Has MrTracey lost his mojo?

I know that TA mojo does come and go, but MrT really seems to have lost his over the last few days :(

MrT: how can we restore it?

msr

Send him to see Charlotte in Edinburgh, only charges £5 for a dance mid week. Shes done wonders for the moral of my unit .......

sorry

The_Duke

LE
polar said:
Send him to see Charlotte in Edinburgh, only charges £5 for a dance mid week. Shes done wonders for the moral of my unit .......

sorry
Morale, possibly. Moral? Doubtful! :D

Edited to add: I never actually noticed any mojo from Mr T, merely complaints. Perhaps I missed his positive, go getting, morale boosing opinions about what was good in the TA (Post cold war).

Oops, have I stumbled across a WRVS meeting?

Sorry chaps, do I sound a little downhearted, sceptical even?

I don't mean to be, it's just that I have a nasty habit of looking ahead - you know the sort of thing, imagining what this great institution of ours might be like in 5 years time if we carry on as we are.

Let's face it, the TA isn't what it was. I can hear the howls of derision already but hear me out. I'm not saying it's bad now, just different. Now, I also appreciate that we have been 'round this tree before, and I don't intend to start another 'I think I want to be diffrerent' debate as we've done that to death.

However, purely objectively, I don't get a warm feeling when I look at what's going on. Our role has changed significantly, and so has the structure of our contribution and indeed, the manner in which we now behave.

In the first 15 years of my TA 'career', I always looked forward to the future with optimism - bouyed up by the obvious enjoyment of the broad TA experience in those around me. Now, I just dread the next reorganisation, round of cuts, naive regular impositions, or watching the organisation I love (and have made a significant commitment to) being seen as little more than a short term expedient to deliver IRs. It is much more than that but is in danger of losing the very essence that holds it together or indeed, makes it so special.

We and the Army should rejoice in the fact that the TA is different, special, unique, and has until now, been self supporting. This is eroded almost daily and often because the TA itself hasn't had the balls to say 'No', or perhaps more importantly, 'there's a better way of doing it and here's a TA solution'....

In my view we are being taken for granted. Like many things in life, if they're taken for granted, they lose their sparkle and ultimately become unimportant when their utility or value diminshes. At this point, such things are usually dumped as they become a burden rather than a benefit.

My Mojo hasn't gone, but my optimism has. The TA needs to retain it's ability to function separately from the regular Army as many of the latter pay little more than lip service, even after the contribution we have made on Ops - I know, I meet them all the time. Come the day, when our contribution isn't quite so vital to fill the gaps, the dilution of the system and structure of the TA, the erosion of the ethos that binds it together and the holes that are already appearing in the TA CofC will consign us to an ignominious end. The TA CofC is like the Arctic - holes appearing everywhere.

That said, I had a right royal piss-up last week, have another next week and will be out at the weekend with some young turks who are full of optimism and energy, so all is not lost.

What we actually need, and the point of my tongue in cheek queries about TA hierarchy, is a voice. We need a 'champion' to stand up and be counted, rally the cause, drag us into the 21st century, restore some pride, accentuate the 'difference' that makes us so unique, and really pick this thing up and run.....I just can't see who that's all.

We also need to focus on what the TA should be like NOW and into the future. Why do people join?, how do we keep them, what are the benefits of membership, how big should it be, what should it look like and how should it deliver value?

Is it time for a drains-up review, a wholesale re-think about Corps, roles, effects, and structure? What exactly are we here to do, for whom and how? Perhaps the whole structure is wrong, and maybe there's a cleaner, better, more enjoyable, less cumbersome, and fun way to deliver utility in a crowded modern existence that doesn't need everyone to be a balls-out warrior?

I think that the immediate challenge is to define our purpose. This will be a mix of reinforcing the regulars, AiS, and gaining new skills/experiences/friends. To do that everyone needs a basic grounding in Mil Skills, some STA Skills thrown in (generic, not specific), with proper benefits (pay, dental etc), all supported by a simple but effective ethical and legal framework. We should then do fun/challenging/life expanding training, combined with a healthy social life and lots of AT. Stuff MATTs, and just keep the fitness thing in perspective. Life is for living.

Pah!

I should point out that I have a great job in the TA and enjoy every minute.

I'd have dog shit Morale if I lived in Sweaty Sock land too.

Mr Tracey: That post was far too long winded and I couldn't be arrsed to read it. Have you got an exectutive summary?

StabTiffy2B said:
I'd have dog shit Morale if I lived in Sweaty Sock land too.

Mr Tracey: That post was far too long winded and I couldn't be arrsed to read it. Have you got an exectutive summary?
LUDO - Look Up and Drive On

Champion the Wonder Horse

They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Buzz Lightyear - to infinity and Beyond.

