Has the Infantry lost the plot, or are the Old and Bold just old

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
How so? Also, what aspersions does that cast on all those regulars who have got PTSD over the years?

How so? One can reasonably expect those who are more resilient and actively seek to put themselves in harm's way to be less prone to PTSD than those put in the same position from a random sample. It doesn't make those individuals immune from PTSD.

It doesn't cast any aspersions, it's simply an inconvenient fact for those who think as you do.

Dredd

LE
Get with modern times. :)

Young soldiers have to treat everyone with respect............
Except those they are told to kill.

They have to treat all races, genders or religions the same.......

They are taught not to say or do offensive things to others..........

The army are keen to emphasise that everyone is equal..................

.............. once they are dead.

How so? One can reasonably expect those who are more resilient and actively seek to put themselves in harm's way to be less prone to PTSD than those put in the same position from a random sample. It doesn't make those individuals immune from PTSD.

It doesn't cast any aspersions, it's simply an inconvenient fact for those who think as you do.
How do I think?

And if you claim it a fact, could you perhaps post some evidence that those who join the army are less prone to PTSD than the general population. And how the current generation would cope worse at Passchendale than the one that fought there.

Last edited:
Now you've made your cheap gallery point, talk us through how you believe that the current 18-30 male element of the population would cope with Passchendaele.

The extrapolated outcome of all this is that on the final assault you fix feathers, throw a laughing gas grenade, rush in and tickle them into surrender.
No cute puppy dogs? Evil man

Dwarf

LE
You mention the Roman Empire - tbh I think we're at the stage where western civilisation is at the cusp of falling a la empire - may not happen overnight, but we're rotting from within, and other powers will eclipse us due to our own inability to see the decay that is happening to our society.
You could make a case that the Foreign Aid Budget is part; an ego trip for politicians and its supporters who are happy to pick the pocket of UK Tax Payers to give the money away, for them to feel good about themselves. And, part Danegeld.. To pay to keep most of the barbarians away from the door.

As for the army recruitment, the young are simply a lot more immature and lacking in mental toughness and 'aggression' to some may well be a joke, I suppose the SAS will have to change its unofficial motto and become the SDS: the Speed, Diversity, Surprise.

EddieVDog

Clanker
You could make a case that the Foreign Aid Budget is part; an ego trip for politicians and its supporters who are happy to pick the pocket of UK Tax Payers to give the money away, for them to feel good about themselves. And, part Danegeld.. To pay to keep most of the barbarians away from the door.

As for the army recruitment, the young are simply a lot more immature and lacking in mental toughness and 'aggression' to some may well be a joke, I suppose the SAS will have to change its unofficial motto and become the SDS: the Speed, Diversity, Surprise.
I work in a rather large and well known University and can say that the general mental resilience and ability to cope with pressure gets,weaker and weaker every year. Therapy puppy days? Bouncy castles? God forbid you have to say the dreaded 'no' word to any of them or suggest that their behaviour is less than perfect.......floods of tears and much wailing and gnashing of teeth about 'mental health' ensues and errant staff member gets investigated and disciplined

I work in a rather large and well known University and can say that the general mental resilience and ability to cope with pressure gets,weaker and weaker every year. Therapy puppy days? Bouncy castles? God forbid you have to say the dreaded 'no' word to any of them or suggest that their behaviour is less than perfect.......floods of tears and much wailing and gnashing of teeth about 'mental health' ensues and errant staff member gets investigated and disciplined
The 'prizes for everyone' situation is coming home to roost, sadly

Children stay children longer than they're used to be and the education system and social media has filled them full of rights, that are now birth rights and no longer have to be earned as in the past. Fine if your wealthy and can buy your way through bad choices; but its terminal for a poor kid to believe they're are entitled to anything in the real world and act accordingly.

That equates directly to our military, which still follows the ideas of the past and the military exists as an Officers Union and the other ranks are simply material. By going woke you in effect set out to create a less disciplined body of men and less of an aggressive team and more a collection of individuals.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Who cares whines.

Latest Threads