Havin' an issue with disclosing a previous employer HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by MischievousMonkey, Mar 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hiya

Not sure if I posted this in the right part but if I didn't apologies. Im kinda havin' a small issue with my AFCO application as my previous employer was the US.Army. Although I served as a civillian.

If I am to disclose this info on my application, my worry runs that they would check this into further details. I asked at the afco where they said they'd only contact the people I had said that they could. However I am aware that further checks would be run on myself regardless of what is placed on the application and I am also well aware lieing to the British Army is not a clever idea.

It's not so much an issue that I've done anything drastic, however the US.Army are under no durisdiction to disclose any info about myself and would under no circumstance disclose unless it was to US.Army personnel; provided they had info such as my service number. It is illegal for myself to disclose this info to the British Army infact anyone for that matter just as it is the same for what we did in Afghan etc etc (as I imagine is more or less the same for anyone working for the British Army) basically I suppose you'd call it being held by a secrecy act.

Although the bloke at my afco was dead canny and said he couldn't see an issue, it was up to myself if I left it on or not. I don't wanna be stuck with myself not disclosing it incase they do check it and knowing the US.Army wouldn't disclose the info without my service number which as I explained is illegal for me to pass on, I don't want it to cause an issue. However I don't want to get all the way to the army and then they find out and me be severely screwed because they want to know why I didn't disclose the info and then have the issue of the US.Army refusing to disclose anything and/or again me being stuck in a situation where I am held by a secrecy act.

I really don't know how to deal with this situation and I am well aware it's not your bog standard situation either. Im sure others will have been in similar issues however geuss there's not many of us. Any opinions would be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks

Monkey

2. So, you were a Clerk then?

And you need to sort out that crustation around your mouth, the Doc won't like it.

Really?

3. HHH

HHH LE

How do you have a service number when you were a civilian employee ?

And when did Americans start using the word "canny" ?

4. Its illegal in the US to disclose to anyone that you served in the US Army? Really? So, erm, those guys at the airport, in uniform, are just 'walts', eh. And all those who pop up at various places in uniform?

You served as a civilian, in the US Army, in Afghanistan. Was there a nose touch at the end, there?

• Like Like x 1
  5. As far as I know (and I may well be wrong) Yanks do not have service numbers. They use their social security number. I stand ready to be corrected by anyone who knows better.

6. Someone is a tad confused here! There is no need to lie. Tell them who employed you. If that person/organisation is contacted and refuses to co-operate, for legitimate reasons, it is not your problem.

7. Well, we've never heard that one before.

8. I wonder if he was the second man in Bin Laden's bedroom.

9. Ok then. You're a tosser.

10. when you are asked for previous employment jsust say you used to work "on the game" its a fairly common phrase in military circles for details you dont want to elaborate on.

11. Absolutely correct! When I did an exchange with the Septics in the mid-1990s, it confused the hell out them when I gave them my Army No. for my US dogtags (they wouldn't let me wear my Brit issued ones). They wanted to put my NI number on the bloody things.

12. Misc Monkey, are you a British Citizen by birth? Have you got dual Nationality?

13. Always tell the full truth from the outset and for goodness sake don't worry. Having worn two different uniforms in my life I can understand that when approaching disclosuers it can be a little unnerving, but you will not have been the first person to be in such a situation and the people who deal with you shall understand this.

14. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

The OP is a liar. The circumstances he is describing are ficticious.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

As part of a wider information assurance issue US service personnel now get a DOD ID number for their CAC etc and no longer use their Social Security number. I know this as I have my DOD CAC card and number.