Having to pay for uniform

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Bison, Oct 24, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone give me chapter and verse on blokes being ordered to shell out for kit? The worst I've encountered was a unit where new blokes posted in from training were obliged to cough up £120 each for non-issued items of clothing. I'm fed up with being told I have to have this and that badge/t-shirt/sweat-shirt and over-priced pullover. :evil:

Who's giving these orders and are they legal? :?:

2. Its like being told, "you must but this regtl tee-shirt and corps stable belt". I wish I knew the legality behid it. When you get posted to another unit, then you go through the process again, and get told you can't wear that tee-shirt as it does not belong to this unit etc... :evil:

3. Don't you just wear uniform on duty and pretty-much what you want off duty?

4. Soldiers do not have to buy items of uniform. If your boss wants you to wear it, the system must provide it.

9/12 Lancers HQ sqn have just issued t-shirts to all members, so it does happen.

I was sacked from a Cav Regt LAD because I refused to buy a jumper (The OC LAD, not the Regt wanted me to buy it..)

Get legal advice from ALS, I phoned them during the 'sacking' incident above and they were sure that soldiers cannot be made to buy items of uniform.

Above all, if you think it's wrong, take it all the way, but be prepared to get posted :lol: (It didn't do me any harm, I picked up on the first board I was on)

5. Can understand a Unit complaining about a T-Shirt that not theirs, but they cannot make you buy uniform. Just wear issued plain T-Shirts and stand your ground.

6. This is where attached bods, like the REME suffer. It is all very well for someone who will spend their entire service wearing an expensive special non-issue pullover for example, as it is part of THEIR Regimental uniform, to buy something, but we get moved around every 2-3 years and the expense soon racks up when every unit expects us to don their embellishments.

I am of the view that we should not wear anything that is not issued.

7. Correct.... the Army supplies all the equipment and uniform that you need to do your job.

8. errrrrr ......... except body armour?

9. it's a similar situation in the ACF even tho we get issued uniforms etc
    we had to buy ranks slides, t shirts, webbing and certain other uniform items and regimental stuff or ACF own stuff also the staff sometimes moves between different unit every 2 years(doesn't always happen but you do move at some point)
    so i guess its nothing new to everybody in the Army dunno if that is the same in the Air force and the Navy be interesting to know.............

10. Quite agree, if it aint issued then it should not be worn.

Does anyone know y stable belts are'nt issued?

11. SEMPER, The RAF are not told to buy T-Shirts but its "encouraged" :!: :!: :!:

12. A bit spotterish, but a DCI has just come out this week, and everyone will be issued with their own personal CBA on their 1157, and the plates will be issued when units / individuals move up to R3. Apparentley :roll:

13. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Reme are only entitled to wear REME jumpers and belts, anyone wearing the regimental ones is, I believe, in breach of dress regulations. "They" can insist on you wearing their silly hat as long as they provide it but that is it. Tell 'em to poke it.

14. [Maninblack:]Reme are only entitled to wear REME jumpers and belts, anyone wearing the regimental ones is, I believe, in breach of dress regulations. "They" can insist on you wearing their silly hat as long as they provide it but that is it. Tell 'em to poke it.

Reme Jumpers???? new one on me - Attached arms may be asked to wear up to 3 (might only be 2) "regimental items" peculiar to the unit attached to - this cannot be legally enforced unless issued but can effect individuals in other ways if not compliant!!!

15. REME dress committee have consider a specific REME jumper in the past and rejected the idea. All the more reason why they should not have to buy someone else's.