Have they upgraded or is there no bother

#1
Having watched Ivan running about Georgia on the news it is apparent he still favours the AK. Now, not being a gun nut has Ivan ever upgraded the AK or is there no need to? Most countries'll bring in another gat sooner or later as the Brits, Oz armies have. I was just wondering about the Ivans?
 
#4
No expert am I , but while there are variants, it's still pretty much the original AK design at the backend. It works, it's reliable, why muck with it?
 
#5
Very few "Kalashnikovs" are the AK47. Most are the subsequent model, the AKM.

The much later, but mechanically similar, AK74 can be visually identified by having a magazine that is straighter than the banana mags of the AK47 and AKM.
 
#6
SmithsRail said:
Its not the 74 its still the AK-47 Kalashnikov!
:roll:

Spot on incendiarycutlery.

There are other versions out there and the nomenclature changes accordingly. There are also quite a few new weapons in service with the Russians.

As for pretty much any Army, it depends on role/unit/etc.
 
#7
down_under said:
Having watched Ivan running about Georgia on the news it is apparent he still favours the AK. Now, not being a gun nut has Ivan ever upgraded the AK or is there no need to? Most countries'll bring in another gat sooner or later as the Brits, Oz armies have. I was just wondering about the Ivans?
Being an official gun nut(!) I can tell you that the standard rifle of the Russian Army is still the AK-74M in 5.45x39, which as has been pointed out is essentially a re-worked AKM. From pictures, there also seem to be a few AKS-74 and AKS-74U in use in South Ossetia (airborne and compact versions respectively).

The Russians had a classified programme in the early 90's codenamed 'Abakan' to replace the AK-74M. This eventually selected the AN-94 Nikonov assault rifle - a rather weird design that can fire a 2 shot burst at 1800 rpm. However the Russians have never fielded them in any quantity; presumably because they don't have the budget to do so.
 
#9
Gun_Nut said:
Being an official gun nut(!) I can tell you that the standard rifle of the Russian Army is still the AK-74M in 5.45x39, which as has been pointed out is essentially a re-worked AKM. From pictures, there also seem to be a few AKS-74 and AKS-74U in use in South Ossetia (airborne and compact versions respectively).

The Russians had a classified programme in the early 90's codenamed 'Abakan' to replace the AK-74M. This eventually selected the AN-94 Nikonov assault rifle - a rather weird design that can fire a 2 shot burst at 1800 rpm. However the Russians have never fielded them in any quantity; presumably because they don't have the budget to do so.
My bold
Don't spose you've a pic or should I just google.
 
#10
down_under said:
Gun_Nut said:
Being an official gun nut(!) I can tell you that the standard rifle of the Russian Army is still the AK-74M in 5.45x39, which as has been pointed out is essentially a re-worked AKM. From pictures, there also seem to be a few AKS-74 and AKS-74U in use in South Ossetia (airborne and compact versions respectively).

The Russians had a classified programme in the early 90's codenamed 'Abakan' to replace the AK-74M. This eventually selected the AN-94 Nikonov assault rifle - a rather weird design that can fire a 2 shot burst at 1800 rpm. However the Russians have never fielded them in any quantity; presumably because they don't have the budget to do so.
My bold
Don't spose you've a pic or should I just google.
I don't suppose you have clicked on the link in my sig block either?
 
#11
That really hurt

I can breathe. Ish.
 
#13
A few of them on news reports had what looked like AK-100 series rifles, basically AKM or AK-74 with plastic as opposed to wooden furniture...The Russkies sold a buttload of AK-103 (in 7.62x39mm) to the Venezuelans, maybe they're using them as a cheaper alternative to the AN-94...also, didn't the Russians develop a bullpup rifle called the OTs-14 Groza for Spetznaz? Did they ever issue that or was it just experimental?
 
#14
Bradstyley said:
A few of them on news reports had what looked like AK-100 series rifles, basically AKM or AK-74 with plastic as opposed to wooden furniture...The Russkies sold a buttload of AK-103 (in 7.62x39mm) to the Venezuelans, maybe they're using them as a cheaper alternative to the AN-94...also, didn't the Russians develop a bullpup rifle called the OTs-14 Groza for Spetznaz? Did they ever issue that or was it just experimental?
The AK-100 series is just the commercial version of the AK-74M. The difference between the 'M' and the older '74' is that it has the black plastic furniture, a folding stock and a side rail optical mount.

The Groza was originally developed for MVD (Interior Ministry) troops and apparently also used by SF units. I don't think it's made anymore.
 
#15
down_under said:
Gun_Nut said:
Being an official gun nut(!) I can tell you that the standard rifle of the Russian Army is still the AK-74M in 5.45x39, which as has been pointed out is essentially a re-worked AKM. From pictures, there also seem to be a few AKS-74 and AKS-74U in use in South Ossetia (airborne and compact versions respectively).

The Russians had a classified programme in the early 90's codenamed 'Abakan' to replace the AK-74M. This eventually selected the AN-94 Nikonov assault rifle - a rather weird design that can fire a 2 shot burst at 1800 rpm. However the Russians have never fielded them in any quantity; presumably because they don't have the budget to do so.
My bold
Don't spose you've a pic or should I just google.
 
#16
I think its also a beast to maintain clean so not ideal for conscripts lots of fiddly bits with the burst fire device.
most unrussian maybe somebody for the sa80 team defected bwhahaaha :twisted:
 
#18
down_under said:
What's with the weird looking bulbous bits towards the end of the flash suppressor? A mate and I are curious.
It is a muzzle brake or compensator, designed to cut recoil and muzzle climb. I believe that the Russians were the first army to put a muzzle brake on general issue with the AK-74. This is very effective, but it is LOUD and the Russians have apparently had a lot of problems with soldiers suffering hearing damage.

The AN-94 muzzle brake has some rather clever features. The two circular chambers and ports are actually constructed as whistles (think of the shape of an Acme Thunderer). Apparently the 'notes' produced by the ports are designed to be out of phase with each other, effectively cancelling each other out. It's the same principle as an ANR headset. The end result is that the brake is a lot quieter than the AK-74, whilst still providing a highly effective reduction in muzzle climb, especially during burst and full-auto fire.
 
#19
......the Russians have apparently had a lot of problems with soldiers suffering hearing damage....
quote]

Somehow i doubt that a country that torture, beat and b*gg*r their own conscripts will consider that much of a problem!!

When i went to Western Africa, most of the old bill there were either armed had a huge stick or an AK47. I guess the reason they're so popular is due to the low maintenance factor coupled with their well reported top notch reliabilty. I guess the old addage (Sp?) of "if aint broke......" applies well to the AK.
Its reportedly so popular in africa that in Mozambique some people have named their sons Kalash in honour of it!
 

Latest Threads

Top