• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Haunted Depots, Barracks and Training Areas

Many British army barracks and training areas are in historical places, some very ancient (Salisbury Plain etc.)

Have any ARRSErs got tales of improbable, perhaps supernatural happening in such locations?

If so, do tell - and post piccies if appropriate.

B

Biscuits_AB

When I was in the cadets, we frequently went to Cultybraggen and Drip Camp, both of which were purported to be haunted by 'executed' POWs....what about when you were in the cadets Caubeen?

Biscuits_AB said:
When I was in the cadets, we frequently went to Cultybraggen and Drip Camp, both of which were purported to be haunted by 'executed' POWs....what about when you were in the cadets Caubeen?
Yes, Culty is said to have a "ghost army" on the trg area, and on SPTA I have seen and heard some very queer things indeed.

caubeen said:
Rab658 said:
caubeen said:
Rab658 said:
I hope this helps, there are a brave few places on this:-

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=1921.html
VMT.

"Brave few" ??

You an Ulsterman? Result!!!
An Ulsterman Oh yes...

British by birth, Ulsterman by the grace of God :D
And God bless you for it! Served with many like you.

Got any spooky stories from your own service/travels? Do post.

None during my service or travels, but just before I got married I bought a Black lab pup, it had the run of the house and used to come up to my bed and lie between the wife (now ex) and myself.
She had it out for a walk when it was about 9 months old, it got off the lead, was knocked down and killed.
About 2 weeks later we were in bed sleeping and both woke up because we felt something jump onto the bed and lie between us, I was'nt frightened, but I felt comforted that the pup came home, so to speak.

Up in Hohne there are a number of buldings that are really haunted and there is rumoured to be a cash prize if you can stay all night in the most haunted of them.

B

Biscuits_AB

caubeen said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Yes, Culty is said to have a "ghost army" on the trg area, and on SPTA I have seen and heard some very queer things indeed.
Did these 'queer' things involve any of those high ranking mates of yours? The ones from way back when you were in BKY and had a 'crown on the epaulette'?

Biscuits_AB said:
Did these 'queer' things involve any of those high ranking mates of yours? The ones from way back when you were in BKY and had a 'crown on the epaulette'?

Ah yes, the Burger King Yeomanry, a fine body of men with a proud history. Yes, the 'Flame-Grillers' were a force to be reckoned with.

I too am ex-BKY, but didn't manage to rise to the dizzy heights of having a crown on my epaulettes, I did have a star on my badge though....

Mighty_Blighty said:
Hohne Trg area (Bergen-Belson) still gives me the heebie-jeebies :oops:

Spooky place.
Yes a very spooky drive past there on the range road, never seen any birds flying over Belson. I spent a lot of time in Osnatrabruk in most of the barracks and there were lots of Stories about ghosts of German soldiers who were buried alive in the buildings cellars in Belfast and Roberts Bks.

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
IIRC, there was a block in Dortmund (can't remember which barracks, but it was one just next to the B1) that had a huge swastika on the wall from pre WW2 - and no matter how many times it was painted over, the damn thing would fade back through within a couple of weeks.

Biscuits_AB said:
caubeen said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Well before that, when I was a CCF cpl and at Culty for summer camp, and when stalking roe deer on Salisbry Plain c. 1970. Very weird in both locs.

B

Biscuits_AB

What about after you were commissioned into the CCF in Belfast....any strange goings on there? No strong desires long after you left to walt about hinting that you were in the Army?

Biscuits_AB said:
What about after you were commissioned into the CCF in Belfast....any strange goings on there? No strong desires long after you left to walt about hinting that you were in the Army?
CCF? Fine organisation.

Shitsville? Noble city.

I am a humble retired Brigadier on an exiguous pension, longing for a spot of good flyfishing in Erin, and missing my wife and chisselers.

Bushmills all right for you? Splendid!

Latest Threads