OK?

The_Duke said:
polar said:

sorry

Edited to add: I never actually noticed any mojo from Mr T, merely complaints. Perhaps I missed his positive, go getting, morale boosing opinions about what was good in the TA (Post cold war).
Wish I could go morale boosing? Is that drinking beer and smiling :D Freudian slip methinks!!

The_Duke

LE
MrTracey said:

( Blah, Blah, rest of the post that I actually wholeheartedly agree with, but would hate to admit to as it would prevent Mr T and me continuing our spat :D )

We should then do fun/challenging/life expanding training, combined with a healthy social life and lots of AT. Stuff MATTs, and just keep the fitness thing in perspective. Life is for living.
But....as long as we wish to be considered "one army", the last part is not possible for us for as long as it is not possible for our regular counterparts

The_Duke

LE
johnnypaveway said:
The_Duke said:
polar said:

sorry

Wish I could go morale boosing? Is that drinking beer and smiling :D Freudian slip methinks!!
Feck off :D

The_Duke said:
But....as long as we wish to be considered "one army", the last part is not possible for us for as long as it is not possible for our regular counterparts
But I bet they only do the majority once a year (if that)

The_Duke said:
MrTracey said:

( Blah, Blah, rest of the post that I actually wholeheartedly agree with, but would hate to admit to as it would prevent Mr T and me continuing our spat :D )

We should then do fun/challenging/life expanding training, combined with a healthy social life and lots of AT. Stuff MATTs, and just keep the fitness thing in perspective. Life is for living.
Ah Ha - but there lies one of the key underlining, pivotal and potentially key 64,000 dollar questions...do we want to be 'one Army'?

The answer to that would define our future once and for all.

The_Duke

LE
polar said:
The_Duke said:
But I bet they only do the majority once a year (if that)
Sorry, lost me on that one. Care to clarify?

^I think so far I've had the oppurtunity to do CBRN, Map read etc several times, I'd be suprised if regulars had to run MATTs so frequently

I've even heard some (Blandford instructors) call the CFT - the annual CFT

The_Duke

LE
MrTracey said:
The_Duke said:
MrTracey said:

Ah Ha - but there lies one of the key underlining, pivotal and potentially key 64,000 dollar questions...do we want to be 'one Army'?

You takes your choice on that one.

Strictly one army? Same standards of training (and training budget), same pay, same pension....and same liability for 6 month tours every 24 months (or less).

Two separate armies? Differing standards of training (and different budgets), reduced pay, no pension... tours entirely at soldiers choice.

It is hard to argue for the best of the one army bits, ie training, budgets and pensions etc whilst hanging on to the best bits of the 2 army system - lower training standards and entirely voluntary mobilisation.

One route leads to the US national guard, the other to the home guard.

For my money, the future lies somewhere in the middle, and compromise is rarely the ideal solution.

The_Duke

LE
polar said:
^I think so far I've had the oppurtunity to do CBRN, Map read etc several times, I'd be suprised if regulars had to run MATTs so frequently

I've even heard some (Blandford instructors) call the CFT - the annual CFT
The difference being that the regular soldiers will have to attend their MATTs training or catch up in a subsequent wash up programme.

The TA can chose, and so you have to run everything several times to allow them to earn their bounty.

Trust me, I would love to only plan and run 1 MATT weekend per year, but I doubt that those soldiers who lost £1500 because they had to be at work that weekend would thank me for it.

The_Duke said:
MrTracey said:
The_Duke said:
MrTracey said:

You takes your choice on that one.

Strictly one army? Same standards of training (and training budget), same pay, same pension....and same liability for 6 month tours every 24 months (or less).

Two separate armies? Differing standards of training (and different budgets), reduced pay, no pension... tours entirely at soldiers choice.

It is hard to argue for the best of the one army bits, ie training, budgets and pensions etc whilst hanging on to the best bits of the 2 army system - lower training standards and entirely voluntary mobilisation.

One route leads to the US national guard, the other to the home guard.

For my money, the future lies somewhere in the middle, and compromise is rarely the ideal solution.
perhaps - 'compromise' seems to be the end result in almost everything these days, but my aspiration would be to accept the reality that we won't achieve parity in all aspects of reward whilst re-working our commitment and contribution to reflect that whilst delivering something of value - may be the Holy Grail?

I have a horrible feeling we're agreeing here.

The_Duke said:
The TA can chose, and so you have to run everything several times to allow them to earn their bounty.

Trust me, I would love to only plan and run 1 MATT weekend per year, but I doubt that those soldiers who lost £1500 because they had to be at work that weekend would thank me for it.
If only units could talk to each other and cross load soldiers onto other units MATT weekends.