Has the Infantry lost the plot, or are the Old and Bold just old

Dwarf

LE
Sorry but certain things shouldn’t change, just to attract potential infantry recruits.
Dropping the ranks of Rifleman or Kingsman to what Private?
As far as I’m concerned, a lot of what makes our forces is Tradition. I do realise we have to move on, but surely for certain units male or female if you really want to join that Regt you should accept the units traditions. If the person joining the King’s for arguments sake is any good they won’t stay a Kingsman for long.

I think you are supposed to mix the colours to get the.............. errrrr............................ rarer blends
A bit like plasticine when you were a kid.

Start the day with bold, vibrant colours and after 30 minutes you end up with a lump of brownish stuff with hair and assorted bits stuck in it.

Sorry but certain things shouldn’t change, just to attract potential infantry recruits.
Dropping the ranks of Rifleman or Kingsman to what Private?
As far as I’m concerned, a lot of what makes our forces is Tradition. I do realise we have to move on, but surely for certain units male or female if you really want to join that Regt you should accept the units traditions. If the person joining the King’s for arguments sake is any good they won’t stay a Kingsman for long.
Kingsman is a much bigger problem and will have the new powers that be in melt-down. Kingsperson? Personperson? What about The Persons Dragoon Guards? Where does it end?

Now I’m in a real state. Look what’s happening to statues of people with historic links to slavery? What about regiments whose names have historic links to sexism? Do we strike them from the history books?

where will it end?

Kingsman is a much bigger problem and will have the new powers that be in melt-down. Kingsperson? Personperson? What about The Persons Dragoon Guards? Where does it end?

Guards sounds a bit miltary that would be a micro aggression now, perhaps The Persons Dragoon Yellowcoats

Hi Di Hi!

Guards sounds a bit miltary that would be a micro aggression now, perhaps The Persons Dragoon Yellowcoats

Hi Di Hi!
Household cavalry has connotations of wimmin in the kitchen.

Shared Parental Responsibility Cavalry however smacks of inclusivity and equality

I recall, with a certain affection, many of the acronym's used during Op Banner which were mostly non-sexist back in the day - so one could argue that the old and bold were the pioneers of woke-speak. I give you a few for example..................the sting, however, is in the tail:

FELIX
TOPCAT
RUCKSACK
HAWKEYE
SUNRAY (not only a 'Banner thing', but hey!)
SUNRAY MINOR (admittedly a bit 'ageist')
ACORN
NISUN
SEAGULL

There were of course, many others, but the most ingenious non-sexist one had to be that applied to the ladies of the WRAC
I give you ...............................COFFEE POT
Not acronyms - appointment titles.

I didn’t know the British infantry occupied the Cavalry Barracks at Fort Laramie.
1ED15AAE-3C37-4E49-884B-D96F8A4A0DDF.jpeg
2E9B4307-1BB4-486B-9505-FD0F863CB3FA.jpeg

A few battalions of aggressive poofters would be more deterrent than Trident and a darn sight cheaper.

You see some guys in the distance pepper potting towards you. Your int has told you the 1st Raging Queens are in the area and their reputation goes before them.
You either pop smoke and **** off or stay and fight and get bummed to pieces.
Let's face it, some will stay.
The rest will tell stories of their mates getting thrown around like a dog toy and hearing the screams.
We could then send Johnny Gurkha back to Greece or wherever they're from.

Not acronyms - appointment titles.
Correct..................so I would have to describe Felix as an ATO to get my acronym.............but hey, its late, i'm tired, getting older, my dog wants walkies, my spouse wants to got to bed and turn the light off and I am, thus, a little diverted from the finer points of grammatic convention. :(

One thing I have realised over the years is that it’s not for our benefit, it’s for the young’uns.

You would be surprised how many young 'uns dont give a ****.

Ive written before about the time when the Army flew the pride flag nation wide, a Lesbian Cpl was asked to pose for a photo under the flag for a PR shot and she refused, which seem to catch the CoC off guard. Clearly she should have been grateful to the army...

Similar thing when I had (young) BAME soldiers, they all wanted to refuse BAME meetings with the brigadier/colonel.

