Has the age limit been raised?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by RHQ Rug-rat, Dec 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard a rumour from the rumour mill that the upper age limit has been raised for certain capbadges - can anyone confirm or deny this.

I have a friend who has quelled all his green career ambitions up to this point but now regrets it (I did give him a fcuking huge " I told you so " ) but also said I'd try to find out - it's cheaper than a Christmas present.

Cheers,

RRR

2. The upper age limit has now been changed to 33 as per Army Information Note 129/06:

ARMY INFORMATION NOTE
    ARMY INFORMATION NOTES CONTAIN INFORMATION WHICH WILL BE RELEVANT
    TO SOME PERSONNEL, SERVICE OR CIVILIAN. THEY SHOULD BE DISSEMINATED
    AT COMMANDERS’ DISCRETION
    Serial No: I29/06 Source: DM(A)
    Date: 6 Dec 06 Released by: Def PR(A)
    CHANGE TO THE MAXIMUM AGE ON ENLISTMENT TO THE REGULAR ARMY
    ISSUE

The maximum age for enlistment, onto the Open Engagement, is now 33 years of age for all
    Arms and Services.
    KEY POINTS
    • The maximum age limit for enlistment has been raised to 33 years of age.
    • The exception to this policy change will be CAMUS who will retain the maximum limit of
    36.11 years.
    BACKGROUND
    Current policy regarding the maximum age for enlistment to the Regular Army varies, at the
    discretion of individual A&SDs1. With the introduction of age legislation and the drive to
    seek greater uniformity across the 3 Services, a review of Army policy has been conducted.
    There is a lack of convincing evidence to support a case to continue with current differences
    in policy, more especially in light of Royal Marines policy which allows entry up to 33 years
    of age, and there is little confidence that current restrictions are either sensible or helpful in
    manning the Army.
    At the Manning Green Line meeting held in Oct 06, the decision was taken to raise the maximum age limit for enlistment to 33 years of age. Supported by HQ DINF, the Arm that For the majority, maximum ages range from 26.11 in the case of Inf to 33 in the case of certain AMS CEGs.
    Exceptionally CAMUS have a limit of 36.11 years. MPGS limit is 50 but they are employed on different ToS. might reasonably be expected to require the most exacting age criteria, it is logical to apply
    a common standard to all. The exception to this policy change will be CAMUS who will retain the maximum limit of 36.11 years.
    This policy change also affects those individuals that wish to re-join the Colours:
    • Re-Enlistment2. This age limit applies to re-enlistments. Those wishing to re-enlist
    and are over the age of 33, may at the discretion of A&SDs, be offered a Type S
    Engagement that does not take their service beyond the normal retirement age of 55.
    • Re-Entry from the Regular Army Reserve3. This age limit does not apply to those
    who re-enter from the Regular Army Reserve who are to be treated in accordance
    with the conditions laid down in QRs 9.113.
    2 Those that wish to rejoin the Colours but who are not on the Regular Reserve. Normally those that failed to
    complete initial training or had previous service on an S Type.
    3 Commonly known as re-joiners.

HOPE THIS IS OF HELP.

3. Does this increase in the age limit effect the upper age limit for entry to Sandhurst?

4. Already covered here.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=53005.html

5. 'fraid not old chum.

6. I've already heard how this came about, what I cannot understand is why. After all, back in '98 (I stand to be corrected) the upper age limit for entry to Sandhurst was raised from 25 to 29 (that's how I got a crack at the RCB Main Board, passing - at the second attempt - aged 28 ), so I am wondering how another increase has apparently been ruled out.

7. I notice from the official Army website that the upper age limit for admission to the RMAS has apparently been lowered to 28.

8. WOW....the age limit for the U.S. Army is 42.