HAVE-A-GO DAD ARRESTED FOR TAKING ON YOBS

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by shaka, Oct 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HAVE-A-GO DAD ARRESTED FOR TAKING ON YOBS
    Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
    BEN EVANS
    BEN.EVANS@SWWP.CO.UK

10:00 - 03 October 2006
    A vigilante dad has been arrested after taking a stand against boy racers.

The young drivers had allegedly been terrorising residents of Parc Gwernfadog in Morriston leaving many fearing for the safety of their children as they made their way home from school.The 38-year-old was furious after one driver almost ran over his five-year-old son Haris in Rhodfa Fadog last Thursday.

Mark Morgan was so fed up with the police response he decided to try to deal with it himself. But instead he found himself on the wrong side of the law and with an instant fine.

He also spent six hours in a police cell after smashing the windows of the culprit's car when it pulled into a nearby supermarket car park.

Speaking today from his home, Mr Morgan insisted he had the backing of many of his neighbours. He said the incident had followed a series of others involving the drivers on local roads putting lives at risk.

The former soldier claimed he had no regrets at taking the drastic action - despite being fined £80 for his actions.

He had been waiting two hours for the police to arrive when he saw the young driver in Julian's supermarket car park. Mr Morgan tried blocking the boy racer in, but when the driver started taunting him, he decided to teach the youngster a lesson and smashed the other car's windows.

Officers told him they would give him an on-the-spot fine of £80 if he pleaded guilty and did not pursue a case of dangerous driving against the other driver.

"I know I was wrong to do what I did but as far as I am concerned, in my heart it was £80 well spent," said Mr Morgan.

"I went to the chip shop the other day and everybody clapped as I went in. People are saying I did what they had all wanted to do but they didn't have the courage to do it.

"We have all been young and sped in our cars but when there are children coming out of school, it is completely uncalled for.

"If there had not been a kerb for the car to bounce off on Thursday, there would be six or seven children not here with us today."

Mr Morgan says he remains determined not to be intimidated.

"I was in the Army for 10 years - I did two tours of Northern Ireland - so I'm not frightened of them," he added. "I just want them out of my street."

However, a police spokesman warned people not to take the law into their own hands. He added: "We understand the concerns from the community about the speed of the vehicles and the manner of driving in this case.

"However, we would urge everyone to remain calm and entrust the police and partners to provide long-term sustainable solutions to matters like these.

"Though Mr Morgan's case is by no means less important to us, we had to deal with other more urgent matters at the same time.

"The initial report was not graded as immediate response, and was therefore passed on to officers for intelligence gathering purpose.
    "We have been working very closely with local residents to target this kind of behaviour as this is not an issue that the police can tackle on our own.

"We will not tolerate anti-social behaviour activities and will deal with it seriously."

2. Good lad. Next time he should go dressed in his greens, with a balaclava on and shades over the top, looking a bit like the local branch of the Provos ... and really give the little buggers something to think about.

3. If a citizen has given the legal route (calling the police) a good go and it hasn't helped, then surely said citizen has the right to deal with the situation himself if his families safety is as stake.

Ski.

4. I took a beating with a half golf club and in front of my then 5 year and 9 year old & wife outside my house in a small quiet village after confronting 2 assholes who had been indimidating me for a while - trying to protect both my neighbours and my property one six foot 4 the other 6 foot (ime only 5 9) arrested one of them but his big mate decided to give me a kicking - police called, interviewed and charged them then 3 MONTHS later decided to charge me with breach of the peace! case was thrown out but just shows the resolve of the country - wot a bag of nuts

5. Had an incident out side my house two weeks ago when yobs (sorry can’t call them that) were fighting each other. Took 3 minutes for the operator to answer the 999 and them she and I chatted for ten minutes as the police were engaged and she could not put me through. We ended with a compromise and she put me thought to the next nearest constabulary, North Yorkshire. By this time the victims had been let into a house and the yobs were running round the gardens. Nothing done, ho and the operator was in Glasgow.

6. The police 'let him off' with the fine if, and only if, he didn't pursue the case of dangerous driving against a yob that nearly killed a bunch of kids. How bloody good of them, anything to save a bit of paperwork I suppose. They should be ashamed to wear the uniform.

