Have I been a plonker and damaged myself!?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flowers, May 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, I am typing this in a wee bit of pain. I've just come back from a run. Time and distance all relatively easy and it should have been a breeze BUT about half way in I had the worst pain in both my feet. So much so that I had to physically stop moving and check I hadn't just ran over 5 inch deep broken glass without trainers on.
    I do have a foot injury anyway, but this pain was nothing to do with that as it happened in both feet and was a completely different feeling. The only explanation I have for this it, was that it was my first serious run 'off piste', normally I am a bit of a concrete runner. But since moving out of London and back to the country I thought I'd try a bit of outward bound. :lol:

So my question is, was this muscular foot strain due to virgin feet on rough dry terrain, or have I busted myself?? :roll:

2. and your sure there is no glass or nails in there?

You never know...your feet might have had a severe allergic reaction with cow pat.

as to your question i dont know. Can you describe the pain any better? Has it improved or worsened since comming back and sitting down?

3. Could it be described as numbness or pins and needles?

I've had this before, and when I asked about it on ARRSE the general consensus was that it was due to badly fitting trainers.

4. If it is both feet then it is lmore ikely to have been a nerve in your lower back which you might have pinched when twisting or balancing. stretch carefully and if there is any lasting pain see a doctor. It should just settle down after a warm shower or bath and rest.

5. If it is both feet then it is lmore ikely to have been a nerve in your lower back which you might have pinched when twisting or balancing. stretch carefully and if there is any lasting pain see a doctor. It should just settle down after a warm shower or bath and rest.

6. This is good advice. Do you need a hand, in the shower, Flowers?

7. Thanks for the info so far chaps. My trainers are a good fit, I'd had to be extra careful about that due to a past injury. So I know it's definitely not that.
    The pain went about 45mins-1hour after my run, and my feet are fine this morning.
    Speaking to an ex-DS at work he's suggesting it is because I went on rough terrain, not being used to it and not wearing trail shoes meant my foot had to work twice as hard to keep stable, thereby overloading the muscles of the foot.
    Any advice for trail / off road running as it must be my technique that's crap.. :(

8. I heard there is only room for one on your speshull disabled shower seat! :lol: So, no! :p

9. Have heard of this once before from someone who also did a lot of road running. it appeared that it was the feet/muscles flexing in ways that they were not used too. A firmer/less flexible trainer seemed to fix the problem. You should find that the problem will go after a couple weeks of regular exercise cross country. If it persist, obviously you need proper advice from someone a lot more qualified than me!

:p

10. There are loads of off road trainers so you need to get the one designed for the terrain you'll be covering e.g. dry forrest tracks, muddy & wet, rocky, course grass blah blah. Using a road running trainer is like competing in the Tour De France on a unicycle :D . For an all round trail running shoe give the Montrail (continental divide) or the Inov8 Roclite315 (these look bogging but do the job) a bash, the latter i can personally recomend.

Because you're running off road/trail the surface is uneven and its hard to get a perfect stride & running rhythm. This puts additional strain on the muscles around the ankles, hips, quads and botty. Think about where & how you are placing your feet, uphill you need short strides, tit.s and head up, downhill you need to be on the balls of your feet. If you're doing a full monty & running through streams you want to attack them with high steps, placing your feet like you were walking on eggshells. The following sounds a bit daft because running is second nature but try to work each leg equally, what i mean is try to alternate between plant (land) & drive (push off) with each leg, everyone tends to favour one but this leads to tiredness & fatigue quicker.

If that doesnt help, have you seen the episode of friends where Phobie & Rachel go running in the park...... thats how i run.

Time & practice is all it takes.

11. Cheers for all the advice guys, much appreciated!

Cait, the trail shoes are being marked as 'essential' and being squeezed onto the credit card - cheers for the recommendations!!