Haveing a meeting with trust execs next week concerning reserve forces and want your input

Ok so i am a union rep working for BHR nhs trust we have a policy meeting coming up on special leave and possible changes in the policy for reserve soldiers when they can go for training how long they have after being demobilised to return to work ect. Does anyone want to give me useful information about this so i can make sure the reserve soldiers working for the trust get a fair deal and secondly where i can find out the current law on reserve soldiers to make sure the trust does not breech it. would also be helpful if you can tell me if the work place are informed if you volunteered for service or if after volunteering it is made manditory and the trust need never find out thank you

speak to SABRE- google Defence Relationship Management

The_Duke

LE
Find a copy of the existing trust policy, see if you can find examples from other trusts.

If yours is better, fight to keep it. If theirs is better, fight to match it. Don't expect too much - there is little in law to force them to offer you leave outside of mobilised service.

Find a copy of the existing trust policy, see if you can find examples from other trusts.

If yours is better, fight to keep it. If theirs is better, fight to match it. Don't expect too much - there is little in law to force them to offer you leave outside of mobilised service.
In the same vein, it's also worth getting the Department of Health guidelines and comparing.

You could also look to see if your Trust is part of the Employer Supported Policing scheme which allows Special Constables and other police volunteers time off for duty. That might establish the policy or give you an idea of the format of any policy, it's obviously not the same thing but the principal is similar.

on reflection I am surprised this is an issue for an NHS trust as I would expect DMS to be all over it given the past 20 years of Balkans and Middle East/Asia conflicts.

Just make sure you serve them a bland curry with desiccated coconut.

Have a look at the employer recognition scheme, this recognises employers who support the armed forces. There's A section outlining what gold/silver/bronze awardees did to warrant their award and this may give you some idea of what others are going. I believe there are a number of trusts in there.

If they're any help, I can get the NHSBT policy on Tuesday.

Latest Threads