having perused the what kit to buy threads

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by ugly, Oct 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Here; http://www.arrse.co.uk/training-wing/138737-op-herrick-13-a.html, I have had a senior moment and wondered what advice we would have been giving 25 or 30 years ago to Redarses about to undergo their first tour on Op Banner (think of a number but it will be feck off big!).
    I vote for dont buy choggie burgers as they will give you the squits, along with a sense of humour!
  2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What ?
  4. I'd go with - "Always look busy" and "Never ever volunteer for anything" :)
  5. Are you on smack?
  6. I'll hazard a guess at TID referring to the number of colonials swelling the ranks...
  7. I think, and don't quote me, that he's insinuating you're thicker than a Downie's top lip.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd rather not have known that, thanks!
  9. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

get yourself a clipboard and some official looking document so you can waltz around camp and no-one will question you :)
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Coveralls and a Bass Broom, easy sweeping leaves and much less effort than cleaning stores!
  11. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Also aquire someone elses rollmat and cut 6 inches off and make your own hippo pad, and recycle the tops of your old green socks to make cuff for your combat jacket
  12. While waiting for a posting at one camp I was 'taken under the wing' of a guy who'd been there a week or two and I assisted him in his self-imposed 'make sure you look busy' task of measuring all the windows in the identical spider-blocks. No one ever questioned us...
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Better than the self appointed boxing squad, tracksuits all day long and never set foot in the gym!
  14. Learn the art of playing pool before you deploy, if you can work out the angles to get out of being "snookered" you'll have a good chance of bouncing a plastic bundle of love of a wall and into an alley way full of targets.

Collect two pence pieces.

..and batterys...

Learn to wave at Helicopters, nothing else, just wave at them.

Be able to blend in with the locals with nothing else than the single example of the new ford van in the provence and a grey blanket with three red stripes.
  15. Have we met?
    I once spent a week at Birdwood Bks wandering a round with a welding rod! The only question anyone asked was "Is that a welding rod" :)
    Easiest weeks work ever :)