hats. who is one?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by threaders-vm, Mar 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a hat.
    I am REME and non airborne trained, therefore I am a hat, I understand this.
    But I have been aquainted with chumps not in the paras who insist they are not hats.
    I believe that if you are not para regt then you are a hat, does anybody agree/disagree?
    Eitherway, I wear my 'hat' with pride.
  2. I too am not in para reg ergo I am a hat. No worries.

However lots of people who are not in the paras but who feel that they are slightly 'special' because they have volunteered for something call other people who haven't 'hats'.

Ignore them, they are mongs.
  3. you know the score, stu-grant.
    you can be my wing man anytime
    f*****g mongs hey.
  4. I am also a "Hat", I always belived that if you were either Pare, RM or SF then you were not a "Hat", but the rest of us are?
  5. The way I understand it, any soldier who wears anything other than their own beret or normal working headress in no 2's is a hat. however para trained other arms and corps wear what their corps tells them, hence they are hats.
    A REME or RLC soldier with wings is still a hat.
  6. Well, the way the RAF / MOD are cutting back on the parachute jumping allocation, gradually everyone will be a 'hat'.......
  7. Where does UN duty fit in on this?
  8. I believe George Bush is a hat...

Twat In A Hat
  9. I'm not a hat though i'm amazed at the amount of people who get upset at being classed as one. It is not a derogatory term as such, but rather a term used to distinguish between us Parachute Regiment soldiers and other units. The biggest culprits of 'i'm not a hat' syndrome are those attached units within 16AA Bde who have their wings. The term hat was never originally used to define a non-airborne soldier from an airborne soldier but rather a Parachute Regiment soldier from any other soldier no matter if that individual is parachute qualified or not. Obviously over the years it has been adopted by all soldiers who are para qualified. If it bothers you that much and you don't want to be classed as a hat then transfer to the Parachute Regiment whilst us in the Parachute Regiment sign off, PVR or transfer out! :wink:
  10. Surely as Helicopter Assault Troops, the paras themselves are the origional HATs? :D
  11. Am a hat and proud of it when I was posted down at LOGS We nicked a sign from a building site that said HARD HAT AREA and hung it outside the shed, used to really piss people off.
  12. Am I a hat or what!!! and so is my mum(I think)
  13. Considering we usually travel by 4 tonner everywhere i think you are mistaken! :wink:
  14. I always thought the term Hat was for people who had not done P Company and qualified for a Maroon Beret., ( although Commandos and SF are also non Hats as they have earned theirs too )

If you are in Air Assult and don't have the maroon machine then you are a hat, even if you have wings.
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

RM = Sea Hat
    SF = fit hat (ex para regt excluded)

Simple really!