Having a go, new act now in place

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by emptyeye, Jul 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Home owners and “have-a go-heroes” have for the first time been given the legal right to defend themselves against burglars and muggers free from fear of prosecution.

They will be able to use force against criminals who break into their homes or attack them in the street without worrying that "heat of the moment” misjudgements could see them brought before the courts.

Under new laws police and prosecutors will have to assess a person’s actions based on the person’s situation "as they saw it at the time” even if in hindsight it could be seen as unreasonable.

For example, homeowners would be able stab or shoot a burglar if confronted or tackle them and use force to detain them until police arrive. Muggers could be legally punched and beaten in the street or have their own weapons used against them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

* If fearful for your own life, you can stab or shoot a burglar if they confront you

* Overpower a burglar or a mugger and use their weapon to attack them – whether it is a knife, a gun or a baseball bat.
    Shoot an armed robber in the "heat of the moment" using a shotgun stored in your home if threatened by them

* Fight, punch and beat a mugger in the street threatening you or a bystander

* Tackle a fleeing burglar to the ground and hold them in a headlock until police arrive

WHAT YOU CANNOT DO

* Attack a fleeing burglar with a cricket bat, a golf club, a knife or any other weapon

* Lay in wait for a burglar and ambush them, or shoot them from behind

* Launch any premidated or prolongued attack - such as tying up, torturing or burning a burglar or mugger.

* Shoot or attack a trespasser on private land if they are challenged and run away

Buit I have to add:

Any licenced gun owner (be that a rifle or shotgun) is required to keep it in a secure place. This is often interpreted by firearms officers as being in a secure gun cabinet or gun safe.

So, if one is obeying the security obligations, upon the discovery of an intruder, it would be necessary to locate the keys, open the safe, load the gun (note that ammunition will be kept seperately from the gun) and then use it to "deter" said intruder. This stikes me as "premeditation" which should, rightly in my view, result in a murder charge.

On the other hand, if the gun was being kept, loaded, under the bed, then the owner would not be keeping the gun securely. Result - revocation of his/her firearms licence/shotgun certificate, at the very least.

No firearm (or knife, for that matter) can be held for "defensive purposes" It instantly becomes an offensive weapon

2. Where did you 'cut and paste' this from?

3. Surely this is not a new law - the common law of self defence has been in place for eons.

4. The torygraph, who wants to sit down and type all that sh1te in?

5. No, its just saying if you bash said chav with HIS baseball bat and not YOUR old wooden night stick (held in your old MFO box from your NI days) you MIGHT not get time, but you will still get lifted.

6. From here I believe. :) CLICKY

Dam these bratty fingers, Must type faster. :wink:

7. Are those the specified means by which I might visit violence upon them?

Where would I stand if I used a cast iron frying pan?

8. Behind them would be good. :twisted:

9. Ok heres the scenario, you are making a egg banjo in said cast iron frying pan, in pops chav with knife and says to you, geez that egg banjo or im going to slice ya...

Your faster, BOING..1 dead chav (no egg banjo either I have to add)..old bill comes along...ah yes Mr Strut Jack, why did you have frying pan in your hand in such a dangerous postion..but... but... says you..no buts..CLANG, watch your fingers

10. thanks

11. I thought perhaps in front and slightly to one side in order to make use of my tennis backhand....

12. He's a Mexican chav?

13. Just claim that the chav attacked you with the cast iron frying pan, and wait for the government to ban them.

14. Have you ever used a rifle safe, it's not as if we all keep our guns triple locked you know, I mean it would be a bit of a problem if you use a bore lock, trigger lock and the safe, and even then you could have it out and loaded within a minute, quicker if you have a combination safe instead of a key locked one.