£80? Anyone want to join me in contributing to this bloke's fine?

7. From Sir Robert Peel's Seventh Principle of Policing:

"[...] the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."

That said, bashing in the window is not something that the police would have done had they shown up either. Correct course of action is probably to arrest the kid.

NTM

8. Whilst not condoning the actions of "smashing the car window", perhaps this incident was sheer frustration on behalf of the complainant. I have a degree of sympathy with the gentleman concerned and have reported incidents of criminal damage to police to wait for a response and none has been forthcoming, even in the form of a passing patrol car.

I appreciate that police must prioritise incidents, however, to see 3 static police cars monitoring traffic speed and carrying out VRN checks some 3 miles from the incidents concerned does not inspire confidence in current policing methods.

Whilst serving officers may cry that this is a seperate branch of policing (ie: traffic division), the public perception is one of "uniformed officers" sat at laybys looking for motorists creeping over the speed limit, whilst public reported crime calls are prioritised as non urgent, with at best a courtesy drive past and at worst, will recieve no response at all and be justified as "intelligence gathering". What absolute rubbish is this "intelligence gathering". Put in a plain English translation, "we will file this and if it happens again it may constitute a crime trend and we may respond!!!!".

The ACPO need to grip "governmental policing policy" and expose it for the statistical legerdarme which it is, and reintroduce the police back onto the streets instead of filling statistical returns extolling the virtues of an inept "policing vision"in order to further Chief Constables' careers by currying political favour.

I read with dismay, on a day to day basis, numerous incidents where the victims of crime find themselves having the full weight of the law applied against them, whilst the criminals appear to be totally unaccountable for their actions. The law within a democracy is applied to protect the majority. This is clearly being misconstrued to a point where the law is being used in favour of the criminal at the expense of the victim.

This Government may be particularly adept at introducing new laws, but until the judicial system respond with "proportionate sentencing" and the police officer is allowed to carry out his job without the unnecessary distraction of prioritisation of crime incidents to fullfill statistical targets, these incidents will become more frequent.

9. Don't forget that, yet again, a young father was stabbed to death at the weekend by a gang of youths who were causing trouble outside his house.

These things used to be rare, and I mean really rare. Now they are happening at about one incident a month.

10. The scuffs must have diplomas in scoring home goals.

11. Perhaps this is why when John Reid quoted "Stop moaning, take action" a very hasty retraction ensued. In order for the populace to take action, it must have the confidence that the criminal justice system and the police will side with them.

Numerous incidents have proven otherwise, and unfortunately fatalities are becoming more frequent. For these people to "have a go" shows a public lack of confidence in current policing strategy.

I have even stated to Mrs Mad_Mac (after objects were thrown at my windows, luckily not breaking them), that I will chase these creatures and perform a citizens arrest until the police arrive. Mrs Mad_Mac has responded that it would be wiser to stay behind closed doors as the police would arrest me for assault, false imprisonment etc. If this is the perception of the status quo, I believe policing policies are ineffectual and are demonstrably unbalanced in the favour of the criminal element.

This contradicts the stratagem dictated by the Home Office, relying on community support to aid the enforcement of common sense policing policy. Until this fundamental approach is adopted, with community and police working together, as opposed to tangents, more tragic incidents will occur.

12. I think this sums it up. From the Torygraph in May 2006.

This admission of failure is a damning indictment of misconcieved policy making.

13. Note the numerous incidents that contradict this statement:

14. A man with a knife get into the Garden of Nr 10 and there is to be a big security review. Police state he was lucky not to be shot .

smacks of double standards .

15. I also picked up on the Police compromise of accept a £80 in agreement to not charge the yob driver. How is that possibly fair? Isn't that a sort of blackmail?

This is one little chink on the way to total anarchy in the UK. It may be 20 years down the line but while it will still be illegal, owning a hand gun for protection will be overlooked by the Police providing it is not used.

And if you think I am being dramatic, try and imagine the social thinking of young people in 2 generations time. They can't keep drugs, knives and guns out of schools now FFS.