Haunted Barracks

Fulwood Barracks (mentioned up-thread) rates a mention here, as do a few Lincs airfields. I can testify that there are some airfields in Lincs & E Anglia that spook the living s**t out of you when the mist rolls in.

Mill Street Barracks, St Helens, Merseyside​

Built in the 1800s the Barracks has housed many branches of the armed forces. Used as a morgue in the World Wars its not unheard of that spirits are said to linger here. An apparition of a male who seems to have a thing for the ladies has been sighted and heard upstairs.

A black three legged dog named Bruce who was a former pet has been seen looking for his master. Cats and many other animals have been seen and heard. In the old accommodation block, an angry man lurks

Not the ghost of an RSM perchance!

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
I only read the first few posts on this thread but it certainly seems a lot of members of this forum either have overly vivid imaginations, eat a lot of cheese just before bedtime or both.

I only read the first few posts on this thread but it certainly seems a lot of members of this forum either have overly vivid imaginations, eat a lot of cheese just before bedtime or both.
Just because you've not experienced something, it doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I've experienced things I cant explain. Ghosts? Spirits? Who knows? I stay healthily sceptical. Maybe it's just something we dont have the science for yet. It wasn't that long ago that people thought that if you went over 30mph on a train you'd suffocate!

Doc Blackadder

Old-Salt
I can attest to the spookiness of Fulwood Barracks, the Yorkshire air museum and Dempsey Barracks QM Dept in Germany!

Anyone mentioned the camp the RHF were in, when they were in Fally ?

I seem to recall a lot of RHF saying it was haunted.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I can attest to the spookiness of Fulwood Barracks, the Yorkshire air museum and Dempsey Barracks QM Dept in Germany!
The Adjt was shot dead on the square by a disgruntled soldier in Fulwood Bks, Preston, in the 1850s I think.

Doc Blackadder

Old-Salt
I think i heard of that story, lets face it, everyone's wanted to shoot an officer at some point. I blame Sharpe's Waterloo! haha.

The Adjt was shot dead on the square by a disgruntled soldier in Fulwood Bks, Preston, in the 1850s I think.

That was a common story when we used to stay their as cadets in the late 70's. Some f*cking spooky places in some of those old barrack blocks :)

Doc Blackadder

Old-Salt
AFC Harrogate 1998, was still the old buildings of the Junior leaders college. We were told to stay away from the top floor, no reason given, being 17 and full of heroic youthful courage, several of us went up to the corridor in question and "broke in". Got halfway down the corridor when something small scuttled ahead of us, cheap naffi torches were flicked on and the presence of baby sized footprints in the dust sent us withdrawing with all speed and dignity. Looking back it could well of been the screws having a laugh but what was the baby sized black mass that scuttled in front of us........?

To the best of my knowledge the entire camp has been revamped and rebuilt so the old building may well be lost to time.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably more due to the spirits that the Jocks were imbibing than to the ones from yesteryear lurking in the barracks.

you say that, but even from a purely scientific viewpoint there's a fair amount of electrical energy in the human nervous system that has to go somewhere at the point of death. decomposition doesn't account for it, and it can't be destroyed as per the laws of thermodynamics...so where does it go??

you say that, but even from a purely scientific viewpoint there's a fair amount of electrical energy in the human nervous system that has to go somewhere at the point of death. decomposition doesn't account for it, and it can't be destroyed as per the laws of thermodynamics...so where does it go??

It's earthed ;)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer