Has the Sky fallen in on Murdoch?

Strikes me Murdoch is cashing in, selling stuff to Disney and in this case making a pile from the Comcast bid so in answer to your headline, no.
Will the service get better or worse, who knows.

Still owns 30+%, still mega wealthy, looks to be cashing in at a good price, cash in the bank to diversify or invest.

This has been a weird deal for sure.

Comcast wanted to buy Fox in the U.S., but got beaten by Disney who now own Fox.
Both Comcast and Fox (i.e. Disney) wanted to buy Sky (which is 40% owned by Fox), Comcast "wins." But Fox still has 40%, which is major. Who knows if they will let go of this share. Either way, Fox gets the money. Which means Murdoch gets the money.

Personally I hope he lives long enough to set his empire onto anyone who may or may not have been inappropriate with any of his wives.

I doubt even a Teflon coated politician could survive that kind of attention:cool:

Both scenarios would be difficult.
I dunno, Comcast has a reputation for being a truly horrible company, if anyone could be worse than Dirty Digger Enterprises it's probably them. As has been pointed out elsewhere they're going to have a lot of debt hanging off Sky so I reckon cuts and price hikes may be in order.
One thing that might not auger well is how this sort of takeover intersects with Brexit, Comcast has a history of sharp practice and monopoly building in the US coupled with a willingness to buy politicians (see the whole FCC debacle). It slightly worries me that some Brexit cheerleaders like that arrse Liam Fox are also ardent deregulators and known to be "open to influence". I can see a situation where without the dead weight of the EU they manage to roll-back some of the regulation that keeps the UK comms and media industry relatively competitive in a way that benefits megacorps like Comcast - it's not unprecedented, Fox has already proposed changes to food standards regulations that would allow the Yanks to dump some of their nastier agricultural products on us like lot-reared beef and chlorine chicken.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I dunno, Comcast has a reputation for being a truly horrible company, if anyone could be worse than Dirty Digger Enterprises it's probably them. As has been pointed out elsewhere they're going to have a lot of debt hanging off Sky so I reckon cuts and price hikes may be in order.
One thing that might not auger well is how this sort of takeover intersects with Brexit, Comcast has a history of sharp practice and monopoly building in the US coupled with a willingness to buy politicians (see the whole FCC debacle). It slightly worries me that some Brexit cheerleaders like that arrse Liam Fox are also ardent deregulators and known to be "open to influence". I can see a situation where without the dead weight of the EU they manage to roll-back some of the regulation that keeps the UK comms and media industry relatively competitive in a way that benefits megacorps like Comcast - it's not unprecedented, Fox has already proposed changes to food standards regulations that would allow the Yanks to dump some of their nastier agricultural products on us like lot-reared beef and chlorine chicken.
You make that sound as though the UK is a corrupt third world style country while the EU are the epitome of truth and integrity!

I think you need to relook at your perception of the two entities.

You make that sound as though the UK is a corrupt third world style country while the EU are the epitome of truth and integrity!

I think you need to relook at your perception of the two entities.
Not really, I do think that the EU adds a layer of bureaucratic inertia that slows down politicians who have big ideas though. It is corrupt but it's corrupt in a different way from how certain Tories would like it to be.
There are some dodgy politicians on the right of the Tories (Fox is one of them) who wish we could be more like America and one of the obvious things about the US is that political corruption is endemic and overt.

Murdoch loses Sky to Comcast

Comcast outbids Rupert Murdoch’s Fox to win control of Sky

Will Sky TV become more Americanised and even worse than it is now?
Hopefully. Comcast are a dreadful company. The sooner they go bust through financial over-commitment, dire network and even worse customer service, the better. The baggage of $40bn acquisition will hopefully drag them down the shitter. Pissed off Europeans regulating the shit out of them will hopefully be a continual thorn in their side.

I don't much like Comcast :)

Hopefully. Comcast are a dreadful company. The sooner they go bust through financial over-commitment, dire network and even worse customer service, the better. The baggage of $40bn acquisition will hopefully drag them down the shitter. Pissed off Europeans regulating the shit out of them will hopefully be a continual thorn in their side.

I don't much like Comcast :)
Does anybody (who isn't getting a big fat cheque off them)?