Have shitholes (or not so shitholes) turned into shittier holes?

We've always had our shitholes in this country.

Manchester always had Moss Side
Leicester always had New Parks and Braunstone
Glasgee always had Maryhill
London always had Peckham and Brixton
Merthyr Tydfil always had the Gurnos Estate

Since the growth of the internet though, people have got a bit fed up with driving into town on a Saturday, fighting congestion, trying to find somewhere to park, then paying over £5 when they do find a space, dodging all the tin-rattling hipsters with dreadlocks shaking tins in their face (for the kids in Effrika, innit) ...eventually getting served by some lazy disinterested gum-chewing 16 year old, only to be told the very item they specifically came for isn't available in that particular size, shape, model or colour.

Why bother when Amazon do the exact thing you need even cheaper - and drive it direct to your door (unless their courier of choice is Yodel or My Hermes, then you'll find it in about a 1,000 pieces hoofed over your back gate after watching a "sorry we missed you" card getting slid very slowly through your letter box) - or eBay, or any of the other outlets who have been smart enough the move their business in the larger part online.

Even the supermarkets have got in on the act, helping lazy cnuts stock their fridges (always makes me laugh seeing the Asda van turn up down my street to drop off a load to the perfectly-abled chap who owns 3 cars and lives exactly 1.24 miles from Asda - thanks FitBit).

Where does that leave our town centres?

With sky-high council rents and overheads, our few survivors consist largely of pound shops, cherridy shops, Costa-bucks and betting shops.

The result? Well the type of people found in cherridy shops, pound shops and betting shops are generally poor smelly people and Johnny Foreigners who have come here on a promise of a new and prosperous life but found themselves in the middle of modern day slavery - all of which have failed at life, carefully observed by the Costa-bucks customer, frequented occasionally by the hipster - a new breed of **** grown specifically to carry thin shiny laptops around and syphon off WiFi from such establishments, whilst updating his / her blog on the ethically-inspired projects to help Columbian families innocently caught up in cocaine-trafficking, by purchasing canvas bags from his trendy website and Fair Trade chocolate from the supermarket.

Conclusion - formerly, our poor and needy had the good grace to stay hidden in specifically built council estates and fight amongst themselves within a catchment area.

Build it and they will come, however.

The internet has allowed thick, uneducated people a voice and knowledge beyond their IQ

And town centres have now degraded themselves enough for single mum Vicky and her kids Tyler, Maddison, Skye, River and Cayden to feel at home and no longer priced out of a place that was once way beyond their reach.
And breathe.

I would agree. Sutton in Ashfield isn't twinned with anywhere but it does have a suicide pact with Beirut.
Sutton-In-Ashfield is the up-market part of Mansfield.

Point of order. I was a student in Leics in the late 70s. For 12 months I had digs on New Parks. The place was neat and tidy, real working class, self respecting people. There wasn't much money about, but it certainly wasn't a s********e. Braunstone however....

I'm told that nowadays it wholly deserves that nomenclature, and for that we have to thank or political masters, both national and local.

That "common sense" thing is a massive misnomer.
As one Albert Einstein said, “only two things are infinite; the universe and man’s stupidity. And I’m not sure about the universe”.

Manchester always had Moss Side
Leicester always had New Parks and Braunstone
Glasgee always had Maryhill
London always had Peckham and Brixton
Merthyr Tydfil always had the Gurnos Estate

Since the growth of the internet though, people have got a bit fed up with driving into town on a Saturday, fighting congestion, trying to find somewhere to park, then paying over £5 when they do find a space, dodging all the tin-rattling hipsters with dreadlocks shaking tins in their face (for the kids in Effrika, innit) ...eventually getting served by some lazy disinterested gum-chewing 16 year old, only to be told the very item they specifically came for isn't available in that particular size, shape, model or colour.

Why bother when Amazon do the exact thing you need even cheaper - and drive it direct to your door (unless their courier of choice is Yodel or My Hermes, then you'll find it in about a 1,000 pieces hoofed over your back gate after watching a "sorry we missed you" card getting slid very slowly through your letter box) - or eBay, or any of the other outlets who have been smart enough the move their business in the larger part online.

Even the supermarkets have got in on the act, helping lazy cnuts stock their fridges (always makes me laugh seeing the Asda van turn up down my street to drop off a load to the perfectly-abled chap who owns 3 cars and lives exactly 1.24 miles from Asda - thanks FitBit).

Where does that leave our town centres?

With sky-high council rents and overheads, our few survivors consist largely of pound shops, cherridy shops, Costa-bucks and betting shops.

The result? Well the type of people found in cherridy shops, pound shops and betting shops are generally poor smelly people and Johnny Foreigners who have come here on a promise of a new and prosperous life but found themselves in the middle of modern day slavery - all of which have failed at life, carefully observed by the Costa-bucks customer, frequented occasionally by the hipster - a new breed of **** grown specifically to carry thin shiny laptops around and syphon off WiFi from such establishments, whilst updating his / her blog on the ethically-inspired projects to help Columbian families innocently caught up in cocaine-trafficking, by purchasing canvas bags from his trendy website and Fair Trade chocolate from the supermarket.

Conclusion - formerly, our poor and needy had the good grace to stay hidden in specifically built council estates and fight amongst themselves within a catchment area.

Build it and they will come, however.

The internet has allowed thick, uneducated people a voice and knowledge beyond their IQ

And town centres have now degraded themselves enough for single mum Vicky and her kids Tyler, Maddison, Skye, River and Cayden to feel at home and no longer priced out of a place that was once way beyond their reach.
Bloody hell that's a quality rant, I'm almost sorry it ended so quickly. Encore?

Coventry felt like a big SH to me......a mish mash of weird architecture, crap city center, confusing roads etc. I know it was bombed but couldn't they have made it better instead of making it a lot worse?

The delicate snail could not handle life here. It is best you avoid places where hardy folk live and play.

Whiskey Outpost? Apt given that Starship Troopers is also a work of fiction; a figment of someone's imagination.

Sutton-In-Ashfield is the up-market part of Mansfield.
A doubled barrelled name only disguises how turbo-shit it really is. Mansfield is probably just mediocre shit.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
London always had Peckham and Brixton.
You don't get out much, do you? Both areas are now becoming gentrified and are getting their acts together, do you know how many chocofrappamochalatte shops or artisan pubs there are in Brixton these days? Too f'kin many, gone are the greasy spoon cafes and pie and mash shops beloved of many a diabetic Sarff Londoner with cardiac problems!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You don't get out much, do you? Both areas are now becoming gentrified and are getting their acts together, do you know how many chocofrappamochalatte shops or artisan pubs there are in Brixton these days? Too f'kin many, gone are the greasy spoon cafes and pie and mash shops beloved of many a diabetic Sarff Londoner with cardiac problems!
Agree. They are the new Shoreditches.

Latest Threads