Have you had problems with your civi employer?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by crossed_axes, Apr 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have you had problems with your civi employer because you are/were in the TA? I’m doing some work for the MOD at the moment and it would be really useful to have a few examples - particularly any related to mobilisation.

If you think you might be able to help, could you please PM me and I can tell you more.

And before anyone says it – no, I’m not a journalist! This is a legit bit of work.

Thanks

2. All sounds very mysterious...

I think you need to be rather careful if either quoting examples of "awkward" employers or stating conversely that employers are "supportive". My understanding is that very few mobilisations following the first few TELICs were actually "compulsory" compulsory mobilisations. Therefore all employers should be "supportive" as the brown envelope shouldn't have been sent if the employee had not already had a positive response from their employer. Any "awkward" employers would be ones who had either not been consulted (or consulted and the response ignored) by the employee.

If you are genuinely "doing some work for MOD" you should be able to get details of all compulsory compulsory mobilisations and identify a suitable questionnaire sample from them.

Something that may be of interest is that the Department of Work and Pensions - the people who run Jobcentre Plus which of course works in partnership with SaBRE to fill vacancies caused by mobilisation - and has actually received a SaBRE award for being a supportive employer, subsequently amended their own staff's terms and conditions of service to withdraw the automatic right of volunteer reservists to paid leave for annual camp.

3. Nope. Mine is very understanding indeed.

But that could be to do with the fact I am my Civi employer! :D

And no this isn't just a bone response, it's honestly well recommended! If you can successfully combine running a business with the TA, you're on to a winner.

4. To my eyes the big problem is that most problems are resolved without any real evidence being generated.

I'll illustrate what I mean using myself as an example - I worked for a massive UK defence firm with a very pro-reservist policy. However, on ringing round prior to returning it became very clear that I was a marked man at a local level, so I extended - which meant resigning - and used the time to find another job.

Now the only way I could have been certain it was mobilisation that caused the problem would have been to go back, get made redundant and then prove that the paperwork was made up. Is anyone going to be daft enough to do that when they don't have to ? Particularly when the Army/MoD offer no help whatsoever to anyone having troubles with their employer. Sorry, I forgot that SABRE will give you a leaflet.

Moral - Boardroom promises mean nothing to your line manager.

The next wrinkle which I have been fortunate enough to avoid is the fact that being in the TA is increasingly a career stopper (which is perfectly legal BTW). Some of my colleagues have been told promotion requires commitment, being in an organisation with a liability for one year away in three is not commitment, so no promotion for you. Did I mention it was legal ? Because it is.

Oh, and try finding an employer who gives you time off these days for camps. My current one does - but for my last interview with a defence firm they thought they were reservist friendly as they let me do what I liked in my holidays. Times have changed.

One last thing, there's a lot of anecdotes on this forum, you may wish to search for some.

5. Never had time off other than annual holiday f]

Never had time off other than holiday allowance .Most help from employer was packet of lumocolours ordered through there stationery as couldnt find them anywhere else and I had offred to pay for them.
    Eventually left as it was either ta or job ,but,was completly dislussioned
    with job and so called profession and it was basically an excuse to walk away.
    Only thing i miss is pay and easy access to med supplies :D

-

6. I went for a Job interview yesterday with a local property firm. I told them that i was thinking about joining the TA and would this be a problem? nope they said sounds like fun and if he was younger he would of had a go as well!...

Oh and i got the job.

7. Never had any problem with my work manager's, most are ex Forces and would join the TA if they where younger. If anything it has been a bonus to work.

8. My employer (essentially an NHS Trust) is just about neutral. They are by no means encouraging, but I don't feel any animosity about it either.

For camp, I get an extra week's paid leave and can apply for a week's unpaid leave or take the second week out of my annual leave. Perhaps I'm ungrateful - I don't think that's very generous, but then I know it can be worse, and so it's not that bad either.

With respect to promotions, etc., I have yet to see.

FF.

9. Here's a thought..

Why should civi employers give extra paid time off.?

10. Well, that's why I don't grumble about my lot. I get an extra week's paid leave. This is not an insignificant "donation" by my employer, but it did come about in a nationally negotiated agreement regarding terms and conditions of service. Thus, my particular employer can't really take credit - all they are doing is keeping up their end of the deal.

No doubt when the deal was being negotiated, the trusts thought it was fair so we employees must have given something up in return...

Never mind. Could be worse.

FF.

11. No reason at all if they don't want to. However, if they don't and you need to take unpaid leave rather than simply use up annual leave, just be aware that the unpaid leave will generally not count towards towards your employers pension scheme. So if you serve for 26 years and take 2 weeks unpaid leave every year, by the time you retire you will either be 1 year of reckonable service (defined benefit schemes) or 1 year of employers and employees contributions (defined contribution schemes) short.

12. True. Hadn't thought of that.

13. Many thanks for the very useful PM's I've had so far. At the moment, I'm particularly interested in issues with big companies - either because the whole organisation is unsupportive or (it appears more likely) because boardroom intent isn't reflected in the actions of local managers.

Please PM me if you think you might be able to help with some examples.

Many thanks

14. Very good point - Is it reasonable to suggest that UK PLC is in some respects being requested to "prop up" the MOD in this respect?

Would people leave the TA if they had no choice, but to use annual leave to allow their' military commitments?

On the flip side - would more employers be truly positive about reserve service if the government were to make tax concessions to reservist employers?

15. I believe so yes, as then the perception that employers lose out by having reservist employees can be changed. It need only be something simple like a reduced rate of employers NIC's payable on reservists' wages.