having time to shoot whilst in?

I wasn't sure where to stick this thread but I thought here would be the best bet.

I'm currently going through thr application process and I was wondering how easy it is to find time to shoot?

I'm debating gifting my deer stalking perms to my brother if I hopefully make the cut but i'd much rather keep it to myself (':

ugly

LE
Depends upon where you are based and if the unit will accommodate your predilections.
If during training then basically forget it, you shouldn't have enough time. During your first unit you may get the chance, depends upon where you keep your weapons and if the conditions of your units work allow you the time. I am lucky in that I am out on my ground every day or evening. I seriously doubt the army would want you away as much as you want, it may pay to keep your permissions, seek some closer to where you are based and also stalk when home as much as you can.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wasn't sure where to stick this thread but I thought here would be the best bet.
:mrgreen:
I'm currently going through thr application process and I was wondering how easy it is to find time to shoot?

I'm debating gifting my deer stalking perms to my brother if I hopefully make the cut but i'd much rather keep it to myself (':
Depends upon where you are based and if the unit will accommodate your predilections.
If during training then basically forget it, you shouldn't have enough time. During your first unit you may get the chance, depends upon where you keep your weapons and if the conditions of your units work allow you the time. I am lucky in that I am out on my ground every day or evening. I seriously doubt the army would want you away as much as you want, it may pay to keep your permissions, seek some closer to where you are based and also stalk when home as much as you can.
Nah, I'm sure if the chap is cunning enough to invite a few officers along with a bottle of Port at the end, he'd soon find full support for his activity.

ugly

LE
Nah, I'm sure if the chap is cunning enough to invite a few officers along with a bottle of Port at the end, he'd soon find full support for his activity.
Yeah but not in training!

On the face of it, there is something a little ironic in asking if you will find time to shoot if you join the Army.

He means furry feckers
I guessed that but even so, I did have a little giggle.

Given that he will not have a chance to do it while he's training, will they let him borrow a gimpy on his first weekends leave so he can catch up on his quota? :)

I guessed during training was out the question, it's not a huge deal cause I share most the perms with my dad :)

but I just wanna keep all the deer for myself...

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do the DS on range days still order troops to “ aim” off for the odd pheasant or even a few sheep?
No, they'd get absolutely destroyed if they did that now. I recall a range in Pirbright where a family of deer wandered onto the 100m area whilst we were at 300m. The ******* stood there for ages with the DS screaming "GET OFF MY ******* RAAAAAAAAAAANGE."

The kickback for killing wild animals is huge.

Do you have DSC1 and an open ticket?

Although depending on where you are located there can be a long queue for joining, the one thing the Defence Deer Management does lack is a healthy group of JNCOs, we all tend to be old farts.

ugly

LE
Although depending on where you are located there can be a long queue for joining, the one thing the Defence Deer Management does lack is a healthy group of JNCOs, we all tend to be old farts.
It was always seen as an exclusive club for majors and above, a pity as it could have trained a new generation of stalkers and we wouldn't have the deer management issues we suffer now!

Do you have DSC1 and an open ticket?

I have an open ticket but no dsc1 cause I've never needed one, is it something to look into?

ugly

LE
I have an open ticket but no dsc1 cause I've never needed one, is it something to look into?
Its one of a few quals which can open doors for you, frankly defence deer management should be running these courses as AT, getting more stalkers qualified would create a pool of talent with the paper trail to prove a level of competence.
That said its not a difficult test, its easier now with open book tests but frankly if non country folk can pass it without ever having been stalking it cant be that hard.

It was always seen as an exclusive club for majors and above, a pity as it could have trained a new generation of stalkers and we wouldn't have the deer management issues we suffer now!
the guy who's mentoring me for deer stalking is nailing bucks every night cause he's over ran.

i'll always be a pigeon shooter ar heart though, I started learning my trade as a toddler as a cheap gundog

ugly

LE
the guy who's mentoring me for deer stalking is nailing bucks every night cause he's over ran.

i'll always be a pigeon shooter ar heart though, I started learning my trade as a toddler as a cheap gundog
When you say every night of course you mean in daylight evenings before dusk!

Its one of a few quals which can open doors for you, frankly defence deer management should be running these courses as AT, getting more stalkers qualified would create a pool of talent with the paper trail to prove a level of competence.
That said its not a difficult test, its easier now with open book tests but frankly if non country folk can pass it without ever having been stalking it cant be that hard.
I'll have a look later, I'm sure basc put a few courses on around my area.

thank you :)