Haslet

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Boozy, Jan 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently had some Pork Haslet for the first time from a deli and loved it. I brought some home for my family and they loved it too but none of us had even heard of it before.

Apparently it's an English thing which is probably why I've never come across it, but I'd like to try and make some of my own.

Google throws up a few recipes but not many and they all seem different - some just seem to use pork mince and bread/sage while others contain things like liver.

Do any of you English types happen to have any decent recipes for this?

2. My nan always used to chuck it on with a fry up.

Nice on a butty too.

3. It is basically a pork meatloaf and there are recipes all over the place. You say you bought yours from a deli - was it one of the major supermarkets by any chance? I personally love it and the best (IMHO) is from Sainsbury's deli. No doubt there will be shed loads of superior versions around, but you get what you pay for! It is probably the cheapest cut of meat you will get from the deli and one of the most flavoursome. Some of the so-called "on-the-bone", carved hams etc taste like water in comparison.

Editted to add: Any decent meatloaf will contain additions to the main meat, such as bacon and offal, to add texture and flavour.

4. No recipies Boozy, I remember my Mam used to have it in the early 60's, she loved it!
    She once asked me to bring her a quarter of Savoury Duck, I'd no idea what this was
    and when the Butcher handed me such a small parcel I said "I didn't think that Ducks
    were that small"......you live and learn!

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The Hundlebys: Haslet: a recipe best that I can come up with Boozy, but Lincolnshire's is reknowned for its pork recipes so that's probably a good place to start.

6. Take 2 slices of bread and some red sauce.

The only good thing about haslet is that it isn't )quite) spam, my parents seemed to think it funny to watch me wretch as I was force fed spam, so anything that wasn't spam was welcomed!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I love Haslet, I also like Chitterlings with plenty of vinegar & black pepper.

8. that's the one... I couldn't stop eating it. Very moreish!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Haslet, like brawn is one of those British deli items that has been effectively ousted by continental cold cuts. If Jamie Oliver promoted them he could atone for some of his pretentiousness.

The grass is always greener on the other side; sauteed boudin noir, a delicacy fit for kings. Boiled black pudding, split lengthways with mustard in the split? Oh no that's vile UK rubbish.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Haslet - best of all served on toast, smear of butter, dash of brown sauce

ferking lovely!

11. Use the basic ratio of 8oz fresh breadcrumb to 2lb pork. You can also use wetted rusk of the same weight, buy the rusk dry from somewhere like Weschenfelder and hydrate it with cider or beer. If you want to intensify the meat flavour without chemicals (bought Haslet has MSG and too much salt), add some highly concentrated chicken stock.

Then you can add what flavourings you like, sage and onion, tarragon, chopped mushroom, what you like. I usually add white pepper, a bit of thyme, some mace and a bit of salt.

Bake in a bain-marie until it's 80C in the centre.

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Must go to the Co tommorow & see if they have any..haven't had Haslet for years.Mom gave it to me in my school lunch,either that or the pink pork type stuff with stuffing in the middle...

13. Asda sell it in the deli section.

• Like Like x 1