Have the Americans got the right idea and we the wrong one?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by ostvic, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was just having a gander at the NYPD WEBSITE and came across the excellent benefits ex-forces or reservist personnel can receive. Why are there never such generous terms for British ex-forces or reservist personnel working in or hoping join police forces in the U.K?
    Is it just money? Or is the message still not really sinking in as to the real benefits an ex-regular or reservist can bring to an organization?
    Do the Americans have the right attitude and should we copy it?
  2. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

The circumstances that you have outlined is a fairly common thing, in large USA Metropolitan cities. IMO it's a good thing, IMO the UK should adopt such a plan.

That said, I think it's a very good idea to recruit veterans' of the armed forces to law enforcement work. In my experience in US LE, as both an officer and police supervisor, I found that prior service people for the most part, made better police officers. They also tended to stay with it until retirement.

So yes, the UK should devise a similar plan and offer it to prior service people.

BTW: There is a similar thread here on ARRSE, about going from the military to the police. Perhaps your post should have been in that one.
  3. Reading some of those benefits just makes you realise how undervalued you really are by this country. You have to hand it to the Americans they know how to look after their own.
  4. I'm just very impressed by the way the American state offers lots of benefits to its service personnel and really feel it should be copied here.
    If the mods want to merge it I have no problem with that
  5. Yeah but I've seen the movies. They usually get shot in front of their partner on the day before retirement.
  6. I think the septics have always had it better WW 2 onwards,it isn't just since last week!!