Has the UK Government learnt anything from Iraq? Déjà vie...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, Nov 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interested on the wider readership's take on the following.

This evening, Channel 4 News led with a report from Nick Paton-Walsh in Afghanistan relating to locally employed interpreters.

Unlike those on TELIC, I can't comment from personal involvement, but on the face of it, Nick's report does seem to have several parallels to the situation facing those in Iraq.

And for the "all journos are *******" brigade, simmer down. I, and others noted througout the years of getting the UK Government to adopt policies that acknowledged the risk to Iraqis employed by HMG, that Channel 4's coverage was well researched, and in particular Nick Paton-Walsh was scrupulous in ensuring that his reports were accurate.

So, have we learnt and applied the lessons of the TELIC experience where local nationals are involved, or are we about to witness a classic military Déjà vie?

2. Having seen what happened in Iraq, it doesn't surprise me one bit. It's details like this that would make it hard for me to re-join if I was offered the chance.

3. First question,NO :twisted:
    " reply It would not at this point in time be hard to say no :wink:

4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Utterly shaming.

All I can say is that it is a pity the reporter did not name names: It can't have been difficult to find the unit he was with, who hired him, and what his contract said. I am reminded of Stephen Grey's piece (posted on ARRSE) stating the promise, once a Helmand town had been retaken, that the mosque, destroyed in an air strike, would be rebuilt. Two years later, work has not even started.

If this is the way our country keeps its promises, we won't win - and won't deserve to.

5. Hello all - sorry for random post but we are doing a piece on Afghans working for the UK in Afghanistan as interpreters... anyone able to comment on their experiences, particularly when it comes to the aftercare given to interpreters injured in the field... we've heard some pretty harrowing stories.
    you can reach me on nick dot walsh at i t n dot co dot uk
    thanks

6. Hello all - Nick PAton Walsh from Channel Four NEws - sorry for random post but we are doing another piece on Afghans working for the UK in Afghanistan as interpreters... anyone able to comment on their experiences, particularly when it comes to the aftercare given to interpreters injured in the field... in Helmand
    we've heard some pretty harrowing stories.
    you can reach me on nick dot walsh at i t n dot co dot uk
    thanks

7. And before people start giving it the "feck off journo" - perhaps worth reminding readers that Nick is the journalist from Channel 4 News who broke the plight of Iraqi translators and interpreters to British viewers, that eventually led to the launch of the LEC Scheme.

Can reassure all that Nick is very professional. Please assist him as much as DIN's and your experience can.

AB

8. IIRC DIN's are not to be released without authority... And contact with the media is always frowned upon.

And no im not giving it "feck off journo" just a hint of information security

9. I think that this particular DIN has been officially released for public information, in which case it would not be a breach to mention it here.

10. The answer to the thread title is:

NO.

This government does not do 'learning'. No need. Brown knows everything and Mr. Mandelson is super-human.