Have shitholes (or not so shitholes) turned into shittier holes?

One of the last bastions of Englishness has finally succumbed.
This am in Royal Tunbridge Wells.The Halifax bank.I went in to do some stuff.I noticed a woman on a seat with a bottle of vodka next to her - fair do's thought I she's sorting her shopping.Did what I had to do, went to leave The seat she had been on was swamped.She then staggered towards the cashiers counter and her arrse was also saturated.I was about to go back and tell the receptionist.She caught my eye,"It's ok" said she,"she was in yesterday and did the same thing....."
I was about to ask for her definition of being ok, but chose to leave.
As an odd counterpoint, the guy sleeping in the doorway of the now empty Maplins was sweeping out his space any tidying away his kit,picking up some litter and some empty beer tins.Which he took across the road and put into a bin.

For me it’s simple, the arrsehole of the world, so by definition, the shithole of the world, is, and always will be, fcuking MANCHESTER

I've got one of the UK's chav towns nearby and thankfully I don't live there, but it does have it's advantages

If I want a cheap morning fry up and feel lazy they have decent eateries by the armful, if I don't mind dodging tramps, chavs and general soap dodgers everything is cheap if I can't be bothered to wait for Amazon to deliver something

Most of the trouble happens at night when I avoid going near the place, and having that kind of town nearby has meant that property prices further out are affordable but it's rural, and life is more like it was 40 or 50 years ago so the pond life generally keep away

Agree, only that the time scale is somewhat astray, your 40-50- years marks you down as a resident of the Isle of white, the land that time and the modern crazy rush forgot. Our corner of empire is a haven from the lunacy you describe, chav central is but 2 miles away, complete with its infrastructure, and legions of teenage mums, but far enough away for any overspill to ruin the rural ideal.

If we're talking real shitholes, I give you the Soltau-Luneberg Training Area (SLTA) circa 1972, a really hot 4 week summer exercise with the Panzers and the famous Thunderbox shithole, a large MFO Box with a hole cut in the centre, sometimes, but not always, adorned with a wooden toilet seat. The said piece of furniture would be placed over a carefully dug trench or open pit, and privacy might be provided by a hessian screen. Whilst enjoying the comforts of a semi-decent dump for the first time in days with Noddy Kit on, Noddy trousers around your ankles, and in theory wearing your respirator with your Gat resting against the hessian, your bottom would be caressed or bitten by the thousands of flies and horseflies that inhabited the area. Would I even consider swapping that for something else....too right I would.
Should of had a couple of loggies throw on some JP-8 and a match and Bob's yer uncle. Might not get all of those bastarding horseflies, but it would be satisfying to watch.

Nam_HotShit.jpg

For me it’s simple, the arrsehole of the world, so by definition, the shithole of the world, is, and always will be, fcuking MANCHESTER
J Robert oppenheimer, the father of the atomic bomb, wanted to test his second bomb over an occupied city, the first test in the new Mexico desert was inconclusive, and so a B17 secretly flew over Manchester just minutes after a raid by the Luftwaffe, and dropped a Plutonium- cobalt salted nuclear device. His spies reported, that apart from the damage, nothing had changed, nobody noticed the difference, it was still a shithole, just like today.

Last edited:
Agree, only that the time scale is somewhat astray, your 40-50- years marks you down as a resident of the Isle of white, the land that time and the modern crazy rush forgot. Our corner of empire is a haven from the lunacy you describe, chav central is but 2 miles away, complete with its infrastructure, and legions of teenage mums, but far enough away for any overspill to ruin the rural ideal.
Wight.

I have lived in many places over the years, from North to South.

Two places I would never return to, one being Knowsley (my original home town) and the other being Manchester where I worked for several years.

When my family were booted out of our Liverpool slum, we went to Knowsley. Our new house had hot water and a bath and a toilet that was actually inside rather than at the bottom of the yard. Shame about the actual town.

We even had a park across the road, less than 100 yards from home. Where we had come from, grass was what grew out of the cracks between the paving slabs.

In 1968, the park was the dogs doo-doos. Loads of play equipment, big slide, 2 sets of swings, rocking horse, trees and a paddling pool that was filled up every summer. Tennis courts that you could hire for 6d, toilets that were clean, and a park attendant. Walls and trees you could climb and bushes you could play hide and seek in.

Now, 50 years on, it has........ a skateboard park. Everything else was vandalised or else removed to stop the druggies using it for hiding while they shot up.

If I ever get the chance to fly a fully loaded B-52 guess where the bombs are going?

Mansfield doesn't even qualify as a place in my book.
It's not the end of the world but you can certainly see it from there.
That must make Sutton in Ashfield the end of the world then...

... I rest my case m'lud.

Latest Threads