Hats off to the crabs again

I'm in danger of making a habit out of this, but alas the crabs have done something right again :(

Just put my gore-tex in to be re-proofed. Never had that offered by an Army QM...EVER!

GORETEX..........................RE PROOFED!
HOLD ON ...IS IT APRIL THE 1st? NOPE?

Must be a wah then.

How do you re proof something that works off the size of its weave?
Re weave it?

WAH WAH WAH WAH! (to the tune of the ads coming on in Corro)

You've been done my son!!

That did come to mind, however it aparently has a water repellent coating as well just to up its effectiveness. You learn something new every day!

my civvie gortex jacket mentions reproofing. Sounded like it was easy to do

Evilgoblin said:
That did come to mind, however it aparently has a water repellent coating as well just to up its effectiveness. You learn something new every day!
If thats the case then please accept my apologies,

But if not, you've been WAH'D ME OLD MATE!

they dont need reproofing just a good clean without detergent ;), if its less hasle and cheaper get some nikwax from millets £4 fill the bath with warm water and tip 2 cup fulls of that nikwax in with your jacket and let it soak for 1 hour take it out and dry and its good as new in the morning, good shit yea.

Does that also mean that next time you have a bath your skin won't go all wrinkly?

Evilgoblin said:
Does that also mean that next time you have a bath your skin won't go all wrinkly?
Depends if your trying to be economic with the bath water.

the waterproof part of your Gore tex is on the inside. It is a membrane. When it is knackered it is knackered. What is being topped up is the water repelent outer coating which is not, strictly, necessary.

Mr Happy

LE
there is different quality goretex and the thinner it is, the more likely you'll need the re-proof.

Speaking personally, if my gary g lasts that long I'll let you know, it is always either (a) walking off (b) tearing itself to shreds on something.

Dog-faced-soldier said:
the waterproof part of your Gore tex is on the inside. It is a membrane. When it is knackered it is knackered. What is being topped up is the water repelent outer coating which is not, strictly, necessary.
As I believed, I think the RAF may be sending our Army colleague for a long stand and tartan paint eh! :eek:

Dog-faced-soldier said:
While that is technically true, for goretex to operate as designed, ie to let moisture out, the surface of the garment has to be able to let the moisture through. If the surface lacks waterproofing then you end up with a layer of water aginst the membrane and this effictively blocks the transmission of the water molecules through.

From the manufacturers site.

“Wet out” can put a real damper on your day. That’s when liquid saturates your garment’s outer fabric, leaving you feeling damp and clammy as if your garment were leaking, even when it’s not.

To prevent wet out, all GORE-TEX® shell fabrics are treated with an ultra thin treatment called DWR, a durable water repellent polymer that is applied to the outermost fabric layer. DWR penetrates the fibres and lowers the surface tension of the fabric, causing water to bead up and roll off the outer layer of fabric, instead of being absorbed.

DWR is not permanent though. Regular wear and tear, plus exposure to dirt, detergents, insect repellent and other impurities can shorten its lifespan. The good news is that restoring the water repellency of your GORE-TEX® shell is extremely easy.
How to Restore Water Repellency

GORE-TEX® outerwear:
Just wash it, rinse it and put it in the dryer, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. The washing removes contaminants and the heat from the dryer helps redistribute the DWR treatment on the fabric surface.

If water fails to bead up on the surface of your cleaned and tumble dried garment, its DWR treatment has reached the end of its useful life. But don’t worry y ou can restore the garment’s water repellency by following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Gore-tex does indeed work on the principle of millions of small pores in the lining allowing water vapour through, but preventing liquid water from penetrating (in either direction). The jacket relies on the bodyheat of the wearer to provide the energy for this process, and to keep the direction of travel of moisture from the inside to outside.

It is desirable to have a water repellent outer surface (where the water 'beads' and drops off) rather than an outer layer which soaks up water. The reason for this is simple: if the outer layer is fully water-logged, while the Gore-tex will remain waterproof, its ability to allow water vapour to pass through is severly restricted (though will never be as bad as the old 'crisp packet' waterproofs). It is simply a matter of comfort to the wearer, as he will feel dryer and have lower humidity inside his jacket.

Ed to add: beaten to it by PE4.