Generally these things have little to do with the young uns and more to do with someone wanting to make a name for themselves.

You would be surprised how many young 'uns dont give a ****.

Ive written before about the time when the Army flew the pride flag nation wide, a Lesbian Cpl was asked to pose for a photo under the flag for a PR shot and she refused, which seem to catch the CoC off guard. Clearly she should have been grateful to the army...

Similar thing when I had (young) BAME soldiers, they all wanted to refuse BAME meetings with the brigadier/colonel.

Generally these things have little to do with the young uns and more to do with someone wanting to make a name for themselves.
I can’t fault your logic, much SM engagement is virtue signalling (esp on twitter to their 2RO). And I think a lot of it is to silence our critics who love tho throw the army is an ‘ist’

And you’re right again; the current (and last) generation of juniors really don’t give a shit about who you shag. But these people have made it through Ph1 & 2, they understand that you’re judged on ability and being a team player.

The army is out the news again, Royal Wooten Bassett and Helmand are fading/faded from the national consciousness, especially the younger generation who were very small children at the height of HERRICK/TELIC. It’s all back to stereotypes and what their mates say on SM as to how they judge things. For a young gay man or woman just leaving school they do still look at the army in a certain light, hence the latest recruiting campaigns being the way they were. If it means a quality individual who didn’t think the army was for them clicks on the link, sees it and visits an AFCO then it’s done it’s job.

However, we’re both old enough to remember when gays were allowed to join, and the piss taking and comments that went along with it. The comments that pervade the Instagram pages (where i think the argument came from), show that our generation still hasn’t grasped what it’s about, and the comments show that even twenty years on the flag is needed.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
anyone suggested that Yeomanperson warders shouldn't be nicknamed Beefeaters to avoid upsetting Vegans?

I can’t fault your logic, much SM engagement is virtue signalling (esp on twitter to their 2RO). And I think a lot of it is to silence our critics who love tho throw the army is an ‘ist’

And you’re right again; the current (and last) generation of juniors really don’t give a shit about who you shag. But these people have made it through Ph1 & 2, they understand that you’re judged on ability and being a team player.

The army is out the news again, Royal Wooten Bassett and Helmand are fading/faded from the national consciousness, especially the younger generation who were very small children at the height of HERRICK/TELIC. It’s all back to stereotypes and what their mates say on SM as to how they judge things. For a young gay man or woman just leaving school they do still look at the army in a certain light, hence the latest recruiting campaigns being the way they were. If it means a quality individual who didn’t think the army was for them clicks on the link, sees it and visits an AFCO then it’s done it’s job.

However, we’re both old enough to remember when gays were allowed to join, and the piss taking and comments that went along with it. The comments that pervade the Instagram pages (where i think the argument came from), show that our generation still hasn’t grasped what it’s about, and the comments show that even twenty years on the flag is needed.

I didnt say the the current generation of juniors dont care about who you shag, there are plenty of youngsters who dont like gays, some of commonwealth soldiers views are on par with the KKK after a black man raped a child in rural Alabama
What I meant was the current generation (gay or otherwise) dont care about a pride flag on an army site, there was a meme going around a few months ago that said something along the lines of "Big businesses will have to make the difficult decision between supporting BLM or Pride month". Both gays and blacks knew these firms are just going through the motions.
Id say young gays wanting to join the army think the same when they see a pride flag, in the case of lesbians, a lot of them with ask serving lesbians their opinions via facebook, rather than rely on the army (which has been known to tell porkies when it comes to recruitment.

The army seem to think that gay people are only interested in gay stuff, never mind the piss poor food, shit accommodation, bullshit rules, pointless exercises etc etc, the Army has a pride flag...
Running around looking ally as ****, shooting your rifle, windsurfing with Frank, shagging all the civvies who love a man/woman in uniform? Oh, you are gay? Forget that then, look we have a pride flag.

I cant speak for gay blokes, because I didnt know any in my previous units but the majority of lesbians (including the young ones) thought the military way of showing how inclusive it is by holding up gays as something special was pretty stupid.

Latest Threads