Have an idea for exercise, how best to sell it?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Mar 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok how best to present it to sell it to the OC.

Have been thinking about presenting a timeline of events (each event would be controlled by a different J/SNCO). My idea is a sort of total concept weekends which, if run, could change how we train (and go back to pre SDR days).
  2. What's a total concept weekend? Our attendance has been so bad recently, it sounds like something we could do with.

Anyway, shouldn't you be on parade? :thumright:

[Edited to say: Just seen your comments on the other thread re dirty bomb scenario. I think it's a great idea and wish our bosses could organise something like that. Surely as part of the UK Ops role, this kind of exercise should be our bread and butter? We are forever being briefed by the CoC about our job providing comms for the CCRF and other assets - but on ex, we never actually put these scenarios together. I think the soldiers would really enjoy it as they'd have a proper challenge for a change]
  3. If you want to sell it to your OC then try E-Bay.
  4. Make him think it was his idea and you will do most of the leg work :thumright:
  5. Yep, but it isn't my primary income.
  6. Polar - you're a bit sparse on the detail there..

What do you mean, exactly, by 'sort of total concept weekend'? By timeline you presumably mean some sort of programme of inter-linked weekends and progressive training? And what do you have in mind?

On sales pitch - the same as for retail: people don't want to hear features, they want to hear about the benefits. They buy something they need. So see what skills or other gap is lacking, and demonstrate how your idea meets that need.
  7. i had a great idea worked on it for ages went the whole hog took it to the training capt he didn't rip it to shreds he actually said it was fantastic never heard anything again i would go straight to ssm if he is approachable let him push it if he thinks its worth it
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Prepare your training plan, including benefits which should be directly or indirectly in support of your CO's training objectives.

If it supports JNCO development, MATTs, prep for deployment etc then highlight the fact.

Make sure your plan is thought through in terms of logistic support required, and the implications arising from it.

Consider the staff efforts required if is a serious deviation from the norm. The more effort required, the more lead in time required.

Once you have done all of this, ask for an interview and present your plan. Also be prepared to support whoever has to do all of the work to prepare the exercise.

Our CSM proposed the exercise which we did last weekend. He prepared the initial instruction and went up a day early to do the confirmatory recce. A "simple" exercise (navex and tabbing around the Black Mountains and the Beacons) required a load of typing from me (ex instruction, easp and risk assessment), land clearances obtained by the TM, G4 support from the NRPS and TA CQMS team (3 day weekend required), and bids galore from the SPSI. What seems to be simple often isn't, but that does not mean that you should not make the effort.

9. Duke is on the button. The less work for anyone else, the more they'll listen.
  10. Don't knock it. If you give an idea enough lead-time, you can get some very nice stuff done.

About a decade ago, our Bn had an OC who decided that it would be a good idea to try and run a TA all-arms exercise; and succeeded - jacked up through co-operation, rather than as a Brigade-organised activity.

The local TA RE Sqn put in a bridge, the infantry company dug in to defend it, the TA RLC Tpt Sqn had vehicles crossing it, local TA RA cloudpunchers did VSHORAD and tried to play FOO, the local UOTC played enemy, two of us from Bn HQ played HICON... all over a weekend at Barry Buddon, and jacked up at Coy/Sqn/Bty level by the TA.
  11. That's the sort of training weekend everyone wants to go on. Beats sitting in a classroom watching death by vufoil.