Has the US Navy gone barking mad?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by DavidBOC, Mar 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Extended Range Guided Munitions program cancelled

They spent $600 million on a system that can put out 5 inch rounds with about 50 pounds of explosive at a rate of 10-16 rpm. Each round costs nearly $200k.

Meanwhile they decommissioned all the Iowa class ships that can throw 34,000 pounds of ordinance per minute 28 miles at a similar degree of accuracy. They also had plenty of ordinance in storage.

The US Navy has gone barking mad.
  2. Looks like they have been taking procurement lessons off the British.
  3. I'm confused. Which part of the story is supposed to be barking mad? As faras I can tell, they've given up on sinking money into an idea which both they and the manufacturer have said doesn't work.

Sounds like someone has actually got an attack of common sense if you ask me.
  4. The rail gun tests are going pretty well and the USN may feel that is a better use of funds.
  5. Perhaps....

Or... they cut that program to pay for one we haven't heard of?
  6. Crabtastic:

Sorry to be confusing, what I meant is that $600mil on that progran that seemes to me to provide little bang for the buck and the progran started when they were decommisioning the Iowa's which were bought and paid for years before and provided a lot more firepower. I'm glad they stopped the program, just think they should not have started it.
    After thought, the heading should have been "Formerly Barking Mad Navy finally comes to senses"
  7. Moral of the story is dont throw away the old kit until you have the new kit.
  8. Our Navy is no better, we scrapped the Sea Harrier a few years ago which means that we no have carreri based fighter until the CVF/JSF combo comes into play in several more years time!

But we are also scrapping the Type 42 destroyers years before their replacements are ready...

In comparison the USN is very wise.
  9. The four Iowa Class BBs were getting a bit expensive to run though weren't they?

They were old.

And then there was that one that got overrun by terrorists, at the end of her career.
  10. Also the USN has vast numbers of Tommahawk missiles and vast numbers of carrier based aircraft as well, whereas we have a few Tommahawks and a handful of 2nd rate carreri aircraft (with no air defence capability!!).