Have some questions for UK soldiers...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Anastasia, May 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi!

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum. If I'm not, please let me know and I'll repost it.

I'm a fantasy fiction writer living in the United States. I published a military fantasy novel last year where the characters are elite team of elves part of an army in a fictional world. I donate a portion of my royalties to a charity in the US for wounded soldiers. The first two books of the series, have armies modeled after the military in the US.

For the third book (and possibly fourth) of the series, I want to introduce an army that is modeled after the UK military (including the SAS). I also want to have part of the royalties of my book sales from this particular book in the series go to a charity that benefits UK soldiers in some way.

So, my request here has two parts.

Would a soldier (retired or active) be willing to talk to me - answer questions about how the structure of the UK army is set up, ranking system, general military life, along with personal questions regarding a soldier's service in the military. My Dad served 20 years in the US army, but I know the UK army handles things differently. I want my fictional army to still be accurate in the facts, so require some help with this.

And, can anyone share any charities or organizations that benefit UK soldiers? In the US here we have the Wounded Warrior Project that helps wounded soldiers and their families after returning home and I'm looking for something similar - an organization that helps wounded (physical and mental) soldiers. I'm also interested in something that helps veterans.

Thank you so much!
    Anastasia V. Pergakis
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Holidays for heroes! Send Porridge_gun a message.
  3. If you want to attach a Canadian unit to your booky-elf-Forces, I'll be glad to help in exchange for a very modest, non-monetary fee.More of a trifling exchange of data, really. Anything for Veterans' charities. PM me with questions
  4. Combat stress for veterans charity, get my vote.
    For physical injury, Blesma, There will be lots of guys ready to pull up a sandbag.
    as for your books, post a link, always a fan of Tolkien,war hammer stuff.
  5. Thanks! I'll look up Holidays for Heroes and get some more info about them. :)
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

8. Flagrantviolater: Oh! That would be interesting to add to the stories I'm sure. I'll PM you with some questions. Thanks so much!

David: Thanks so much! I'll look then up. Also, only the first book of the series is out right now, but the second will be out in a few months (hopefully August but we'll see).

Here is the Amazon UK link for the e-book, but it is also in Paperback if you prefer that. Cleanse Fire: The Kinir Elite Chronicles eBook: Anastasia V. Pergakis: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

OldBaldy: Wow! Thanks for posting up my website and the link for Holidays for Heroes. :)
  9. Quite popular military charities in the UK are Help for Heroes (probably the largest), Army Benevolent Fund, Combat Stress and the Royal British Legion. Those 4 are the main ones.

Plenty of other smaller charities such as Holidays for Heroes (set up by this very site)
  10. Just going to give Cleanse Fire a go...
  11. Faustic: Thanks! Seems like a great list - I'll check them all out.

Boxy: Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy it. :)
  12. She seems such a sweet girl. As an aside,this popcorn could use more butter....
  13. Careful mate - the 'she's my precious' interweb plod are all over this like white on rice already.
  14. I am not an expert on Elf fiction but I can recommend a few units that are well known for being Fairies.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. I'd like to help too if I can.

PM me and I'll send my e mail address.