Hate a building? Ask the Tories to knock it down

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Nov 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's called X-listing - the idea, popularised by a Channel 4 TV series, of not just preserving cherished buildings but demolishing hated ones. Now, if a Conservative think-tank gets its way, a future David Cameron government will ask the public to help name and shame hundreds of eyesores as a way of reinvigorating Britain's cities.

Candidates for destruction will also have to be uninhabited or unused, have 'a distressing and anti-social impact' and blight the local economy. More than 10,000 viewers responded to Channel 4's Demolition by singling out Britain's most hated buildings for hostile action.

in full

Any suggestions?

And no Warrior Poet 'all Mosques' does not count.

And Sven knocking down 'elitist' British Heritage Architecture and replacing it with New Labour approved sixties style utility 'peoples' buildings does not count either.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I think we have far too protectionist attitude when it comes to buildings in the UK. Too often monstrocities are protected for the spurious reasons simply that "the building is old" or the seminal work of some never heard of architect who died unrecognised for his genius.

If buildings have utility I don't have a problem with them staying up but not just for the sake of it. We have tied ourselves in knots in every city in the country, meaning that if there is to be development it costs an absolute fortune, so helping again to keep up property and land prices.

We Brits are justifiably proud of our history and heritage but it would be good to have a more forward looking attitude.
  3. Anything which destroys the 60's monstrosity built into Smithfeild Market EC1, be it the Tories or AQ is fine by me.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. sheldrake

sheldrake RIP

GLC building. Not too sure what's in there now but it's still fcuking ugly!

I know! :idea: Can I put some people in it before they blow it up? :twisted:

What about, let's say, the whole of the Parliamentary Labour Party? (Less Diane Abbott, because she is amusing on This Week). :wink:

and the whole of the Westgate area in Oxford - yes that's right, the one that Fatty Two Jags wouldn't allow to be regenerated. Perhaps he feels an affinity with the area - old, shabby, good for slappers and smells of p155.