have i been conned?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by fusilier50, Feb 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the following is a copy of a twitter conversation i have just had with the t-mobile helpdesk. i have been checking my annual account and spotted what i assumed was a mistake in billing. My bill rose from £21 +vat to £31+vat for no apparent reason.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me- yes my number is ...........

Op-Hian see this is a business account, I would have to ask you to call the business support team for support 0845 412 2222 ^Barry

me- its not a business account its my own personal mobile

Me-what is going on why is it showing you it is a business account? i

Op-Hi Can you DM the name registered on the account please? ^Barry

Me-######################################

Me-#############################

Op-Hi, my bad. I've got the account now. Have you checked your bills to see what usage is taking it over? ^Barry

Me-i have +there is nothing to explain why my bills went from £21 a month to £31 in June 2011.It has been the same ever since

Me- i havent made any changes in my contract or changed my usage. i am at a loss as to why you've increased the amount without my knowledge

Me- i have a few months left on my current contract+ was going to stay with T mobile but this is making me reconsider

Op- Hi ###### there was a £10 and a £5 loyalty discount on the account which ended on the 4th June 2011, that's the cause of it. ^Barry

Me- i know nothing about loyalty discounts. i signed a contract for £21 a month. i'm getting the distinct impression i have been ripped off

Me- as soon as my contract is up i wont be renewing it. i have been misled by your sales team and will not be using your service again

Me- I can afford the £37 a month you are now charging me but this is NOT what i signed up for. i am extremely unhappy about this

Me- Can you do something about this? you must have a record of my original agreement which made no mention of loyalty discounts.

Op- Hi #######, the notes on the account state that the discount was only for a 12 month period which would have run out at that time

Me- then i've been misled as this was never mentioned when i signed the contract.i signed a contract to pay £21 a month.no bonus's or discounts

Me- i have been with you for 3 years now.as soon as this contract is finished you have lost me as a customer and i wont be back.

Me- can you tell me exactly how long i've got on this contract so i can start shopping around elsewhere

Op-Hi #######, the commitment runs out on the 4th June this year.

Me- is ths actually legal?Can you make changes to my contract without my agreement?you will have taken £168 off me that i have never agreed to

Me- are you sure you are looking at the right contract as this is not what i signed for? i really do think there has been a mistake on your part

Op-Hi ######, the terms were agreed over the telephone at the time of the renewal. The timescales were advised at this time and agreed to

Op- Hi ########, yes we are viewing the correct line, the notes are very clear on the account from the day of upgrade

Me- i signed the contract in the T-mobile store in ####### Manchester not over the phone. there was no mention of timescales discount or bonus's

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am still arguing my case but am i right? have i been misled or should i just accept ive been screwed and pay it til the end of the contract in june? What can i do about it?

2. Op-Hi ########, the store called to confirm your upgrade detials, they have to call to arrange upgrade deals.

Me-They may have called you but i did not agree to such a contract with such constraints. i will be seeking legal advice on this matter

3. There will be a clause somewhere in your contract that says something on the lines of 'we can increase your bill by any amount we please at any the **** time we like and you can either like it or lump it.'

They all do, from every company. Involving Trading Standards may help, probably not.

4. Welcome to rip off Britain, I had the same with British telecom, they don't tell you that the original deal is expiring just up your bill by 30 percent

5. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I used to manage a well known high street mobile telephony store. If discounts last for less than the full length of the contract they have to tell you so prior to you signing. Speak to a manager in the call centre and mention the magic words "general condition 23".

google it and read up on it first so you can quote from it.

It may not help but its worth a try.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don't have a mobile and never will (too intrusive and fiddly and rip offish),,however almost every member of my extended family have experienced almost identical problems with phones (mobile and land),,Until this country gets a grip on the cheating contracts written up by highly paid legal eagles then this problem will persist...............

At least you could trust the old GPO........

7. Go into store, if possible, for face to face, kick up a stink. **** all these bullshit help desks.

8. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer

And whatever you do, don't move to Vodafone!

My £25 per month contract costs between £26 and £49 per month. I've cancelled the direct debit, stopped internet access, and rarely make calls, all of which should have been included in the original price. And still every month I spend an hour arguing with them about the bill.

Roll on January 2013 when the contract expires and they won't see me for dust.

9. I've got a SIM-only contract with O2 Business, I get 1200mins and Christ knows how many texts for £19.00/month +VAT. It's usually cheaper to get a SIM-only contract and buy your own phone.

Oh yes, and free O2-O2 calls and free calls to ten geographic landlines.

10. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer

I'd be back to 02 like a shot, after many happy years as a customer, if only there was an O2 signal at my house!

11. has anybody tried o2 simplicity- wow- wot a misnomer-simple if your a nuclear physicist with a phd in gobbledygook and advanced illogical thinking !! took me six months to work out that whatever you did you never won- bit like doing the lottery but only using the numbers 50-99 !!

12. many thanks for this information. on reading it i have discovered they have contravened at least 4 clauses. i have given up on the help desk and have written a formal complaint.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Happy to be of service.