Have the armed forces guards ever opened fire on UK soil?

Just wondering if there's ever been an incident where a member of the UK armed forces guards (like at Buckingham Palace, military convoys, MoD bases) etc have opened fire? Perhaps to stop a terrorist or whatever.

I tried searching on Google but to no avail.

syrup

LE
2 Para in Tern Hill IIRC.

IIRC that's when the order came out to carry live rounds on the weapon.
Again IIRC up to that point (and he was the same) we had an empty mag on the weapon with the live rounds with the top round taped.
He had to change Mag's and remove the tape by which point they were well on their way.

Didn't Churchill order the army to open fire early in his career Balcolme street off the top off my head in the 1900's?

Technically N.I. is still British Soil so lots of times there

Again IIRC up to that point (and he was the same) we had an empty mag on the weapon with the live rounds with the top round taped.
He had to change Mag's and remove the tape by which point they were well on their way.

Didn't Churchill order the army to open fire early in his career Balcolme street off the top off my head in the 1900's?

Sorry to be pedantic but N.I. is not "technically" British. It f*cking well IS British.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you believe Mallinson's Matthew Hervey series (he has written a number of well acclaimed histories and Hervey comes across as historically accurate. In the first, he apologised for putting Black Jack Slade, a general in the Peninsular War in the wrong place when any fule no he was elsewhere. It suited his story line), in the early 19th century before the advent of Peelers, the Army was regularly tasked with engaging, for instance, smugglers and luddites.

2 Para in Tern Hill IIRC.
I believe that one of the chaps on stag at Ternhill sent a couple of rounds in the direction of the PIRA team which bombed the place in 1989.

Which, I see, Old Stab also recalls.

Mentioned here
From ‘Shropshire History’.

20th February 1989 - two IRA bombs exploded in the army barracks at Tern Hill. Fifty members of the 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment escaped injury when sentry Lance Corporal Alan Norris spotted two men acting suspiciously in the early hours of this morning. He raised the alarm and the barracks was evacuated, shortly before the two bombs went off. The bombers escaped in a stolen car, which was later found about 10 miles from the barracks. Lance Corporal Norris was on patrol duty at about 0300 hours when he spotted the terrorists. When he challenged them, they dumped a sports bag, containing a third bomb, and ran off. The soldier fired three rounds from his rifle but missed. Some minutes later, the first two bombs exploded but nobody was hurt. Regimental Sergeant Major Bob Powell said "He had cleared the building of those people sleeping and then cleared the area. Had he not done that at that time, lives could have been lost and it was from his swift, prompt action that lives were not lost".

Soon after Brian Fleet, who lived about a mile from the barracks, was awoken by a man banging on his front door in the middle of the night. He assumed there had been a road accident and went to the door but when he looked out and saw a man armed with a pistol shouting angrily in what he described as a broad Irish accent he decided not to open the door. The gunman then forced his way into another house further down the road and seized the owner's Ford Montego (sic) car after threatening to shoot his wife. The car was later found abandoned.

Siege of Sydney Street:

. . . and, of course, that balcony.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Off topic a bit but some POW were shot while attempting escape. This is the one that springs to mind:

(Re. the capture of U570)

'Apart from Rahmlow, U-570's officers were taken to an officers' prisoner-of-war camp at Grizedale Hall in Cumbria.[45] This was nicknamed U-boat Hotel by the British as, during the early part of the war, the majority of prisoners were naval officers rescued from sunken U-boats.[46] There, a "Court of Honour" convened by other German prisoners, including captured U-boat ace Otto Kretschmer, tried Rahmlow, in absentia, and U-570's other officers. Rahmlow and his second-in-command, Bernhard Berndt, were found "guilty of cowardice"; the other two officers were "acquitted". On the night of 18/19 October, Berndt escaped from the camp. A detachment of the Home Guard apprehended him, shooting him when he tried to escape'

one of the Crow at Keogh Barracks early 90's

Pte ******** claimed he'd seen someone who appeared armed. The lad was getting away with the whole thing, a colossal search of the area supposedly found a hide with notebooks in, however the cunning plan of telling him that his stag partner had confessed it was all a lie and he broke like a damp kitkat.

He was a bit of a tit and an admin nightmare

From ‘Shropshire History’.

20th February 1989 - two IRA bombs exploded in the army barracks at Tern Hill. Fifty members of the 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment escaped injury when sentry Lance Corporal Alan Norris spotted two men acting suspiciously in the early hours of this morning. He raised the alarm and the barracks was evacuated, shortly before the two bombs went off. The bombers escaped in a stolen car, which was later found about 10 miles from the barracks. Lance Corporal Norris was on patrol duty at about 0300 hours when he spotted the terrorists. When he challenged them, they dumped a sports bag, containing a third bomb, and ran off. The soldier fired three rounds from his rifle but missed. Some minutes later, the first two bombs exploded but nobody was hurt. Regimental Sergeant Major Bob Powell said "He had cleared the building of those people sleeping and then cleared the area. Had he not done that at that time, lives could have been lost and it was from his swift, prompt action that lives were not lost".

Soon after Brian Fleet, who lived about a mile from the barracks, was awoken by a man banging on his front door in the middle of the night. He assumed there had been a road accident and went to the door but when he looked out and saw a man armed with a pistol shouting angrily in what he described as a broad Irish accent he decided not to open the door. The gunman then forced his way into another house further down the road and seized the owner's Ford Montego (sic) car after threatening to shoot his wife. The car was later found abandoned.
One of the bombers was a student at a nearby agricultural college. Later arrested with 2 loaded AKs on the back seat of his car, he was released as an innocent man. Later back in his home town of Coalisland, he met his demise having just shot up the RUC station with an HMG.

IIRC, the Balcombe Street siege was in the mid-70s (1975?) a couple of months after the Spaghetti House siege in Knightsbridge,

The guard at Deepcut have opened fire at least 4 times since the mid 90s.

Uglyfatgit

War Hero
He had to change Mag's and remove the tape by which point they were well on their way
On guard 1979, empty mag on the rifle, charged mag in the ammo pouch!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MoD News 41
L Finance, Property, Law 1
MoD_RSS MoD News 0

Latest Threads