Have UK Special Forces Adopted the 6.8 mm Round ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by sixty_three, Apr 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have UK Special Forces Adopted the 6.8 mm Round ?
  2. Are you talking about the 6.8mm Remington SPC ?
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Apparently it didn't fit in the mags of their C8's so they're going to have to look for a new rifle to go with it...

Why do you want to know?
  4. That's not stricktly true.
    The rounds did fit in the mags, but got stuck both in the chamber and the bore of the 5.56mm rifles. :twisted:
  5. It was mentioned on another forum (groan yes I know) that "THEM and co" had recieved the HK416/417 family of weapons....now I have no idea either way, so I'm just putting it out, not claiming it's factual or not. :?
  6. odd that!
  7. think its fair to say THEM would have pretty much trialled any calibre at one stage or another but doubt they would buy a whole new weapon system so soon after getting C8 even if round does fit mags ( or not depending where you read) .
  8. Let's think about the weapons mentioned. The 416 is 5.56x45mm and other than a short stroke piston recoil (like the SA80) doesn't offer much more for your Euro than the already established C8.
    The 417 is 7.62mm, a calibre already in place not only with THEM, but also the Green army (L96 and G3 on the rifle front). So the use of 417s by THEM wouldn't be about adopting a new round, but utilising more advanced technology in delivering said round (417 is accurised whereas G3 isn't and L96 is bolt action). This means being able to prosecute a target with at least two shots accurately in the same time as you could do with one from a L96.
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I have to say, I have a quiet concern about ex-folk like you using terms like prosecute a tgt, reminds me very much of the term 'extreme predjudice' or the line I heard more recently 'absolute solution'.
  10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

double posting gremlin got me, perhaps we can 'terminate his contract'...
  11. No probs (not sure about ex-folk though). If terminology offends..
    "Being able to get a two rounds onto the bottom centre of the white patch of the figure 11 target in the time it takes to do it with one from a L96" :D