Having second thoughts !!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by lgnd-bev, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well just passed my selection which was great, loved every bit of it (part from gettig a numb arse from sitting around for quite a bit). But now im always having 2nd thoughts and asking if its realy what i want and if my heart is realy set on it ! I dont want to tell my mum or dad yet cause i know they will think im just a twat for putting months of training my self & getting fit for nothing. So i guess im seeking advice from fellow arrser's. What would you do or have you been in my situation :?.
    Any help would be much appreciated ! Thanks in advance. Ryan.

2. If you back out now you'll always wonder "What If...?"

3. Well done on passing selection.

If you give up now, how much effort will you destroy and what will your parents, and others, think of you?

Litotes

4. mate your stupid dont leave, i left training and now will do anything to get back in. this is a good career path.your lucky to even got this far.most people love to join up but have problems like medical issues etc...

DONT CAHNGE YOUR MIND,i swear u will love it once you get in and stuck in

good luck

5. What are the second thoughts about? Afghan?, 4 yr commitment?, being away?
    civvy street sucks but if youre young enough you can slave away and find out for yourself and come back a little later to reapply whilst giving your phase 1 space to someone who is really keen for it.

6. jeez let me get this straight u got 20 heaves right???

7. might as well start your phase 1 trainning, and if you really think its not for you in the first few weeks you can get discharged.

8. You're not in yet, and it sounds to me like you are having a case of pre-training jitters. As other posters have alluded to, you will always look back with regret if you nip this in the bud now.
    Stay fit and motivated, think about all the reasons you wanted to join and throw yourself into basic training. If those questions are still in your mind, you do have the option to de-kit and get out whilst in Phase 1. But don't throw this opportunity away just yet.

9. My advice would be to stop acting like a nonse and grow a pair. You got this far in the application, you say you "loved every bit" of selection, just crack on with it. If you don't like it, drop out 2 weeks into basic then re-join with the whole "I won't give up a second time!" attitude so many have this time next year. Good luck anyway.

10. Don't have second thoughts. I can only say, I wish I had second thoughts when I left the Army. Just do it, if you don't like it, then laeave, what have you lost? A bit of time, a bit of sweat. You would be a fool to just give up.

11. Think hard about why you applied in the first place. Then if you decide you are going to crack on then great. If you decide it's not for you then get out before phase 1 so you're not wasting anymore of the army's time and money, and somebody else can have your spot.

12. Don't back out.

Working in a dead end job with no respect or nothing different makes you realise that it's all worth it.

I've had 6year since school to um and ah and even though it's the first time in joining it's made me feel regret for not trying to get in earlier

There is nothing that is putting me off this career... Even going to afghan, i'd quite look forward to going there, obv I'll get nervous and scared beforehand but I guess you have to want to go to these places deep down otherwise there is no point joining

13. Ignd-bev there has been some great advice on here and it's worth listening to a number of different views.

First and foremost it's your life not your parents friends etc. I joined the police force @ 20 and hated it passed out of probation after 2 years and left. I had the same thoughts of embarassment etc but bit the bullet and left.

I'm 28 now and just waiting on my start date. I have the pre-training worries, even though I am 100% commited and know this is my last chance to get in. On swearing our oath the sgt told us no matter what don't drop out as you would be lucky to get a 2nd chance. There have been something like 50k+ applicants for around 13k jobs.

I would give the same advice as other people on this thread at least give training a chance. If you don't like it just drop out and do something else

14. Basic training is designed to weed out the weak, feeble, lazy, and the uncommitted. Make sure it's what you want before starting phase 1.

15. Becasue if you don't do it you will always regret it and have teh nagging 'what if' doubt follow you around for the rest of your life.
    I joined at 16 and TBH, wasn't the most impressive soldier, and when I got a moment of severe doubt about 4 months into the 1 year junior leaders trainign the only thing that got me out of it was the fact that I don't think I could have lived with myself for quitting. Quitting is easy, life isn't.
    My advice is to go for it as you may be looking at the easy pointless life you could lead rather that manning up and accepting a challenge that many will quietly envy you for. Besides, I guarentee that you will make far more of yourself after your time in the army than if you disn't bother.