Having confidence as a new entrant, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Jensen, May 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I see alot of time posters expect everyone to act on here how they'll act in the real world etc, say you call someone a tit on here or something there'll no doubt be a flood of invalids saying stuff like "You'll get far with that attitude!!!" "You won't make it past week 1!!" etc.

Another thing I've noticed lately on here, if someone shows a bit of confidence say like "I'm fit enough to pass all the physical tests" or "I'm good at waffling shite so I'll fly through the ice breaker and interviews". Why is it that everyone seems to want to knock them for saying it? Is it not better to have that kinda attitude than to be like "Ahh shit I'm rubbish at heaves and am dreading the ice breaker".

Whenever I've been down the careers the people down there all seem like the confident, brash type ya know, so why is it that new recruits are expected to be any different? Is it a bad thing to show confidence in ADSC and further on down the line at basic? I read somewhere people saying don't let it be known if you struggle or find things hard. It also seems that it isn't very favourable to be a confident person. Where is the inbetween then?

2. Quiet confidence is good, but everyone makes mistakes.

When cocky overconfident gob-shites make mistakes, well, they get a ripping.

So just do your job to the best of your ability, and if you are as good as you think, then you'll go far.

3. confidence versus arrogance...an age old dilemma. Best to hang back, keep nose clean and eyes bright without shuffling or mumbling, until the opportunity presents itself to show leadership. Then once it is past, back to "pace" mode.

4. M8 HONESTLY BE YOURSELF AND YOU'LL BE FINE THE TRAINING GETS TOUGH AT TIMES, YES THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF TRAINING YOU'VE JUST GOT 2 STICK AT IT NOT LET ANYTHING GET 2 YOU, EVEN IF YOUR M8'S ON THE OUTSIDE BECOME A SHINING STAR DONT LET THAT DISTRACT U.

THE GUYS ON HERE JUST LIKE 2 TAKE THE PISS AND HAV A LAUGH BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO.

M8 HAV BAGS OV CONFIDENCE KEEP THAT I CAN DO ANYTHIN ATTITUDE, IF UVE NOT GOT IT THINK LIKE IT CAUSE IT MAKES HARD CHALLENGES EASIER TO ACCEPT AND THATS WAT THE STAFF WAT 2 SEE FROM YOU, THEY JUST DONT WANT U 2 BE A WEE CHEECKY CNUT, ANYONE NEED ANY ADVICE OR ANY QUESTIONS I WILL HELP IF I CAN AS I PASSED BASIC TRAINING BUT GOT MEDICAL DISCHARGED AND HAV PROVED FIT ENOUGH FOR SERVICE SO I WILL BE GETTIN BACK UP ON MY HIGH HORSE AND BE GETTING READY FOR TRAINING SOON AGAIN.

JUST REMEMBER STAND UP N BE COUNTED FOR :twisted:

5. What he said.

And - you've got two ears and one mouth: use them in that ratio.

6. Glasgowchamp - sorry that the caps lock key on your keyboard is broken. Feel better soon eh?

7. Be sure of your abilities, and if asked - let them be known --but only if you KNOW you can prove them.

I'm a cocky f*cker, but never talk myself up about anything that I haven't done. It's good to be confident and show that you will give everything a go until it's right, but if you're one of those 'I can do anything better than anyone' types you won't go far.

Once proved, feel free to let people know (you may get a punch, but at least you can go down smiling), until then be quiet and listen to the above posts.

8. No buddy, it's best to have no confidence and fail, that way you pass the super secret SAS test.

9. Who told you about the super secret SAS test?

10. It's like this ... the training staff are experienced people, they would have met, worked with, been shot at with, have good mates who are ... very able, super fit, confident etc, etc. They will spot who the better people are in each entrant and will also push those people in order to make them give the best they can.

You will have no need to turn up as a cocky gobshoite if you are really as good as you think you are (hint - it's usually the cocky gobshoites that are the ones that end up being the chaff!!!)

What I am saying is this, keep your head down, do everything to the best of your ability, help out others whenever possible, get your work done in a professional manner and you will be spotted as being a cut above, if you are, without the need to keep gobbing off about being the best. (trust me you will see what I mean if/when you start basic)

11. That was a really nice super secret SAS test we had once good work lads :evil:

12. Just be yourself unless you're a mong tosser. Dont be too over confident or you'll come off cocky and the WO2 will smack you one. Just have a sense of humour, listen and be polite.

Edit: **** me this was posted yonks ago. :oops:

13. Nobody likes a smart arrse, whether you can outperform everyone at everything or not. The army is about performing as a team, not who can do the most press ups, sit ups, etc. Remember, a team is only as strong as their weakest man. In the presence of an angry instructor, cocky f*ckers may well turn out to be the weakest man for reasons they may not have previously thought of.

We have two eyes, two ears and only one mouth for a reason.