Has Lewis Page gone into the consultancy business?

It does make you wonder how they will cope with the salt water, especially given the problems Rapier had during Corporate.
Someone probably thought it was a good idea...right up until they need to go 'WHOOOSHH' for real.

ugly

LE
I suppose its better than nothing!

I suppose its better than nothing!
It is, the Israelis up until the late 70s were making do with what they had and were still driving around in modded Sherman tanks, so if it works why not.. But, given the UKs new 'lethality' agenda, a jury rigged system is hardly likely to survive a full spectrum threat area.

ugly

LE
It is, the Israelis up until the late 70s were making do with what they had and were still driving around in modded Sherman tanks, so if it works why not.. But, given the UKs new 'lethality' agenda, a jury rigged system is hardly likely to survive a full spectrum threat area.
As long as no one minds ships not sailing because they dont have sam's then its ok, however the gyppos seem to have two manned ships with landing vessels and some sort of air defence.
I'm not sure how bad the storms in the med get but the Humvee mounted kit possibly wouldn't get anymore wet than when in a landing craft and one would expect it would be proofed against that?
Mind you strapping GPMG's onto ships railings is hardly sophisticated is it?

As long as no one minds ships not sailing because they dont have sam's then its ok, however the gyppos seem to have two manned ships with landing vessels and some sort of air defence.
I'm not sure how bad the storms in the med get but the Humvee mounted kit possibly wouldn't get anymore wet than when in a landing craft and one would expect it would be proofed against that?
Mind you strapping GPMG's onto ships railings is hardly sophisticated is it?
With the advent of newer and newer missiles, one could make a half hearted argument that numbers might at some future point count for more, than a small number of floating death stars... Isn't it the perennial argument between quality over quantity? the west seemed to have gone full bore for quality, I note the chinese and russians maintain a mixture of volume crap and smaller numbers of the best.

ugly

LE
It does make you wonder how they will cope with the salt water, especially given the problems Rapier had during Corporate.
Someone probably thought it was a good idea...right up until they need to go 'WHOOOSHH' for real.
Rapiers problems weren't all down to salt water. The system at the time wasn't suited to what we used it for. Tracked rapier if it had been available and on the deck of an LPD would have been more use assuming it wouldn't have been a drunken rolling pig of a deck. That said the two systems shared a name and a missile and thats about it really.

I've clearly missed the subtle nuance, but the only Lewis Page I know of plays as a left back for Charlton Atheltic. Is he a SME on his days off?

Dread

LE
Do you mean once ashore or was there an attempt to use it onboard?
Rapier was suited to defend airfields in Europe: not be chucked into the damp hold of a ship and be bashed about during the journey down south, and wasn't designed to cope well with being bounced around crap tracks and cross-country when it was finally offloaded. While the cloudpunchers managed to get some of them working, their reliability was appalling.

Rapier was suited to defend airfields in Europe: not be chucked into the damp hold of a ship and be bashed about during the journey down south, and wasn't designed to cope well with being bounced around crap tracks and cross-country when it was finally offloaded. While the cloudpunchers managed to get some of them working, their reliability was appalling.
I knew it underperformed ashore. I wanted to establish that was what @Speedy meant.

Yokel

LE
I've clearly missed the subtle nuance, but the only Lewis Page I know of plays as a left back for Charlton Atheltic. Is he a SME on his days off?
Ask @Not a Boffin, @alfred_the_great, or @A2_Matelot about him, or maybe @Guns or @Bouillabaisse, or @Dunservin.

Basically he was an RN Lt - a Mine Clearence and Diving Officer, but when the Navy wanted to post him to a larger ship that was not a Minehunter, he threw his teddies out of the pram. Then he started writing articles of how frigates and destroyers are not needed....

He writes total shit which the media laps up, such as:

- Converting a merchant ship with a few lashed up weapons would be better than properly designed and integrated warships.

- Converting an oil tanker into a CTOL carrier would be cheaper than a carrier designed and built as such.

- Wearing underpants on your head provides better protection for firefighting teams than a PVA Gold and EDBA.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Not for long, it isn't.
So improvising something using the load you are delivering is bad is it? Well I suppose we shouldn't have won the Falklands campaign by such blatant cheating and improvisation then eh!

Dread

LE
I knew it underperformed ashore. I wanted to establish that was what @Speedy meant.
The old versions of Rapier would only perform on a ship if it were perfectly still: any movement beyond a dead calm sea and the launcher would 'lose' the missile (as the missile rides a very narrow command beam), causing the missile to enter ballistic flight (i.e. straight) for a very short period of time (2 seconds rings a bell but there must be someone who knows the correct answer) and then self-destruct. That's because the 'brains' are in the launcher. Thus where the missiles are fire-and-forget this problem wouldn't arise: once launched the missile tracks the target: not the operator or tracker radar on the ground.

At least that's what my addled memory tells me.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Having been in a storm in the Med which stove in the bow plates of an aircraft carrier* and another that drove a rather large liner ashore in Gib in the same year, I can assure all that there is more to it than is seen by the holidaymaker in his summer deck chair.

As to the SAM etc. the trick is to know that the enemy is coming in the first place, in time to respond. The missile is only one part of the total system. This of course goes unrecognised by qualified diver Lewis Page, politicians, the Daily Mail etc.

* don't ask me the wind speed, the wind tore off her anemometer. I was in an accompanying frigate, shipping it green clean over the bridge and down the funnel. Bring it on!

Who the F is Lewis Page?
The author of this:

Which, if using the 'load of b****cks' metric to assess its worth as a book, puts this character to shame:

(Evidence referenced on several occasions on here - but includes such gems as the Tornado F3 being an agile fighter because it had a gun)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Old & Bold 80
alfred_the_great Current Affairs, News and Analysis 12
RRFHASBEEN The Intelligence Cell 33

Latest Threads