Has MrTracey lost his mojo?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Oct 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

I know that TA mojo does come and go, but MrT really seems to have lost his over the last few days :(

MrT: how can we restore it?

2. Send him to see Charlotte in Edinburgh, only charges £5 for a dance mid week. Shes done wonders for the moral of my unit .......

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Morale, possibly. Moral? Doubtful! :D

Edited to add: I never actually noticed any mojo from Mr T, merely complaints. Perhaps I missed his positive, go getting, morale boosing opinions about what was good in the TA (Post cold war).
  4. I've certainly lost mine this week... can you promise it will come back?
  5. Oops, have I stumbled across a WRVS meeting?
  6. Sorry chaps, do I sound a little downhearted, sceptical even?

I don't mean to be, it's just that I have a nasty habit of looking ahead - you know the sort of thing, imagining what this great institution of ours might be like in 5 years time if we carry on as we are.

Let's face it, the TA isn't what it was. I can hear the howls of derision already but hear me out. I'm not saying it's bad now, just different. Now, I also appreciate that we have been 'round this tree before, and I don't intend to start another 'I think I want to be diffrerent' debate as we've done that to death.

However, purely objectively, I don't get a warm feeling when I look at what's going on. Our role has changed significantly, and so has the structure of our contribution and indeed, the manner in which we now behave.

In the first 15 years of my TA 'career', I always looked forward to the future with optimism - bouyed up by the obvious enjoyment of the broad TA experience in those around me. Now, I just dread the next reorganisation, round of cuts, naive regular impositions, or watching the organisation I love (and have made a significant commitment to) being seen as little more than a short term expedient to deliver IRs. It is much more than that but is in danger of losing the very essence that holds it together or indeed, makes it so special.

We and the Army should rejoice in the fact that the TA is different, special, unique, and has until now, been self supporting. This is eroded almost daily and often because the TA itself hasn't had the balls to say 'No', or perhaps more importantly, 'there's a better way of doing it and here's a TA solution'....

In my view we are being taken for granted. Like many things in life, if they're taken for granted, they lose their sparkle and ultimately become unimportant when their utility or value diminshes. At this point, such things are usually dumped as they become a burden rather than a benefit.

My Mojo hasn't gone, but my optimism has. The TA needs to retain it's ability to function separately from the regular Army as many of the latter pay little more than lip service, even after the contribution we have made on Ops - I know, I meet them all the time. Come the day, when our contribution isn't quite so vital to fill the gaps, the dilution of the system and structure of the TA, the erosion of the ethos that binds it together and the holes that are already appearing in the TA CofC will consign us to an ignominious end. The TA CofC is like the Arctic - holes appearing everywhere.

That said, I had a right royal piss-up last week, have another next week and will be out at the weekend with some young turks who are full of optimism and energy, so all is not lost.

What we actually need, and the point of my tongue in cheek queries about TA hierarchy, is a voice. We need a 'champion' to stand up and be counted, rally the cause, drag us into the 21st century, restore some pride, accentuate the 'difference' that makes us so unique, and really pick this thing up and run.....I just can't see who that's all.

We also need to focus on what the TA should be like NOW and into the future. Why do people join?, how do we keep them, what are the benefits of membership, how big should it be, what should it look like and how should it deliver value?

Is it time for a drains-up review, a wholesale re-think about Corps, roles, effects, and structure? What exactly are we here to do, for whom and how? Perhaps the whole structure is wrong, and maybe there's a cleaner, better, more enjoyable, less cumbersome, and fun way to deliver utility in a crowded modern existence that doesn't need everyone to be a balls-out warrior?

I think that the immediate challenge is to define our purpose. This will be a mix of reinforcing the regulars, AiS, and gaining new skills/experiences/friends. To do that everyone needs a basic grounding in Mil Skills, some STA Skills thrown in (generic, not specific), with proper benefits (pay, dental etc), all supported by a simple but effective ethical and legal framework. We should then do fun/challenging/life expanding training, combined with a healthy social life and lots of AT. Stuff MATTs, and just keep the fitness thing in perspective. Life is for living.

I should point out that I have a great job in the TA and enjoy every minute.
  7. I'd have dog shit Morale if I lived in Sweaty Sock land too.

Mr Tracey: That post was far too long winded and I couldn't be arrsed to read it. Have you got an exectutive summary?
  8. LUDO - Look Up and Drive On

Champion the Wonder Horse

They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Buzz Lightyear - to infinity and Beyond.

9. Here, here
  10. Wish I could go morale boosing? Is that drinking beer and smiling :D Freudian slip methinks!!
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

But....as long as we wish to be considered "one army", the last part is not possible for us for as long as it is not possible for our regular counterparts
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Feck off :D
  13. But I bet they only do the majority once a year (if that)
  14. Ah Ha - but there lies one of the key underlining, pivotal and potentially key 64,000 dollar questions...do we want to be 'one Army'?

The answer to that would define our future once and for all.
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Sorry, lost me on that one. Care to clarify?