Have your travel plans changed with age ?

Now in my fifties I find myself no longer wishing to visit hot dirty shit holes such as India , Africa , SE Asia and the likes , all appealed in my younger days and I`ve travelled a lot , my interest now is in Scandinavia ,Austria , Switzerland , NZ and maybe Aussie , maybe its because all are able to offer infrastructure , security , decent scran and still remain interesting , how about you ?

It's a very interesting and good question - depends on what you want to do and what experiences you want to have. Actually, I would't even call some of those places you are referring to as shit holes - just different. I think, if you just want something safe, easy going, safe-ish (relatively - but again, even Europe has not been exactly safe with random incidents has it?), yeah, the places you mention are probably your cup of tea.

I've been around quite a few continents and places than quite a few of my friends (lucky - combination of work and personal trips) and still have the desire to have more life experiences, even it takes me a bit out of the comfort zone - but that's my personal preference. Am 35, so make what of it. Life is too short, to stick to a thing or a place really. I'd rather die poor while having seen the world and experiencing all the vividness of the various places and offerings, rather than die normally/ rich, while sticking to the usual trail. But that's me.

I m roughly the same age and used to love Ibiza and the likes.
Been to the Carribean lots .
Having met two really lovely girls from Slovenia I have a hankering to go and have a nose around.
All of the country looks lush and they like their hunting and fishing, plus it seems that judging by their facebook profiles, it is the law that ALL Slovenian birds under the age of forty have to be extremely fit.

It's a very interesting and good question - depends on what you want to do and what experiences you want to have. Actually, I would't even call some of those places you are referring to as shit holes - just different. I think, if you just want something safe, easy going, safe-ish (relatively - but again, even Europe has not been exactly safe with random incidents has it?), yeah, the places you mention are probably your cup of tea.

I've been around quite a few continents and places than quite a few of my friends (lucky - combination of work and personal trips) and still have the desire to have more life experiences, even it takes me a bit out of the comfort zone - but that's my personal preference. Am 35, so make what of it. Life is too short, to stick to a thing or a place really. I'd rather die poor while having seen the world and experiencing all the vividness of the various places and offerings, rather than die normally/ rich, while sticking to the usual trail. But that's me.
I was the same at your age, I could buy another house with what I've spent on travel but no regrets, a mate who was not very adventurous used to ask what are you hoping to find? Was never sure.

I travel to shit countries for work i’m Happy to stay at home and never be a tourist

In my earlier days I would take leave in various exotic places. Mainly for the surfing and tax days

Visited Europe, Middle East and bits of Africa, for work and as a tourist. My winning-the-lottery trip was going to Japan from Uk. On foot (except for the China-Japan boat, obviously). The idea was planted by some Swedish bod who went up Everest from sea-level (the beach by his house) and back again, with no motorised transport. But I'm unlikely to win the lottery as I don't buy the tickets, plus I got a bit older, late fifties. Now just trying to save up for taking a few months to do the Israel Trail at the end of the year. I used to like deserty bits, but now find I'm wondering about a water-cache in the Negev.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
My next trip is going to involve Athens, Corinth, Thesoloniki, Ephesus, Phillippi and Colossus - on a bus/coach/train or taxi.... I'm going through a New Testiment phase.... and I'm ancient

My next trip is going to involve Athens, Corinth, Thesoloniki, Ephesus, Phillippi and Colossus - on a bus/coach/train or taxi.... I'm going through a New Testiment phase.... and I'm ancient
Enjoy Greece. Try and not go there during the proper hot season. Spring or Fall is your best bet - also, it's a bit less touristy.

I've found that carrying a walking stick and asking for 'assistance' at airports allows you to board aircraft before all the business class tossers and their expensive tickets... :mrgreen:

I'm the one who's already seated, settled down and whose luggage fills the overhead locker as you scramble onto the plane waving your overpriced boarding card around ;-)
I wish mate - I am right back at the coach these days - if I travel, and yes, I used to be one of those tossers! ;)

49er

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'm the one who's already seated, settled down and whose luggage fills the overhead locker as you scramble onto the plane waving your overpriced boarding card around ;-)
Good luck with that. I gave up on all that airport nonsense a few years back. If I can`t get to where I want to be in my Camper Van then I don`t want to be there.

61 this year, my fcuking bones ache, it hurts to get out of bed some days but, I still have not lost the 'stupid gene'. Army brat, squaddie, travelled to places others only see on TV and I still want to see more, I'm only here once, it's not a practice run for the real thing. I will kip in a ditch, up a tree, in a barn, or hammock, sadly my Mrs thinks camping is moving down to a 3 star hotel.

I have these two things on my list to be done, hopefully, in the next two to three years:

The Continental Divide Ride

The Baja Peninsula Ride

If I can only get in one I will do the Baja ride.

61 this year, my fcuking bones ache, it hurts to get out of bed some days but, I still have not lost the 'stupid gene'.
It pays not to lose the "stupid gene," not always wise, but it works out in the end. You would never really move out of your comfort zone and done things/seen places if not for the stupid gene.

Now in my fifties I find myself no longer wishing to visit hot dirty shit holes such as India , Africa , SE Asia and the likes , all appealed in my younger days and I`ve travelled a lot , my interest now is in Scandinavia ,Austria , Switzerland , NZ and maybe Aussie , maybe its because all are able to offer infrastructure , security , decent scran and still remain interesting , how about you ?
I only get on an aeroplane when someone's paying me a fat wedge to do so, if that helps.

I avoid the parasite paradise locations, third-world and fly-blown for the use of, that you mention, given a choice.

unfortunately I have to turn right at the top of the aircraft stairs and be treated like livestock, so until that changes I shall stay where I am, besides I have a nice autotrail m/home which I used for fishing trips,I find foreign travel too much hassle now, and the fact that you have to show up two days in advance for your flight so you spend about three hundred quid on coffee, ok that last bit is exagerated but you know the feeling?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ancient Travel 83
G Weapons, Equipment & Rations 14
Scottish_Cop Travel 74