guide", then click "Test if port is forwarded properly".

Unless the correct port is open, you'll have no end of trouble.

(I'm on Vista, utorrent 1.7.7, no problems at all)
  9. ok, it says that 'Port 57675 does not appear to be open'.
    how does one open it?
  10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

It needs to be unblocked in Windows Firewall, and also if you are using a router, opened in the router settings pages.
  11. he is a computer thicko, would you be so kind as to PM me how to do this please!?
  12. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

For windows Firewall:

Start/Control Panel/Windows Firewall/"Exceptions"/Add program (or port)

For his router - depends on type of router! Will be in there somewhere, possibly under "Virtual server".
  13. utorrent has been added to exceptions, but its still saying the port is closed?

edit: and still not downloading media files.
  14. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Look at the router, then, it's probably the cause - the port will need to be opened up in the router settings.

Your router is normally accessed by entering its IP address into your browser (Firefox, etc). The settings can be changed from in there. Check your router manual - I'm not a router expert, I have enough trouble kicking mine into obedience at the nest of times!

(If your not using a router and using a modem, i'm stumped for now!)
  15. Use version 1.7.6. and go to mininova for your torrent downloads.

I've used both for about a year and they work perfect.

My Utorrent (1.7.6) software keeps asking for an update and I bin it off, I've heard of several problems with the latest version.

Below is a list of decent uploaders who are with mininova. I've got 90% of my films off these uploaders. It took me a while to find decent ones amongst the sh!te. Most of these have DVD rips, perfect quality. You won't find any fakes, viruses or carp in this lot. :wink: