Have I done the right thing transferring

Discussion in 'REME' started by fazer600sy, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well its my first post on the forum and seeing as there seems to be a lot of REME guys on here, I would like to ask have I done the right thing in transferring to the REME I have only 2 months left on VM(B) trade course and I am trying hard not to let Bordon put me off, could it be any worse out there? or should I run now. :plotting:
  2. what trade were you before?
  3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I know a fair few re-treads, some went through Bordon, some went through Arborfield.

Although the field force is currently a lot of hard work, every single one of them says that Bordon/Arborfield are both a billion times worse, unless you are permanant staff!

The grass IS greener!
  4. RMP, dont rebadge until after Leconfield.
  5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Then you've DEFINATELY done the right thing!, Just be prepared for a lot of flak for being a stinking plod!
  6. I would say the promotion prospects were slighty favoured in REME if you were going the Artificer route however if you you fail the PAAB or not recomended to go that route your max rank will be SSgt. Hope that you have been told this as its one thing that the REME are good at not telling you. So choose wisely - you have a brain as you wouldnt have gained entry to the RMP on initial selection. Its also a lot about what you enjoy go with what will make you happpiest long term - promotion or your trade...its tough call, being a ex transferee -- i have done a lot of what ifs!!!!!
  7. Fazer- It's far better to be a grease monkey than an RMP. Apparently you need halitosis to be an RMP, that way blind people hate you too.

Seriously though once you leave Bordon things will start to improve rapidly. You won't look back.
  8. The tiffy route was explained to me before I finished attachment at 6 Bn. On changing capbadge I will drop from Cpl to Cfn for 6 mths until attaining class 2 then get stripes back. Apparantly my paperwork states I will have to wait 4 years for class 1 as everyone else has to, I am just hoping this doesnt go to plan and I get loaded sooner or I will be looking at 12 years service before I gain class 1, which I presume may also affect me going for tiffy.
  9. 6Bn no wonder your having second thoughts.
  10. No worries there will be VEng for our best and brightest. The least of your worries matey, you have friends, so enjoy the novelty after the years of being an outcast stink monkey.
  11. It wasnt that bad to be honest. It couldnt have been really as that made my mind up to switch.
  12. And heres me thinking I was an outcast within the monkeys because I had friends on the other side :mrgreen:
  13. Fazer- as i recall, one of our Corps RSM's was a re-traded tankie (his name was Walker). I think he has now gone on to an LE commission so there is plenty of time for you. I think you'll find that the 4 year wait would be the worst case scenario, as long as you knuckle down you'll be fine.
  14. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Check your PM's mate.