Has the officer entry requirements changed?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Dammj, Nov 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

I'm not to sure how valid this information is, but I'm sure someone will be able to answer it for me.
    I have a friend who has just finished their phase 1 and has been working in their local AFCO for two weeks.

Apprently the grade entry requirments have changed to apply to be an officer.
    I'm under the impression that you need 2 A-Levels giving you 180 UCAS points.

But my friend found out that apprently now they have changed it. According to her you now need 3 A levels at grade A and two of them subjects has to be English and Maths.
    Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks.

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I think there is a confusion here between A levels and GCSEs. I'm not aware of any recent change in the educational requirements for officer training, but even if there had been, I'm sure it wouldn't require English and Maths at grade A at A level.

3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

You may find that passing your English Language GCSE is difficult. That is if grammar is still examined - but perhaps correct grammar is now frowned on as 'elitist'.

• Like Like x 5
  4. If you needed 3 A grades at A level to be an officer, we would not get many qualified applicants. Having said that, in order to stand a decent chance, you would need to exceed, rather than just meet, the basic academic requirements. I understand that it is now all based on UCAS points, but (unless it has changed radically since my day) most applicants had about 6 or more GCSEs of A-C grade (of which one had to be Maths and another English) and 3 or more A Levels (generally grades A-D/E), in addition most had an Hons degrees and those who did not would certainly have had the academic ability to get one. A small minority even had masters degrees, as I recall.

5. I believe that the English language is now not examined at all on is basic foundations of the construction of the language; Especially given such criminal acts as this (despite being an old article, I believe it was being considered to be adopted.)