Have Anschutz sold shooters out to the PC mob ?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by No_Duff, Sep 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have shooters been sold out to the PC crowd. Anschutz have an electronic tag/wrist device that stops the gun being fired etc etc

Gun locks are bad enough without this crap idea.

I've uploaded the blurb in Boxhead/English

2. What a great idea......for Anschutz! If everyone who's hunting, (and their dogs!) have to wear one of these 'don't shoot me' chips, it's going to need a good number of them, and i can't see them being cheap!

It will also give the antis a new hobby; catching animals and chipping them so they can't be shot.

It'll be great with club guns at the range as well. Better hope you've got the right watch to go with your rifle!

All in all a bizarre idea, which I really hope doesn't catch on.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

prolegal » Topmeldungen

Top topic for the German shootists legal lobbyists. A million shooters in Germany is a big bunch of voters.....

Jerry forums generally seem to see it as a limited application thing and a bit gimicky. Maybe it has applications in certain situations - I seem to recall the Jerry plod testing and binning the idea some ago, albeit with maybe older technology.
    More blurb here:
    Armatix GmbH: Overview
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Any margin in equipping all US pointy sticks and bang tubes with the Hunting Control Chip?

It might work a bit more reliably than their current FFR methods!

On a more serious note the control chip could well have future military potential. After all it should be a touch more effective than an SLR with an NI sling conversion!
  5. Agreed that it attempts to solve a training problem with a gadget solution...(i.e. the ISSF already have a competition rule that the bolt shouldn't be closed unless the rifle is "on target"). Might save some damage from the beginner who doesn't understand how sights work, or the numpty who doesn't boresight a newly-fitted set of sights.

The bigger issue for target shooters is whether range operators start to insist on such things as a part of the range safety certificate / insurance. A properly designed and correctly operated range shouldn't need such gadgetry, but I worry that someone will think that it reduces the chances of Murphy putting a round over the top of the mantlet.

It strikes me that if you need such things, then it's already too late - an unsupervised and careless numpty has already got a gun.
  6. Yeah, the on-target system might have some use if you're running a fairground stall or guest day at a club, helping to preserve the backstop and target surroundings, etc, but it's usefulness is really limited to that.

If anyone needs the system as part of their day to day shooting, then they shouldn't be handling the firearm in the first place. Your target should be identified well before you get to squeezing off the trigger. There's been isues in the States with people getting shot, but if you're going to shoot at noises in the dark, then you're going to end up shooting your mates. You should have identified your target already.

As mentioned, the control chip could be very useful in combat situations. Just as long as you have an override switch on the rifle in case the enemy gets hold of your chip codes and is identifying themselves as friend not foe. The soldier is still going to have to make a judgement call.

I can see the wrist-strap idea could be useful in law enforcement. Isn't there a ridiculous number of American police killed with their own sidearms? Killing the gun if it gets dropped in a struggle and picked up by someone else could be a very valuable feature, but it would need to be 100% reliable, so if the cop picks their own gun back up, they know it will shoot instantly and won't be sat useless whilst it validates.