Has joining the common market now backfired on us?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by AIR FILTER, Jan 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks to me that the grand master plan of the creation of the common market in only two generations has now gone full circle and has now come to a crashing halt.

The question is ... Has joining the common market now backfired on the UK?
  2. What is your opinion on this?
  3. It is my esteemed opinion that joining anything 'common' is bound to end in tears.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. It was a shafting from the start, for example every third Euro of EU money still gets handed over to French farmers, that was set in concrete when there were only two members.

Britain was forced to decimalise, not just the currency.

Our industry had to retool to metric. For example we used to be the world leaders in plumbing, pipes and pipe fittings. The french made a fuss and we had to change to metric sizes, not just any metric sizes, the French sizes which all cost our industry a packet and left the door wide open for them. Now I live in Germany and the pipework in my 30 year old house is in inches with British Standard pipe threads, the Germans had adopted our stuff as the best and were never made to change.

Interestingly when I buy meat here I order it by the Pfund (500g). The Germans were decimalised early due to Napoleon's invasion, but they still use the old words.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. "So what did the Romans ever do for us....."

The Common market has meant..

- Cheaper beer in the UK. Economic studies show that alcohol is about 1/3 cheaper in relative terms than it was in 1980, thanks to rtemoving the price differential between the UK and France. Being in the EU means that as Brits we get about £12Bn booze for our money.

- Cheaper Cars. When I was first posted the BAOR cars were so expensive in the UK (Uk premium + car tax) that a new tax free car in Germany was cheaper than a three year old model in the UK.

- The opportunity to live and work anywhere in the EU. There are about 300k Britis living in Spain and another 250k in France. If you don't like crime, British cities or a multi cultural society go and live in rural France. I know of one met police officer who commutes from Brive.

And for what its worth, its pretty handy to have a single currency across the different countries in Europe. Nor have we been asked to take sides in some Europeran war.

6. Joining a common European trading block was a great idea.

The rest of it, including the way it was done, not so great IMO.
  7. The loss of political and democratic freedoms is far too high a price to pay for joining the European club, run as it is by the unelected. We joined a COMMON MARKET, not a Federal Europe.

As for the Euro, in the words of the erudite Captain Blackadder: "It's bollocks, Baldrick."
  8. A very fine statement, but surely one of degree. What bits of sovereignty do you want back in exchange for the price of alcohol going up by 50%?

Over the same time, we have accepted a defence policy which assumes that Britain will only go to war as an auxiliary of the USA.
  9. All of them.
  10. 1. The right for our courts to deport asylum seekers back to their country of origin.
    2. The right for our government to decide whether prisoners vote or not.

That'll do for a start.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Apart from Bosnia. And Kosovo.

The lack of a major European war since 1945 has nothing to do with the EEC/EU/Common Market and much more to do with a couple of million Soviet, East German, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian and Bulgarian troops sitting round in their T-55s waiting to invade Western Europe. France, the UK, Spain and Germany, for once, had more important things to worry about than fighting each other.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. It is also worth noting that the welding of differing States into a single polity tends to require a particularly savage war to accomplish.
  13. I don't believe that the original concept of a Common Market was a bad idea. If it had been kept to lowering trade barriers and the free movement of folks from one country to another, then things could have worked out fine. It's just that there were a few who fucked it all up. The ******-uppers-in-chief were Jaques Delors, because he foresaw a leading role for "La France" in Europe, and that thicky fat twat Helmut Kohl, who desperately wanted the respect he never had in Germany, where he was dismissed as the bumbling, inarticulate bozo that he was. Additionally, Kohl wanted to ride to recognition on the Frog tailcoats. The plot suddenly thickened when the Berlin Wall fell. The Frogs saw themselves reduced in their starring role and thought it would be better to cast the Federal States of Europe in concrete before the Boxheeds became too powerful. That was the start of the Lisbon Treaty that nobody wanted. It became part of the political dogma that the FDE also needed a common currency. So against all reason, that bollock-brain Delors pushed the issue and the EU ended up with a seriously flawed result for the euro that was ratified as the Maastricht Treaty.

As others on the thread have already noted, there was no way for engineering any sort of reasonable convergence of such diametrically opposed economies such as Germany, Greece, Italy and France. There's also the important point that they agreed on a central bank, but wouldn't allow it to function like a central bank, i.e. the Septic Treasury or the Brit Bank of England. They have the power and the authority to print money, but the euro was issued by the individual central banks of the (originally 17) states participating in the euro. That's not the way to run an economic entity as vast as Europe. It's small wonder that they've encountered exactly the difficulties that were foreseen for the euro as early as 1992.

Interestingly, I was in Brussels on business in early 1997 and I asked the relevant authorities what was to be the name of the new currency, and what would be the further denomination, i.e. A Frog franc had 100 centimes, a Swiss franc had 100 Rappen, etc. Nobody could give me an answer. And that was a scant two years before the euro was introduced. It beggars belief.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Have you any links to this statement. I can only find data from 2004, and it only shows France receiving just over a fifth (22%), but from later years even less (see below)

BBC News - Q&A: Reform of EU farm policy
  15. Did you actually read my post? What does the price of alcohol have to do with what I said?

Just for the record: You can put the price of alcohol up by 100% for all I care.

I am far more interested in not losing the democratic rights and privileges which were won over nearly a thousand years of fighting and reform in the UK, in favour of a constant stream of dictats emanating from an unelected parliament in Brussels and Strasbourg.

"Over the same time, we have accepted a defence policy which assumes that Britain will only go to war as an auxiliary of the USA."

No we haven't.

The tone and content of your posts indicates that it may well indeed be a good thing if alcohol was priced out of your reach.
    • Like Like x 3